What's new

THanX to thx fo what ? (1 Viewer)

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I have a THX CERTIFIED/RUBBERSTAMPED/LOGO'D RECEIVER , now that I rarely use DPL (SO ,i , don't want de-correlation), the movie companies fix the "pumped-up" highs in the film to video transfer (so, I don't need cinema re-eq), and I didn't need lucas to tell me that I had choosen a great receiver (and not believing him because I have heard "ultra" certified units that couldn't hit referance levels in a closet), I would like someone to tell me what I Spent that extra(unknown) amount of money on?

PhilS

Stunt Coordinator
Do you really want to know, or are you just trying to sh*t on THX stuff to start a flame war? The latter, me thinks.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
O.K., i already have an opinion ,but I am truely looking for info/insight------ want to know if there is anything I'm missing,like I SAID .i HAVE A CERTIFIED PIECE

TomH

Second Unit
Is there a rule of thumb as to what dollar amount or percentage THX typically adds to the cost of a product?
If I pay for the logo I would like some confidence that the product really meets their criteria. Are you saying that some do not?
Is it possible that products like the 3802, with the addition of THX equalization, could pass THX certification based on their current spec but the cost would be $3-400.00 higher?
Tom
Tom

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
And do not forget, THX Ultra II is on the way, and Pioneer the first to integrate it in their upcomming Flagship receiver!
------------------

PhilS

Stunt Coordinator
If you do a search on this forum or on the Audio and Hi-Fi subsection of AVS Forum, you should find a number of threads discussing in detail what a THX certification provides. I would especially look for any comments by Buzz Goddard of TAG McLaren, or comments by others with experience with the THX certification process. These will be quite informative. They are quite persuasive on the point that THX certification is not merely a marketing gimmick, etc. This doesn't mean you have to have THX, or that non-THX equipment is no good, or that THX is for everyone's needs, but it is more than just a logo.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I have read ,many times, the list of criteria ,but have come to the conclusion ,with regaurds to MOST of the criteria, that the line items tend to fall into one of several catagories (imo);
a feature or performance characteristic that most decent equipment ,without thx cert., does anyway.
a feature or perfomance characteristic that I don't find useful,neccessary, or worth an extra dime.
a feature or performance characteristic that (if I can't shut off) may have a negative impact on sound quality.
I know that the mnfgrs who pay for the certification and enjoy the respect that some give the stamp ,always speak highly of the criteria and standerds that this certification
has, but I just listen to SOME of the equipment that bears the stamp and say "isn't this logo supposed to be sorta like GEORGE LUCAS'S "GOODHOUSEKEEPING SEAL OF APPROVAL"?"
ALTHOUGH i FIND that it is marketed and touted as a format like DTS & DD.....in fact ,even in these forums ,I find that people keep talking about the differances between receivers that "do" DD-ex vs. one's that do THX EX, vs. one's that have matrixed rear center capability.
there is someone out there who knows how much the "street price" on their companies receiver was going to be and then how much it wound up costing consumers when they got it certified...but they're not talking(NDA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks