That's Entertainment trilogy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorossy, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

This was released a long time ago on laserdisc with, I believe, more footage than was put on the tape. Any word on this showing up on dvd.

2. Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard Stunt Coordinator

Lee
    I'd be all over these.

Regards,
    Lee

3. Amano Ai

Amano Ai Agent

Count me in as well.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    These 3 films will require some interesting mastering for DVD...

All of the newly shot footage was shot in Panavision (2.35:1) and the clips range from 1.20:1 (Broadway Melody), 1.33:1 (most clips...such as The Wizard of Oz), and a few 2.55:1 clips from CinemaScope era films.

Perhaps windowbox the Academy and Movietone aspect ratio films within the 1.78:1 frame, and simply cut from different aspect ratios.

5. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

To clarify some inaccuracies:

The "new" footage for the first THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! was shot in 1:33.1. The "new" footage shot for THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT, PART 2 and THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! III was shot 1.85:1.

There is a further problem complicating a DVD release of these films as a trilogy. Turner/WB owns the 1st 2 films,
    but home video rights to the 3rd remain with the current
    MGM.

Likely that WB would release 1, and perhaps 2, but they'd probably have to go back to original film elements on the clips for a new transfer, as the original negatives on the
    compilation features were formatted for theatrical projection with most of the clips being 1.33 and matted on top, bottom, and sides.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

7. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Wrong, Patrick! That's Entertainment III was a co-prod between Turner and MGM in '94. Turner got TV rights. MGM got video and theatrical. This was explained at the time of release. The reversion of Turner's old library in the last few years did not effect TE III which was a separate situation.

Also, although TE 1 & 2 were blown up to 70mm, the new footage in TE 1 was shown 1.33. I saw it in 70mm several times and I'm certain of this. They may used Panavision cameras and lenses, but did not shoot anamorphic. The new footage in "2" was "full frame" in the 70mm prints, but the new footage in "1" was masked to 1.33.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

That whole TEIII split between Turner and the current MGM would definitely hinder a three disc set, knowing the frosty history between MGM and WB.
    If I were working for the Brothers Warner, I would advise them to buy out the film and video rights, maybe offer something in exchange. Say, give up those few remaining Cannon titles that they have been for the most part hoarding (SHY PEOPLE, SURRENDER, OVER THE TOP). MGM is better at marketing the old Golan-Globus exploitation fare anyway.