What's new

That's All Folks!! - Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6, the end (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well this is definitely some sad news. Looks like Vol. 6 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection due out on 10/21 will be the last collection in the series.

TVShowsOnDVD

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
This is the absolute worst possible dvd news that I can imagine. This sucks!!!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
This is terrible. Why? Were these not selling well anymore. Anyone here have any contact at WB. We absolutley need an explanation for this.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
This is shocking news indeed. Particularly since some beloved Looney Tunes characters have been very underrepresented on the currently available sets (e.g. Pepe Le Pew and Foghorn Leghorn).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

My thoughts exactly!! How can they even contemplate ending the series with so few Foghorn shorts represented? I have supported this series all along even though there have been several volumes with very little that I was interested in. If this is true, I may be done now and save my money on Volume 6.

WB had better watch their tails because Sony & Fox are going to pass them in regards to their handling of their back catalog. They set the bench mark and now they're backing away.

Also, wasn't this series projected to be 10+ volumes by Jerry Beck at the very beginning?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On a positive note it is available for preorder at the Warner Bros Store. There is currently a 30% off coupon which is good on preorders.
Looney Tunes: Golden Collection Vol. 6 (DVD)

Quantity DVD $49.95 Total Price $49.95
Your Savings ($14.98)
Your Price $34.97

Use code: ANWBTS to get 30% off an order of 2 or more items (won't work on one item) Code info came from DVDTALK Bargain thread

Free shipping on orders over $50.

Looney Tunes: Golden Collection Vol. 6 from Warner Home Video on DVD -

I suppose it is possible that Warners will switch to 2 disc sets like they did with Popeye in the future.
Though said to be the last Golden Collection it was not said to be the last Looney Tunes collection.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

That's a good point, but if so WB should have been much more careful with their wording. There are still many favorites of mine that MIA.

LCD22

Screenwriter

"Hare-Way to the Stars" is one notable (for me at least) that is still MIA.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry Beck just posted this over at GAC:

I feel a little better now. Maybe they are switching to charcter themed discs or some such. As long as they don't start double dipping, i'll be fine with that. And as long as Jerry is working on this instead of the "family division" we can expect some great dvds.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
hopefully they continue, maybe in themed sets like "The War Yeas" or something. I'll buy any they put out, provided they don't repeat too many shorts....

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Glad to know Mr. Beck squelched the chaos before it really got going. As said before, they're likely changing up the release format and no longer calling it the Golden Collection after this release. As long as they don't repeat films they could call the releases "Radioactive Sets That Will Kill You Slowly Collection" and I'd still pick them up. :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i was thinking the exact same thing and checked cartoonbrew and GAC just to see if any thing else had been stated. that fact that this is the last of this series, i really like the format that they have nice mix, now that poses the question as to what we have in store for us in the future, possibly a chronological set in sd and HD??? only time will tell

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wow, great lineup. I'm hoping all the bonus shorts are the "banned" shorts like Coal Black. Hopefully remastered, though.

Perhaps WB is going to switch to just bare-bones 2-disc Spotlite Collection sets instead?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand the need for ending the Golden Collections. I'd really like an official reason for this. I very highly doubt these weren't selling well.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Stepping away from the swirling drain of despair for a minute, I have to agree with Patrick that Volume 6 looks like a really good set.

Additionally, I find it hard to get upset about the future of Looney Tunes on home video without knowing what it is. If it winds up being more frequently released smaller sets (e.g. 2-disc sets like the change in strategy for Popeye) branded as something other than Golden Collections, then I could live with that as long as there is not a lot of double dipping required on already collected cartoons.

Regards,

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
lots of faves. Horton should be uncut, lots of Bosko too! YAY!

Curious to see if Coal Black and the others are on this. Disc 2 looks like it was made for the rest of the "banned" ones., and Coal Black had some war jokes if I recall. Used to be able to see it on YOUTUBE, one of the deadliest funny shorts I've seen.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Russell, I can't stand theme stuff. Give me a random helping and I'm way happier. At any rate, I'll be happy with any continuation of these.

I still haven't gone beyond Vol 1 but plan to buy the rest all together very soon. It'll be great to know there is more coming. I figured the releases would continue until the set is fairly complete.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
A restored uncut "Horton Hatches the Egg" has actually been on DVD for a few years. It was on the "The Best of Dr. Seuss" from 2003. Check out the Amazon listing for a review from a parent agog over the "Now I've seen everything" suicide fish gag. :)

As presented on that disc, Horton looks every bit as good as the cartoons released on the Golden Collections. This release was made redundant by the recent reissue of the "Horton Hears a Who" TV special on DVD earlier this year that reproduced its contents as extras.

Regards,

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Looks like a great set -- lots of cult favourites, a whole disc of wartime cartoons and a whole disc of early Thirties shorts -- plus Bosko on the cover :)

My guess is that Warner is dropping the "Golden Collection" brand to accommodate the fact that less archive material remains to use as extras. We may see future Looney Tunes releases consisting of just cartoons, with maybe one or two short documentaries, necesitating a re-branding. Just a hunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks