That's one big wiener!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jerry Almeida, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jun 7, 1999
    Jerry Almeida
    link Sorry, no pictures. [​IMG]

So, for those of us who have been fortunate enough to have Chicago Style Hot Dogs and New York Style, ie Nathan's, Grays Papaya. Which do you prefer?

I like Chicago Style Hot Dogs the best, but I'm biased because I'm from Chicago.
  2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Feb 11, 2002
    As a self-styled N.Y. hot dog snob, I prefer Beef hot dogs that are in a casing. These can be Sabrett, Nathans, Boars Head, ...
    The casing makes all the difference. A dog that's not in a casing just doesn't compare.
    The dog can be boiled or grilled. If boiled, the water must resemble the east river, a la the NYC pushcart dog.

The bun must be fresh and NOT a New England style bun. A New England style bun is a piece of folded white bread. Don't let any one tell you otherwise.

The mustard should be a deli style mustard (I like the Hebrew National stuff right now), Guldens is acceptable while the yellow 'baby-puke' stuff is not.

1 at a time !! I'm eating a hot dog here, not a salad.
    Cole slaw (runnier the better), Kraut, sweet relish, onions (the Sabrett pushcart stuff is available in the stores).

I have seen the Chicago style dogs that resemble a chef's salad but have never eaten one. It is out of respect for the city that I will reserve judgement until I eat one.
    I flat out reject any dog with 'chili' and cheese.
    There you go, my humble opinion on hot dogs. Let the grilling begin !
  3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Nov 2, 2002