What's new

That is IT!!! If no Outlaw 950 by 2/15/02 then... (1 Viewer)

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
i've had it,waiting for the 950 since middle of last year,

now that i am done with my basement remodeling job(i have received my projector,my amps,panasonic 91K dvd player,

dish 6000)today i was told that my screen will be in on monday,so with my vacation starting on 2/16/02 guess what i will be doing on saturday so i need a pre-pro(looking at Anthem)i know its more money but what would you do with

all these boxes just staring at you.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Must resist...

There currently isn't any new processor with the features (especially true DTS-ES & DD EX decoding, and adjustable crossovers) of a Model 950 in the same price category.

The delay is to work out bugs in the decoding codes that many, many other companies have decided to do nothing about.

Must resist...

I bet soon after you return from vacation you'll have notice that your Model 950 is ready to ship (you did put yourself on the reservation list didn't you?). Ever hear of Murphy's Law?

Dan

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Bruce,

I can understand your particular frustration (the rest of us are sitting back and waiting with existing equipment in place so we don't have the same sense of urgency about this). However, as others have mentioned, there is nothing out there that can touch the 950 at its price/performance point.

Here's a possible suggestion: Assuming that you are high enough on the Outlaw list to get one of the first units, can you work out a deal with the supplier of your Anthem (or whatever) whereby you can audition it for a period of time (like the 950) and then return it if you wish? That way you can at least leave the door open for the 950.

Otherwise you might be kicking yourself in a month or so.

Just a thought.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Who really cares?

The Rotel 1066 will probably arrive before the 950/2000.

They had their window of opportunity, it's over now.

T.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Holy crap Batman! Now you've done it. You've opened up a BIG can of worms.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
please everyone understand how i feel,i am so close to what
a lot of us want...a real home theater with projector in the basement with a 52" x 92" screen.
i have wanted this for so long and after conning:) my wife into this and to have it almost ready and still yet another delay.
now i wish to say this i really like the outlaw company
(i have the 1050 in the main kids play room) and i understand they are trying to make the 950 the best they can but how much longer can i wait i go on vaction on 2/16
and plan to have every thing hooked up by sunday and really give the projector a good workout all week and i must have sound so i shall have to start looking at other options like the Anthem or others,but if we hear from
outlaw and says the 950 will be out for sure by,say,the end of Feb then i will wait but this in the dark guessing
(i did call them last friday and asked them how soon and all they said was they were working on it as best as they can) does not give me high hopes.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I don't see how the Outlaw has the highest price/performance ratio when the performance is still unknown...?!

And yes, the 750 amp and 1050 had good price/performance ratios, but no better than other brands when you factor in online dealer prices (and Outlaw is by definition, online pricing).

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I sold my denon 3801 in early november because outlaw said the 950 would be out by Thanksgiving. I waited three looong weeks untill they announced another delay. I decided to go with the denon 4802 and all is well. I figure that whenever they do come out with the 950 that it wont be to much longer before they come out with their 1500.00 unit which Im more interested in anyway. By that time I would have enjoyed my 4802 for 6 months. Their will be plenty of other options by that time- rotel, sherwood etc. Im sure the reviews on the 950 will be glowing, that is untill the outlaw 1500.00 or rotel comes out:)

J

John Morris

Don't hold your breadth on the Rotel 1066. I just heard, second hand, that they are having alot of trouble with lowering the noise floor on this unit. According to the guy who told me, it is unrelated to the noise problems they had on their previous preamps. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens...?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I think the Right Honorable Mr. Fowkes has the best idea. Since you want to be living in Home Theater Nirvana during your vacation, I would see if a local dealer would allow you to demo a unit that you are considering instead of the Outlaw.

There's nothing deceptive about doing this at all. Let's face it. If you audition an Anthem and it puts you into catatonic bliss, you're going to have a heckuva time returning it to the store even IF the Outlaw 950 becomes available in that time.

Give Outlaw's competition a chance to sway you.

(I'm also on the waiting list, by the way. But I have a full system in place so I can stand the siege as long as it takes.)

PS -- You could always take the 1050 away from the kids and use IT as a pre/pro. What's the nuisance of crying children compared to the inexpressible torture of seeing an almost-complete home theater going to waste? :)

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
the kids are 12 and 7,no crying from the 12 year old
just thoughts of revenge if he cannot get his 5.1 sound out of his(and mine:) )X-Box.
also when i hook up something i hope everything stays the same i don't want to take the 1050 unhook every wire,cable
etc,etc...then rehook some things back to the TV so at least a couble things work in the playroom then hook
the 1050 to every thing in the new main theater for who knows how long then the the 950 comes out in november:) (they did say by thanksgiving)unhook every thing,rehook everything and the whole time doing all this my wife ready to kill me for blowing my too few days off.
no when i do it that is it until the next best thing is out:)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Don't hold your breadth on the Rotel 1066.
Without starting a feud(because it can get pretty nasty around here when you don't support the Outlaws). I spoke to Rotel's tech support yesterday and they still said March(my dealer always said Feb, but Rotel always said March). Since I've spent months and months and months giving Outlaw the benefit of the doubt, waiting on the 770 and 950 before I gave up completely. It's time to wait on someone else for a change.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Will the 950 really sound better then a 1500.00 reciever? thats about 600.00 worth of amps and 900.00 worth of processor. I HOPE it does, but Im just wondering after all the waiting whether people will step up to the plate and give totally honest opinions considering the one year wait. I am really looking forward to this pre and reading the reviews on it when it comes out. As I said, I think the second more exspensive version will be right on the HEELS of the 950s release and I will give that serious consideration along with the other 1500.00~ pre-amp out by then

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Will, I was under the impression that outlaw was working on the 1500.00 unit along side the 950 maybe a bit further behind the 950. I would think from a production point of view that once you had designed and started manufacturing of the 950 that it wouldnt take much effort for an upgraded version. Do you have any information that contradicts this ?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Will the 950 really sound better then a 1500.00 reciever?
I'm hoping that the 950 will sound better than a $3000 receiver (assuming you use good amps), not just a $1500 receiver. In fact, I'd bet on it!

After all, a $3000 receiver doesn't have all the money tied up in the pre/pro section and a $1500 receiver probably has less money devoted to its pre/pro section than the cost of the 950 so this really isn't going out on the limb too far.

W

Will

John,

Here's an excerpt from the Outlaws early December newsletter email:

We are still committed to a high end processor, but it will not be available until about this time next year. Once the Model 950 is complete and shipping we will have the opportunity to work with our engineers and component suppliers to determine the feature set for this product. We'll more than likely take the pulse of the Outlaw family on this, as well. It is worth noting again that this product is way off in the distance, and if you are looking for the best value in a high-performance preamp/processor/tuner, the Model 950 will be our answer for the foreseeable future.

So basically, the Outlaws don't expect their higher end pre/pro before the end of 2002, and as of two months ago, they hadn't even determined its feature set. Also, as you know, they've been late with ship dates in the past.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
When I said 1500.00 street price reciever, I meant paired with a good quality external power amp using the reciever ae a pre. For instance say a denon 4802, onkyo 989, or the new Harman Kardon, Sherwoods new reciever etc. Because with these recievers you are able to use their internal amps for the back channels in a 7.1 setup..and still have a quality pre with good dacs..of course along with a quality 3 or channel amp

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Robert,

That's why I never understood why pre/pros cost so much. If company's like Sherwood, Outlaw and Rotel can do it for a resonable price. It just goes to show how much profit pre/pro manufacturers have been making. In receivers the amp sections are the most expensive part and pre/pros don't even have amp sections.

W

Will

I would expect the pre/pro section of the 950 to be in general superior to the pre/pro section of any current model $3000 receiver. I would also expect the pre/pro section of the 950 to be superior to the pre/pro section of any three year old $3000 pre/pro. I would not expect it to be in general superior to the pre/pro section of a current $3000 pre/pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks