That 80's Show: You've got to be kidding me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Arrghh. This series screams disaster. What is Carsey Warner thinking?

2. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

As sitcoms go, it's quite appealing and I'm an avid fan. There is nothing really groundbreaking here, but it's basic entertainment value is there for the enjoyment.

Ashton Kutcher of "Dude Where's My Car" fame, is the sleeper talent here. His ability to play his dumb character, honestly and without going THAT far, is something to admire...and that's saying alot for most of these faceless, soulless, talentless Youth Oriented "Tv Stars" who seem to spring from absolutely nowhere these days! These are the pretty faces that inhabit "Dawson's Creek" type shows, graduates from the Matt Damon "School of Underacting So Much You Ain't Got A Pulse"!

Besides Ashton, the theme music is cool! Along with the theme to "Malcolm In the Middle", it's alternative to the usual seems groundbreaking somehow.

3. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

As sitcoms go, it's quite appealing and I'm an avid fan. There is nothing really groundbreaking here, but it's basic entertainment value is there for the enjoyment.

Ashton Kutcher of "Dude Where's My Car" fame, is the sleeper talent here. His ability to have a discernable personality and play his dumb character, honestly and without going THAT far, is something to admire...and that's saying alot today as most of these faceless, soulless, talentless Youth Oriented "Tv Stars", seem to spring from absolutely nowhere these days! These are the pretty faces that inhabit "Dawson's Creek" type shows, graduates from the Matt Damon "School of Underacting So Much You Ain't Got A Pulse"!

Besides Ashton, the theme music is cool! Along with the theme to "Malcolm In the Middle", it's alternative to the usual seems groundbreaking somehow.

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Mike,

I think you misread my post. I'm a big fan of That 70's Show. However, after tonight's episode, they ran a promo for a new spin-off called That 80's Show with a different cast. This is what I was ranting about. =)

5. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Do you think they should have kept 70's show cast and just renamed it and put them in an 80s environment? I think that would be too drastic, and besides surely Fez would have been deported in the 80s!

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

No, I think they shouldn't have done a spin-off at all. The 80s stuff just looks cheesy. I enjoyed your crack about Fez though. He has the last laugh I guess... he's dating Mandy Moore.

7. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I would of thought the obvious thing to do would be to roll that 70's show over into the 80's,...

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

That 80s show? I have been waiting for this...

9. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

OMG! That's Mandy Moore?? I never saw the credits or paid much attention. I knew a hottie was under all that baggage!

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

When the first season of that 70's show was on, they went to see Star Wars. Later we saw a New Year's episode. I always assumed that after 3 or 4 years, "That 70's Show" would just become "That 80's Show". It was a natural move. It may be that the creators had that intention, but would prefer now to milk 2 shows for the price of 1 idea than to add dimension and longevity to an already good idea.

Does anyone know what year it is this season?

11. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

You're confused, Rob. Mandy Moore isn't on "That 70's Show". Wilmer Valderrama, who plays Fez, is dating Mandy Moore in real life...

12. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

Actually, Rob, I think Don's post was referring to actor Wilmer Valderrama's real-life relationship with Mandy Moore; I don't think that's her on the show (I think her only acting gig so far is the upcoming movie A Walk to Remember).

It seems I also heard Wilmer was seeing Jennifer Love Hewitt for a while. Guess the geekiness of Fez really is just an act; somebody get that man an Emmy!

Edited because, oops, Joel beat me to it.

13. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That 70s Show is, in my opinion, stupid television with annoying characters and weak jokes. I prefer some of the REAL 70s shows to this.

That 80s Show will probably be even worse.

14. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I saw that 80's show preview. It looks like an all-new cast. that means the 70's show will end soon with this cast. I see little relation of this new 80s show to the present 70s show.
    The problem is this 80s show looks a little weak. At least 70s show dealt with a decade that we may have been embarrassed about, but it at least had character and the strong points of the 70s really stand out. What are the things that make the 80s so embarrassing? The 80s brought up some cool things, but it was not as interesting as the 70s in retropsect.
    Maybe some jokes about Reagan, the computer age before the internet, nuclear arms race, punk rockers with mohawks, slam dancing, aids, layered clothing, designer jeans, aerobics, and whatever. Anything else [​IMG]

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I bet one of the kids will have a father who is a coke-snorting, uptight businessman who wears brown suits.

16. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Anthony; Nothing embarrasing about the 80s?

Two words: Hair Metal.

Some more two word embarassments...

Break Dancing

Parachute Pants

Mariah Carey

Yahoo Serious

Nancy Reagan

John DeLorian

S&L Scandal

Iran Contra

Electric Boogaloo

Almond refrigerators

More than 2 words, but still funny...

Bad rock bands named after continents

New Wave black lipstick

New Wave CoolAid hair

New Wave...you get the idea

Masters of the Universe (both Wall Street and cartoon)

Geraldo and Al Capone's vault.

Geraldo and the racists breaking his nose

Geraldo and...you get the idea

Run DMC and Aerosmith

David Lee Roth

Just say NO!

Don't worry, be happy.

Fox Network? It'll never take off.

17. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

18. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

There's no way Fox is going to pull That 70's Show anytime soon. Their line-up is weak enough as it is. However, perhaps it's because I remember the '80s that I just find the clips dumb. I remember actually having a great reaction to the previews of That 70's Show... It just looks ominous. Then again, I thought Undeclared would be dumb too and I love it.

19. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

I think That 70's show is going to continue in to the 80's and still carry the same show name. That 80's show is a totally new series, new cast etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Here is a link:
    80's show

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

That 80's Show: You've got to be kidding me?

yeah, that's what I thought with That 70's Show. And now I love it.