What's new

Thanksgiving Day themed sitcom episodes (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
There's a thread about Thanksgiving Day themed movies that got me thinking about some of the classic sitcom episodes that revolve around this holiday.

I thought we could compile a list of our favorites, maybe indicate upcoming airings, and whether or not they are currently available on DVD.

Three that immediately come to my mind are...

"Thanksgiving Orphans" from Cheers, Season 5: I have seen this episode replayed many times and man, is it funny. This is where everybody gets together, Diane dresses up as a Pilgrim, and dinner ends in a classic food fight.

This episode is not yet available on DVD, but is probably coming with the first three seasons already released.

Tivo says this episode will be aired on 11/25/04 (Thurs) at 10:00 PM EST on TVLand.

"No Fat" from Everybody Loves Raymond, Season 3: More recently, this is the classic Tofu Turkey episode. After Marie and Frank get some bad test results back, they get healthy and Marie cooks a different kind of Thanksgiving bird.

This episode is not yet available on DVD, but the Season 2 release date is 12/14/04, so this episode should be available with Season 3 in the first quarter.

Tivo says this episode will be aired on 11/25/04 (Thurs) at 12:00 PM EST on TBS. It will also air on my local Fox affiliate on Tuesday.

"Turkeys Away" from WKRP, Season 1: I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Thanksgiving episode. Carlson comes up w/ a Thanksgiving Day promotion for the station and many live turkeys perish as a result. Absolutely hysterical.

This episode is not yet available on DVD with no announcement on the horizon.

A Tivo search for "WKRP," sadly came up empty.

Peace,

DM

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Frasier - A Lilith Thanksgiving (Season 4)

The Cranes pack up and visit Lilith and Frederick for Thanksgiving. Lilith and Frasier meet with the dean of a prestigious school, hoping to enroll Frederick. After their initial visit goes poorly, they return time and time again, hoping to ingratiate themselves with the headmaster.

p.s. Correct me if I'm mixing up episodes, but isn't this the one where Fraiser steals the turkey from Niles (when he isn't in the kitchen) and Niles goes to look in the oven (to check on the turkey) and it isn't there :laugh:

I beleive this is also the episode where Martin opens the fridge door and smacks Freddy in the nose. :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Every Friends Thanksgiving episode is a classic, starting with the "The One Where Underdog Gets Away" and ending with "The One With The Late Thanksgiving". Especially funny is the "Gellar Cup" football game, the flashback one and anything having to do with Chandler's hatred of Thanksgiving.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Dave!!!

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

One of the most classic moments in sitcom television history! (For me. :))

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
there is an ellen episode where she invites a homeless guy and doesnt know he's homeless.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
There is a great Murphy Brown Thanksgiving episode where they all gather to cook dinner and Miles shows up with a live turkey (he ordered "fresh" turkey). There's a great scene where Murphy tries to coax the live turkey into "Aunt Murphy's Little Turkey Sauna".

There was a Brady Bunch episode where Greg had to make a student film about the first Thanksgiving and he cast the family as Pilgrims.

The Mad ABout You Thanksgiving episode where the Buckmans have to keep buying a new turkey from the Korean grocer because they destroyed one turkey after another was hysterical.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Jim - what a great line!

Who's got the rights to WKRP now? If it was done by CBS does that mean Columbia/Tri-star has it? It is nowhere to be found on TVLand, Nick at Nite, or anywhere.

Peace,

DM

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Fox apparently has the DVD rights to "WKRP", but any potential release of that series to DVD is tied up in music rights hell. It's been much-discussed here on HTF, do a search on "WKRP".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That was a pretty good one. It was just on. I think there was a better Ellen episode where Martha Stewart was over her house, preparing the dinner. I'm not positive if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it was the one where Adam's (or Spense's) date came right from the set of Star Trek and she was wearing the green, lizard makeup. :laugh:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the main reasons I'm going to miss Friends not on anymore, no more new Thanksgiving episodes, and I don't think Joey could muster up a good Thanksgiving episode yet.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

My favorite of the Friends thanksgiving episodes is the one where Ross got high.

"It tastes like feet!"

All of these things happening at once just hit a home run with me, and I laugh hard everytime I see it...I also like the flashback one where Joey has the turkey on his head.

Let us not forget over the river and through the woods, the episode of the Bob Newhart show where they watch the William and Mary football game and have to take a drink everytime the other team scores...and then order Chinese food while drunk. One of my favorite thanksgiving episodes.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Newhart Thanksgiving episode where Bob and his cronies get drunk, burn the turkey and order Moo Goo Gai Pan.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
The "WKRP" Thanksgiving episode is a classic. I think for a while back in the 80's a station (channel 11-KPLR) in St. Louis still had rights to "WKRP" and normally aired it late at night on the weekends. However on Thanksgiving they used to show the turkey bombing episode at 6:30pm.

The "Friends" where Brad Pitt visits is great. Jennifer Aniston walks in the door with a casserole dish of yams and Brad Pitt's character says

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I also like when Ross and Joey are looking at the recipe book to see where Rachael went wrong with her trifle.

“Oh my god the pages are stuck together”
“Chandler!!”

Well timed joke that I wasn't expecting from Friends.

MattGentry

Second Unit
I will definitely be watching all available 8 Thanksgiving-themed "Friends" episodes this Thursday.

Well, that and the Thanksgiving-themed episode of "Buffy"...

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
As it's getting closer to U.S. Thanksgiving Day I thought I would resurrect this thread and add two more:

Bewitched Ep. #119: "Samantha's Thanksgiving to Remember" - Aunt Clara whisks not only Samantha, Durwood, and Tabatha back to the original Thanksgiving (on accident, of course) but Gladys Kravitz goes along for the ride AND Durwood is accused of being a witch!

The Munsters Ep. #6: "Low Cal Munster" - Herman is dieting in order to fit into his old army uniform for a reunion when he realizes towards the end of this diet that it's Thanksgiving Day and he cannot take not eating anymore! This episode is hysterical!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The WKRP, Turkey's Away, is also my favorite Thanksgiving themed episode. I will just have to rely on my memory to relive this show.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Seeveral good Thanksgiving eps of 'Home Improvement' -- my favorite is the one at the football stadium (with Tom Poston and Rodney Dangerfield).

Also a good Beverly Hillbillies ep in which no one could bring themselves to kill the turkey which the Drysdales had given the clan as a gift, and which Elly Mae had (of course) turned into a pet.

The WKRP and Bob Newhart eps are among my all-time favorites... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks