Thanksgiving Hiatus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Qui-Gon John, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

It looks like this year not too many of the shows I follow are going on hiatus for the Thanksgiving week, unfortunately. I am going away and now have to rely on my VCR's to record them so I don't miss anything. Not a big problem, unless we get a power outage between the time I set them and the time the shows air.

Only Firefly and John Doe seem to be off.

24, Smallville, Enterprise and Twilgiht Zone all seem to be showing new episodes.

At least I'm not leaving until Tuesday evening. So I can set everything and they only have to make it until Wednesday night to get it all recorded.

2. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

TiVo (or to be more HTF advertiser friendly, ReplayTV) would solve all your problems.

Doug

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

November sweeps (when they show all-new episodes to boost the ratings) ends the day before Thanksgiving. Sweeps usually starts on a Thursday and ends on Wednesday four weeks later. Given that Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday in November, this year may be typical.

//Ken

4. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I guess. It just seems like in past years all my favorite shows were on hiatus for at least the week of Thanksgiving, maybe even the week before or after, can't remember for sure.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

What Ken said.

Sweeps periods usually don't include the major holidays because people's viewing habits (and usually the TV programs also) are abnormal on those days. So, for the most part the networks aren't going to ease off the gas pedal until Wednesday night.

Similarly, the May 2003 sweeps period will be the four Thursday-through-Wednesday weeks preceding Memorial Day so that Memorial Day won't be included in the period, therefore it has to begin in the last week of April. And the July 2003 sweeps period will begin on the Thursday after July 4 and won't end until the first week of August.

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Out of the shows I watch, here are ones that won't be seen next week:

Gilmore Girls: Beginnings
    American Dreams
    Angel
    Alias
    The Practice
    Boomtown
    Dawson's Creek
    CSI
    Without a Trace
    Do Over
    Firefly
    John Doe

7. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Tivo would solve my problems, but I don't have enough friends named Jackson and Franklin. Stupid college tuition