That "Groups" thing on DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music' started by robertLP, Oct 15, 2003.

1. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Question: Do all DVD-Audio players automatically start with Group 1, Track 1, when starting up a disc? Mine - the Pioneer 563-A - does.

Normally, it's the "Advanced Resolution Surround" that is in Group 1, but not always. Some of my EMI Classic discs have the stereo layer for Group 1, while the surround is Group 2. I would think the DVD Forum could have standardized this.

Since I'm without surrounds on this setup, I'd like the player to always play the stereo layer. The SACD portion always plays the 2 channel SACD layer as I programmed it, so there's no problem there.

Thanks in advance for any input.....

Rob

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

You pretty much out of luck.Like you pointed it out the Surround tracks are located on group1 and that's where the player defaults to.Some players like the Denon 2900 makes this even more complicated by loading the menues in regardless if you pressed the play button first while the tray is open.Some players have "group" button on the remote,but sometimes it won't make much difference.
    All in all SACD gets this one done far better.

3. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know why the 'audio' button on the remote doesn't do jack when it comes to DVD-A? It would seem an obvious way to switch back and forth from surround to stereo....

Rob

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Some discs are authored to a spec that allows the use of the audio button to change between the mixes (e.g. the Nightfly and some of the newer Warner ones I believe). For DVD-A, they all should be done this way. It certainly makes it easier to enjoy the music mix of one's choice.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil