1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

That's Entertainment

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Bob_S., Aug 25, 2016.

1. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Most likely a rights issue - things disappear pretty regularly from iTunes, only to reappear later. I doubt it would have anything to do with a remaster. SD masters are frequently replaced by HD ones, and HD by 4K, without the title ever being pulled from sale or rental.

Ross Gowland likes this.
  2. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    I sincerely wish the original That's Entertainment! - at least - would get remastered on Blu. It's pure magic. The DVD release, as already mentioned, had the clips presented in their original aspect ratios. The Blu preserves the original intent of the film makers, who chose to 'blow up' and crop several of the clips to conform to the 1.85:1 screen ratio. Personally, I've always found this off-putting as grain get amplified and head shots intermittently look very cramped. If WAC would just go back and reinsert the remastered clips in their proper 1.33:1 and remaster the image to current standards, I sincerely believe the results would be a great improvement over what's already out in hi-def.

I love all three That's Entertainment! movies but Parts II and particularly, III, look awful on Blu at present, with soft image quality and murky colors. Both need video master upgrades. These movies, and That's Dancing! - which has never arrived on Blu, need to be given the deluxe treatment in hi-def. Will they ever get it? Hmmmmm.

3. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I doubt the cost of pulling all those disparate elements and restoring them all would be justified. Maybe once all the films included have been restored on their own, but that might be many many years. I think we're stuck with the dupe elements in the documentary itself as they are.

4. Mikey1969

Mikey1969 Second Unit

M. Fox
    I wonder if the series will end up at the Warner Archive.

5. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    I think, at this point, the best chance any of these would have of being improved for Blu-ray would be if they were licensed out to Criterion. I could have sworn that WAC said something on Facebook a few years back that they would be unable to do That's Dancing. I assume it might have something to do with the fact that it uses footage from movies not owned by Warner, which would mean Criterion might be in a better position to do that film than WAC might be. At this point, WAC is unlikely for the others if only because they so far haven't gone back and re-done anything WHV released on Blu-ray, just re-released OOP discs.