What's new

That time you found yourself alone in a movie theater... (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The first time I found myself alone in a movie theater was in 1995 for a screening of Hackers.

Yesterday this happened again at the Mamma Mia 10th anniversary Fathom Event. While I enjoyed the event, it was marred by Fathom showing a pan and scan version of the film like you might see on HBO where they make everything 1.77:1. I know this was a Fathom issue and not an issue with the theater since they letterboxed both the opening and closing titles.

Back to the point of this thread. What were the movies where you were the only person attending a screening of a film?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
My son and I went to Planet of the Apes (the last one) and it was just the 2 of us. We went to see Goosebumps 2 2 weeks ago and it was just the two of us and 2 other people.

Just the way I like it. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's happened to me a couple times, but I cannot recall the titles of the films.

It happens more often that I think I'm going to get a private screening as I'm the only person in the theater when the lights go off, but a few minutes later some dumbass latecomers bumble in, stumbling around in the dark.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've also had people stumble into the theater at the last minute.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Where I live that simply cannot happen. Too many people. You can be alone at home but nowhere else. I would love to have the experience though. I might even sit through a M. Night Shyamalan film if I could have the theater to myself. Then again, nah...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I do remember one time I was with a group of three and we were the only viewers for a showing of Anaconda.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
My son and I went to Planet of the Apes (the last one) and it was just the 2 of us. We went to see Goosebumps 2 2 weeks ago and it was just the two of us and 2 other people.

Just the way I like it. :)

This is a fairly old forum. I have been the only person in a cinema on one occasion but the screening still went ahead regardless. It also happened once where I worked. In Australia if there are less than 5 patrons in a cinema or live theatre they can cancel the show.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The one that comes to mind was North Dallas Forty. I had to have new tires installed, so I dropped the auto off and attended an afternoon screening in the mall, all by myself.

Another time a friend and I went to see an afternoon showing of The Empire Strikes Back and we were the only ones in the theater (it had been out for awhile.) The manager told us they were having 'projector problems' and gave us tickets for a later showing. While I can't prove it one way or the other, it seemed like they didn't want to go to the trouble of screening the film for only two patrons.

- Walter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
In Australia if there are less than 5 patrons in a cinema or live theatre they can cancel the show.

But why do that? The patrons have already arrived and paid, as have the employees.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
THE REF (1994), with Denis Leary, at the old DeMille Theater in Times Square (one screen out of three in an old movie palace carved up into a multiplex) on a weeknight. And I had wanted to see it with an audience. But no, just me.

2nd time: DIGIMON: THE MOVIE (2000), a children's animated movie (Japanese origin), seen on a weeknight at the Village East. Just me.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I see alot of movies so it happens once or twice a year to me. The first time I can remember it happening was with Cursed (the Wes Craven movie).

A few years ago, I saw The Neon Demon and was the only person in theater. With about about 20 minutes left in the movie, some ushers turned on the lights in the theater and came into clean. They apologized and turned around when I said "Someone's watching the movie, man." :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With everything being digital and automated today, I'd imagine there are films that play to completely empty rooms on occasion. Unless there's some connection in the network between the box office and the projection room that prevents the projector from starting if no tickets are sold.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The movie would probably have to start so anyone showing up 10 minutes past show time can still see the movie.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
But why do that? The patrons have already arrived and paid, as have the employees.

Staffing issues perhaps? Who knows. Just something in the way he said it. (??) This is the most of thought about it since Empire was in its first theatrical run.

Anyway, time for some of this.... -_-

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This happened to me twice- for The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2003?), and earlier this year for a matinee showing of Blockers. I enjoyed both films, and REALLY enjoyed both experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAR
Recent bookmarks