What's new

That 80's Show: You've got to be kidding me? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
There's no way Fox is going to pull That 70's Show anytime soon. Their line-up is weak enough as it is.
Dude, FOX just may have the strongest lineup on the air. Between Simpsons, X-Files, 24, NFL football, Boston Public, and Ally McBeal, they ain't doing to shabby. They're also the only network that were able to create a cult-show in the Family Guy to carve out a niche audience up against the juggernauts of Friends and Survivor.

Three cheers for FOX, the best network on TV!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You missed what was the most embarassing thing to come out of the 80s in America:

MTV

I shudder thinking about it...I'm 16, so at least I learned early enough...

But even so, couldn't That 70s Show just go on and on and on since its just a TV show? I would rather have that for a decade and a half than have it turn into another show.

And also, That 70s Show is more about the characters, and just so happens to take place in the 70s. That 80s Show seems to be more about the 80s than the characters, so it loses all of its original appeal to the actual show rather than its concept.

Don Black

Screenwriter
MTV was a brilliant venture that launched Bob Pittman into the world of media players (now COO of AOLTW).

As far as Fox's lineup is concerned, Simpsons and Boston Public are winners. But X-Files, 24, NFL, and Ally are all underperforming. Why 24 isn't doing well is beyond me. I think it's great. Granted, they aren't in ABC trouble... but there not doing so hot lately either.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
You missed what was the most embarassing thing to come out of the 80s in America:

MTV

MTV in the 80s wasn't an embarrassment. They actually played music and had a wide variety of formats from Metal, to Alternative, to Rap. It has only since become an embarrassment since it no longer plays any music at all.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and glam rock wasn't much of an embarassment back in the 80s, but looking back on it now, just like MTV, we wish it had never come about.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, although the idea of actually calling it The 80's Show is a bad move and will cause a lot of eye-rolling.
As far as The 70's Show is concerned, I think it's very funny. Of course, that's mostly because the cast is very strong. The spinoff will have to work pretty hard to capture the chemistry of the 70's crew.
One small complaint is that The 70's Show often seems way too raunchy to be on at 8:00 PM. It doesn't bother me any (I love raunch), but I don't think my 12-year-old niece is old enough to handle the non-stop sex gags that make up a good percentage of the jokes.

MikeAW

Second Unit
The producer's double-crossed the original audience...such as it was...and have now replaced it with a parody of what a Fox Network show is supposed to be like. What was in their little minds, is in itself mind-boggling! If there are ANY rules in ANY Mass Media offering, you don't try to fool the audience, because they will turn on you.

The "70's Show" had an generally likable and appealing cast, in that you liked those people, to some extent. Based on the promo previews, I don't see any reason to like these people or their psuedo-posturings. The show will rise and fall on whether you like Carsey-Werner's idea of what a Fox show should be...not what it is.

I am not aware of any instance like this in Tv History, are you, when a format AND talent is changed, seemingly in mid-stream, do you ?

They are going to get murdered in the ratings marketplace, and they deserve every less rating point household they don't get!

This could also affect the uniqueness of the whole Fox schedule...it will bring into question, what is real Fox and what is not real Fox. It will push the quirkiness just too far into parody, for me.

Look's like it's Married With Children and Simpson's re-runs!

bill lopez

Second Unit
What was big in the 80's is like for today.
I remember being in bars where everybody wore black just like the Goth crowd do today. VHS started to take off like dvd is today. And John Travolta started to make a string of bad movies back then just like in this decade.;)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I am not aware of any instance like this in Tv History, are you, when a format AND talent is changed, seemingly in mid-stream, do you ?

Huh? This is a new series. That 70's Show will still continue.

This is like a spin off, without any of the same characters.

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
Dunno how the new series is going to be, but I did have a few comments.

They can't continue the 70s cast since they are all in their 20s anyway. Too old to be into the lastest fads and music. Also, I think the series has lost a step. I love the addition of Tommy Chong, but I miss Tanya Roberts, and Laurie the sister and am tired of the whole Eric and Donna thing.

MTV in the 80s was the coolest ever. They used to show whatever they were given, which included lots of great progressive bands that they flushed when the record companies got into it. The late 80s and 90s ruined MTV. Also, they used to show music then and not endless Real World.

MikeAW

Second Unit
"This is like a spin off, without any of the same characters."

A spin off after one season of shows, with the same concept ?

Maybe...but it still is kind of whacky to kill off s characters so soon, after one has gotten accustomed to them.

That's like, shooting yourself in the Foot...or in this case, "learning" from what the network wanted in the first place, and hoping it sails up the Flag Pole ! Weird.

I guess that's why it's Fox !

And Marsey Carsey Werner et al are STILL on my List, for what they come out with next !!!

"A spin off after one season of shows, with the same concept ? "

I think you are confused on a couple of points here.

First, this is the third season of "That 70's Show"

"Maybe...but it still is kind of whacky to kill off characters so soon, after one has gotten accustomed to them. That's like, shooting yourself in the Foot...or in this case, "learning" from what the network wanted in the first place, and hoping it sails up the Flag Pole ! Weird. "

Second, "That 70's Show" is NOT going away. "That 80's Show" is going to be a COMPLETELY different show. It will have totally new characters. "That 70's Show" will continue with the same cast, still set in 1978 (at this point).

Glenn

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"The 70's Show" is a pretty lousy sitcom, all in all, but the actors are so endearing and enjoyable that it manages to overcome the hackneyed scripts and recycled 70's humor.

But "The 80's Show" looks to be positively unbearable.

David Paymer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Paymer
Haven't caught that '80's show but I am a fan of that '70's show (Welcome Back Kotter).;)

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
"The 70's Show" is a pretty lousy sitcom, all in all, but the actors are so endearing and enjoyable that it manages to overcome the hackneyed scripts and recycled 70's humor.

But "The 80's Show" looks to be positively unbearable.
My thoughts exactly. I never became too big a fan of That 70s Show but after seeing the commercial for 80s Show at least five times now I am about ready to throw up. I can't forsee it being any good.

Seb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks