What's new

Thanksgiving Bet - 1st DVD with Animated Menus (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fellow HTF'ers, please settle a bet:

Which DVD had the first animated menus?

I say it was Austin Powers, New Line's Platinum Series. That was the first time I recall seeing them back in 1997.
I have someone who disagrees, but doesn't recall what dvd was first (I think I win the bet just on the fact that I can name one).

Thanks for your help, and Happy Thanksgiving!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm pretty sure (not 100% certain) that it was T2, which I'm pretty sure (again, not 100% certain) was the first dual layered DVD, or at least the first RSDL one.

I'm actually rather interested in knowing this myself, so if anyone can confirm or correct, please speak up!

Britton

Screenwriter
Are the original releases of Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger candidates? I'm referring to the versions that came in snappers and had both full screen and widescreen versions of the movie. There was some animation on those menus, and if I'm not mistaken, those were out in 1997. From Russia With Love was the first DVD I personally bought back in 1998, so even though I have the special edition, this disc is still in my collection since it holds a place of honor.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
GoldFinger was one of the two free dvd's i got when i bought my first player a while ago along with Rocky. Cant believe dvd's been out that long already. Geez

capt

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
the Abyss and T2 both came out in 2000.
The James Bonds films were released on November 18, 1997, but Austin Powers still beats that by three weeks, being released on October 21, 1997. Looks like I won the bet! (Unless anyone else knows of a film released before that)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There was a standard release of T2 before the UE. Maybe that's what Carl meant. But I don't know the date nor do I have the disc to see if it has animated menus.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What was the first animated menu to first make you sit through a few seconds of crap before the options come onscreen, then show a few seconds of cheesy whiz-bang animation that you have to sit through after hitting Play? (Antz was the first disc I got that did that; it was slightly entertaining the first time, but NOW.....AAAGH!!)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
There was a standard release of T2 before the UE. Maybe that's what Carl meant. But I don't know the date nor do I have the disc to see if it has animated menus.
'

It did indeed have animated menus, very cool menus actually depicting the future war if I remember correctly. It was also the first RDSL disc. According to Amazon it was released 8 Nov 1999.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Live and New Line had animated menues in '97.
The first that I had was T2, Dark City, and Blade. The latter two were not cotinuously animated, but when a selections was made, there was animation.

It seems to me that this had only music, no animation.

I think LIVE'S T2 is the winner. But the animation was just film highlights.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
No, actually, T2 was released somewhere around December 1997...
that date does make more sense, I should have thought this through before posting... that date was listed as the release date on amazon though, but perhaps it was just the date for a later printing or a price reduction or something like that...

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

There are 3 DVDs of Terminator 2

The original LIVE version.
ARTISAN rerelease.

Artisan Ultimate Edition

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The main menu and transitions were animated(very cool trans as well!). The scene selections are like LA Confidential, where they are stills, but if you press the little play button next to the scene it plays the first few moments of the scene in the menu with sound.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The original T2 release was the first RSDL disc, and it was released in October of 1997 after being held up for two months by I believe Cameron himself who wasn't happy with the orignial's quality or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks