Thanksgiving Gatherings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

With the Thanksgiving holidays fast approaching, I thought it would be interesting to see how large some of the family gatherings get with the members here. For as long as I can remember, our Thanksgiving gathering averages about 30-35 family members from around the country. However, this year it is looking like my poor mother will be hosting about 50 family members. From off the top of my head, we are having family in from Michigan, Rhode Island, Connecticut, South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, and of course Kentucky. I must admit that Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday for the simple fact that I get to see so many family members. Of course the food isn't a bad perk either! [​IMG] I think it would be very interesting to hear how you all spend your Thanksgiving holidays.
    Brandon Smith

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

My family all lives fairly far away - Boston, Chicago, NC, etc. We usually like reunions at the beach, so Thanksgiving is not big for our family.

However, we always have friends over !

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

50 family members? Even if we took every living relative through 3rd cousins we'd barely scrape 30, and my Great Uncle had 8 kids

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

In our house we usually have around 15-20 but have had as many as 35. Our family comes to Oregon from California, Washington State, Idaho, & of course in many parts of Oregon. Sometime we have family that comes in from Alabama, NY, & Nebraska too.
    Great time and great food for all. [​IMG]
    Can anyone say Cherry & Pumpkin Pie? [​IMG]
    KyleS

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

At Mom's house - about 15
    Then, later, at Dad's house - 25 or so, and it's practically all people I don't know

For the most part, it's just the folks from around North Yarmouth and New Gloucester, Maine (I'm generally the guy from farthest out), and we go as far as Connecticut for Christmas. It's definitely gotten smaller since my maternal grandparents opted to start going to Florida in September.

6. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Since the passing of my last grandparent (my maternal grandfather) in October 2001, my mother refuses to host what is left of my family for Thanksgiving, a whole 6 people. She feels it's not worth it. I've offered to have Thanksgiving at my house, but no one seems interested. My family is no longer a family[​IMG]. Of course, my father has a rather large family through his wife, but my brother and I are never invited to their holiday gatherings. Sorry, I don't mean to dampen the holiday spirit. I still love Thanksgiving.

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Large, lovable families. Welcome to Kentucky!!!
    And for the umpteenth time I will be hearing the following from my friends,
    "So, Dome, so like, instead of turkey, do you all break out the Peking Duck?
    "For the record no, and I'm Thai!!!
    Ah, the rituals of Thanksgiving. [​IMG]

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I usually spend all day with my parents and grandmother (who lives with them). My brother, his wife and son drop by for about 2 hours. So it is pretty much 4 of us and 7 when they show up.

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

In this wonderful Digital age we now reside within, I think there should be one hard 'n fast rule regarding these Holiday get-togethers.
    That being: In order to get a free holiday meal out of me, each guest (even the closest of relatives) must bring at least one DVD to add to the host's growing library! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What do ya think? (Obviously, I'm j/k. But, hey, wouldn't it be nice if your family members did it anyway; without be coaxed! [​IMG]) Great way to add to the collection.
    Along this tack ..... With many of you having great HTs nowadays, how does the ol' Home Theater fit into your T'Giving/Christmas plans? Sounds like a good opportunity to show off the sound system, huh? [​IMG]

10. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

For us, it used to be 12 or so, and that was usually at a restuarant, because no one wanted to step up and do the cooking and cleaning and hosting. Restaurants are always packed and we had to call ahead to make reservations. Food was fine but no leftovers. [​IMG] Last couple years its just been my parents, sister, gandma, aunt and I. We don't have a large family, and half is in Arizona. The quiet works for me.
    Chris

11. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

We just have my wife's side of the family over, so that's nine, plus the four in my family for 13 total. My relatives are all in Hawaii. Haven't been "home" for Thanksgiving in over 20 years now. [​IMG]

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Retailers will suffer a little bit this season....what with T'Giving falling on the latest date it can possibly fall (11/28), making fewer shopping days between it and Santa's Day.
    What the above has to do with this thread's topic is beyond me. Just thought I'd toss it in the mix. [​IMG]
    Salutations.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto