That's Entertainment

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The first film seems to have vanished from iTunes (in the UK at least).

Does that mean anything other than the mere fact that studio have withdrawn the rights? Could it mean that they’re working on a remaster?
Most likely a rights issue - things disappear pretty regularly from iTunes, only to reappear later. I doubt it would have anything to do with a remaster. SD masters are frequently replaced by HD ones, and HD by 4K, without the title ever being pulled from sale or rental.

Reactions: Ross Gowland

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I sincerely wish the original That's Entertainment! - at least - would get remastered on Blu. It's pure magic. The DVD release, as already mentioned, had the clips presented in their original aspect ratios. The Blu preserves the original intent of the film makers, who chose to 'blow up' and crop several of the clips to conform to the 1.85:1 screen ratio. Personally, I've always found this off-putting as grain get amplified and head shots intermittently look very cramped. If WAC would just go back and reinsert the remastered clips in their proper 1.33:1 and remaster the image to current standards, I sincerely believe the results would be a great improvement over what's already out in hi-def.

I love all three That's Entertainment! movies but Parts II and particularly, III, look awful on Blu at present, with soft image quality and murky colors. Both need video master upgrades. These movies, and That's Dancing! - which has never arrived on Blu, need to be given the deluxe treatment in hi-def. Will they ever get it? Hmmmmm.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I doubt the cost of pulling all those disparate elements and restoring them all would be justified. Maybe once all the films included have been restored on their own, but that might be many many years. I think we're stuck with the dupe elements in the documentary itself as they are.

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
I sincerely wish the original That's Entertainment! - at least - would get remastered on Blu. It's pure magic. The DVD release, as already mentioned, had the clips presented in their original aspect ratios. The Blu preserves the original intent of the film makers, who chose to 'blow up' and crop several of the clips to conform to the 1.85:1 screen ratio. Personally, I've always found this off-putting as grain get amplified and head shots intermittently look very cramped. If WAC would just go back and reinsert the remastered clips in their proper 1.33:1 and remaster the image to current standards, I sincerely believe the results would be a great improvement over what's already out in hi-def.

I love all three That's Entertainment! movies but Parts II and particularly, III, look awful on Blu at present, with soft image quality and murky colors. Both need video master upgrades. These movies, and That's Dancing! - which has never arrived on Blu, need to be given the deluxe treatment in hi-def. Will they ever get it? Hmmmmm.
I think, at this point, the best chance any of these would have of being improved for Blu-ray would be if they were licensed out to Criterion. I could have sworn that WAC said something on Facebook a few years back that they would be unable to do That's Dancing. I assume it might have something to do with the fact that it uses footage from movies not owned by Warner, which would mean Criterion might be in a better position to do that film than WAC might be. At this point, WAC is unlikely for the others if only because they so far haven't gone back and re-done anything WHV released on Blu-ray, just re-released OOP discs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I hope but doubt that the extras and other things already mentioned in the previous posts from the old dvd sets missing from the previous Blu-ray set are now included.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The Blu preserves the original intent of the film makers, who chose to 'blow up' and crop several of the clips to conform to the 1.85:1 screen ratio. Personally, I've always found this off-putting as grain get amplified and head shots intermittently look very cramped. If WAC would just go back and reinsert the remastered clips in their proper 1.33:1 and remaster the image to current standards, I sincerely believe the results would be a great improvement over what's already out in hi-def.
Since you mention "original intent" that's what should be preserved. "That's Entertainment!" was shown in 70mm with stereophonic sound, so the purpose of those select sequences was to take advantage of the format. Frank Sinatra's narration points this out during "The Great Ziegfeld" sequence when he says, "If anyone could afford to film this extravagant number today, perhaps it would look something like this." At that point the picture expands to fill the screen and the audio is remixed for stereo. As a kid watching this on a 4x3 mono CED VideoDisc, I never understood his narration because the picture and sound didn't change for me.

This is an odd title. Currently it's not on any streamer except Amazon, where I purchased my copy. The sequels are on Movies Anywhere and the usual providers. I'll probably wind up ordering this new Blu-ray release though.

I've always loved this film and it has extra meaning to me now. My wife works on the Sony lot, which is the old MGM lot, so I've walked past and know exactly where many of the places are in this film. It's a kick to see the old black and white footage of the lot.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Bob_S. and PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Annoyingly even though That's Entertainment 2 is available on VUDU when trying to use disc to digital I get the error message that it is not eligible for this service. Years ago I was able to do the disc to digital on VUDU for the 1st and 3rd films. As I posted on the Warner Archive thread the problem with clip films is that the clips are not upgraded when the films the clips are from are upgraded. The "That's Entertainment " film clips were upgraded to the then current Ultra Resolution for films that had been upgraded when the set was released on DVD for the first time but I don't think the clips have been updated since.

I liked that the DVD versions of the films allowed you the choice of viewing the films with all the clips in their original aspect radio or as it was shown theatrically with the zoomed in clips. I believe the clips all in their original aspect radio was the TV version of the films though I don't remember if the wide screen clips were panned and scanned when the first two films were first shown on broadcast TV.

Last edited:

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Well, I guess I jumped at re-buying the DVD set too quickly.

However, my DVD copies of 1 and 3 are acting like Warners DVDs of a certain age so a triple dip might be necessary.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Do you think the archive version is just a re-release of the original blu-rays, or did they cut in stuff that has been remastered since? That might make the quality even more variable, albeit in the right direction.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Based on the price point and prior history with comparable titles, it’s going to be a simple repress/repackage. The expense of re-editing the master and re-authoring the discs would probably cost more than this reissue could reasonably be expected to make.

Reactions: Richard M S

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
It was supposed to be out today but now it looks like it's been pushed back a month. (blu-ray.com says September 22nd) Maybe Warners wants to fix the glitch?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Even though it has not been available to purchase for a number of years, I still have access to the VUDU version of the original "That's Entertainment" purchased when it was available. As I previously mentioned the B&W clips on the streaming version look to my eye much better than the blu ray so I would assume work was done since the original blu ray was released. For anyone purchasing the Warner Archive version, hopefully what was used for the streaming version is used for the new blu ray.

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I'm going to ask you all to think back forty-six years to when That’s Entertainment was in theaters to answer my two questions.

- Did "Over the Rainbow" have the sepia tint?
- Did 70mm prints have the CinemaScope clips printed to fill the width of the frame?

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I'm going to ask you all to think back forty-six years to when That’s Entertainment was in theaters to answer my two questions.

- Did "Over the Rainbow" have the sepia tint?
- Did 70mm prints have the CinemaScope clips printed to fill the width of the frame?
I saw the original release at the Ziegfeld in NY. I don’t remember how they showed Over the Rainbow, but I do recall that CinemeScope films (7 Brides, Gigi) filled the whole frame and some academy ratio films (Show Boat, 51) were cropped to widescreen. Sound was remarkable for the age of many films.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Ah, yes, I remember it well. The CinemaScope films were presented full width with a slight letterbox on the top and bottom to achieve the correct aspect ratio.

Reactions: mBen989

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Ah, yes, I remember it well. The CinemaScope films were presented full width with a slight letterbox on the top and bottom to achieve the correct aspect ratio.
It annoys me today that some of the smaller auditoriums in multiplexes show 2:35 ratio films letterboxed. Even Hateful 8, filmed in an ultra widescreen ratio was slightly letterboxed even though in a big theatre.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It annoys me today that some of the smaller auditoriums in multiplexes show 2:35 ratio films letterboxed. Even Hateful 8, filmed in an ultra widescreen ratio was slightly letterboxed even though in a big theatre.
That was being discussed in these threads:

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I received my copy from Amazon today.

I'll check to see if Part 2 still has the glitch. I just need to know when.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbob7777