What's new

That's Entertainment (2 Viewers)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Before I get rid of my dvd set, does the blu-ray set carry over all the extras that the dvds had? Tried searching for the review but came up empty.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm not sure about the extras.

One thing that did not come over were the two versions of each film.

The Blu-Ray has the theatrical version.

When the TE movies were made, they were widescreen. Some of the older clips were pillar-boxed, and some were blown-up/tilt-and-scan.

For the DVDs, a second special version was made where all the clips were in their original aspect ratios (I don't remember if Academy was pillar-boxed in a Enhanced 16x9 screen, or Widescreen was letter-boxed in a 4x3 screen).

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, all of the extras from the DVD box have been ported over. I think it was a missed opportunity to include THAT'S DANCING in the blu ray set.....but it wasn't in the DVD set, either. Instead of the 4th DVD, they've sprinkled the supplements over the 3 blu ray discs. Also be aware that the blu ray discs are older VC1 encodes, but I still find them to be significant upgrades from the DVDs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed the set in the very early days of Blu-ray releases, so that review may have been lost in the years and many moves since that time.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
When TE3 was released on laserdisc, they actually re-assembled the film using updated and remastered elements (where available) from each film, and the results were great. Some of the extras from that set were dropped for the (now out of print) DVD release. Unfortunately the bluray is an older encode of a mediocre master, and barely an upgrade from the DVD set. Many of the film clips used in the film are from films subsequently remastered and upgraded in much improved versions.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have the blu-ray set and the old DVD set. No question that the blu-ray is a big improvement over the DVD.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The streaming version reduced the snow on the B&W clips that was a problem with the blu ray. Not scrubbed clean but much nicer to watch in my opinion. I doubt Warner Bros will ever revisit this blu ray . To me the steaming version on Vudu is the way to go. For some reason this film didn't go over to Movies Anywhere when I bought from Vudu when they were having sale to purchase a digital copy if you owned the blu ray. It was like $2 per film. Oddly That's Entertainment 3 did go over to MA and Vudu didn't seem to have That's Entertainment 2 during that sale.

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I remember when i got the UK DVD box set of this it was Mono, the USA version is Stereo much better:)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It has its faults, especially since so much material has been subsequently remastered, but I'm still glad to have what is still a fabulous compendium of classic movie moments, along with its starring host roles for Astaire and Kelly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought that a good portion of the extras did not get movies to the Blu-ray set.

Taylor * D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Its funny that this thread was bumped; I just rewatched That's Entertainment, Part II this past weekend. I had seen the trilogy years ago, when TVO would often air the first one as part of its Saturday Night at the Movies programming block. What a treat seeing two of the silver screens greatest dancers together on screen. The copy iTunes has available was top notch too, considering most of the films presented don't have HD releases. Reminded of a bunch of movies I've yet to watch too :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I thought that a good portion of the extras did not get movies to the Blu-ray set.

The main difference that I recall was that the DVD set included two versions of the films, the theatrical as seen in theaters and a second version where the 4:3 clips were not fitted to widescreen. The DVDs were flippers. The bonus versions were the TV versions when TVs had 4:3 ratio screens.

I don't recall if these making of featurettes were on the DVD,

And from the Oscars:

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Part 2 has always been my least favorite of the three That's Entertainment films. While I adore Astaire and Kelly and it's great seeing them still hoofing with grace and aplomb, the movie clips themselves were rather haphazardly arranged in many cases and Fred and Gene monopolize the clips. They're undoubtedly great, but there were plenty of other great performers and numbers to pick from, and this second effort disappointed me.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I hope when they do a 4K upgrade that they would go back and reassemble the films using clips from the individual remastered films, as many have had solid upgrades. The clips as they appear in the film are quite outdated, and I don't think would much improved (even of they had the OCN available) by a straight scan.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
TE2 lacks the focus of the original. Including comedy clips and seemingly jumping from clip to clip randomly gets frustrating after a while, despite the presence of Astaire and Kelly. The opening credits are fun, though.

Part 2 has always been my least favorite of the three That's Entertainment films. While I adore Astaire and Kelly and it's great seeing them still hoofing with grace and aplomb, the movie clips themselves were rather haphazardly arranged in many cases and Fred and Gene monopolize the clips. They're undoubtedly great, but there were plenty of other great performers and numbers to pick from, and this second effort disappointed me.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The main difference that I recall was that the DVD set included two versions of the films, the theatrical as seen in theaters and a second version where the 4:3 clips were not fitted to widescreen. The DVDs were flippers. The bonus versions were the TV versions when TVs had 4:3 ratio screens.

I don't recall if these making of featurettes were on the DVD,

And from the Oscars:

Second clip is pure magic!

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
The first film seems to have vanished from iTunes (in the UK at least).

Does that mean anything other than the mere fact that studio have withdrawn the rights? Could it mean that they’re working on a remaster?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks