What's new

Thanks Warner, superb job on "Adventures of Robin Hood" (1 Viewer)

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Just finihed watching "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and I must say Warners, that you did an excellent job on the film.
Both you and Disney have done excellent jobs on your catalogue titles that you release as SPECIAL EDITIONS. I hope that other studios will follow your examples. I hope you keep up the good work in the future and thanks once again for a job well done.

Real Name
Anthony
I'd wholeheartedly second that. I know we must seem like a hard bunch to please at the HTF - and we are - but credit should go where it's due.
ROBIN HOOD looks absolutely beautiful and everything about it, from packaging to extras is all anyone could reasonably want from this still-exciting format. Congratulations and thank you.

Now read my Blade Runner post ! ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yes indeed, an excellent dvd and a full compliment of extras for a superb classic,
well done WB.:emoji_thumbsup:

Looking forward to more classic 2-disc WB specials in 2004!:)

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Fully agreed. The three titles in the new Warner Legends release (The Adventures of Robin Hood, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Yankee Doodle Dandy) continue the exceptional standard of quality set by Warner's with Singin' in the Rain: SE and Casablanca: SE before them, but take that standard still further with this excellent new feature ... I believe called "Warner Night at the Movies"(?), in which a period moviegoing experience is recreated with the seamless playing of a trailer, newsreel, cartoon (and/or short film), and the feature. This is a fantastic idea, and one I deeply appreciate. Together with supplements of the variety I've always most highly prized (in order from greatest to least: bloopers/flubs, outtakes, deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes material, related short films, radio shows, commentaries, and documentaries), these releases are everything I could ask of a classic film, and set the standard for the industry.

Giant is another excellent disc, by the way, my only complaint that it is 4x3 formatted (1.66:1 should be 16x9 formatted). I trust classic releases from the studio will continue along the lines established for the above titles, and believe me -- I can't rush in an order fast enough when I hear a new one is on the way. :emoji_thumbsup: Warner Bros. leads the industry in the care they offer their classic catalogue on disc, and they have both my thanks and admiration.

Speaking of which, Lon Chaney Collection is a major WB silent box offering arriving later this month. It just gets better and better.

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't agree more with Terry and the others. After seeing it how could you not agree that it's a great release.

I'm hoping they'll soon be doing as great a job on the release of some I'm longing for:

THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY (1964)
A THOUSAND CLOWNS (1965)
THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE (1959)
REVOLUTION (1985)
THE HEART IS A LONELY HUTER (1968)
SERGEABT YORK (1941) and
CROSSING DELANCEY (1988)

MorganP

Agent
I'd also like to say a huge thank you.

The movie looks astonishingly beautiful. I'm very glad it wasn't overly enhanced and sharpened - the softness of the picture gives the story and characters a magical quality. It's perfect for me.

I could just sit and listen to Rudy Behlmer for hours! He's like a really interesting grandfather who instead of telling war stories talks about the studios and stars of long since past. I love movie history, and I really enjoyed all his contributions to the DVD. Instead of the slightly drier likes of Roger Ebert, he relates facts and anecdotes with warmth and enthusiasm for his subject. I will now listen to his Casablanca commentary, and I hope to see him on future DVDs.

The bonus feature I probably enjoyed most was the wealth of behind the scenes footage of the stars and directors. Like I said, I find film history fascinating. Again Behlmer's commentary here was illuminating.

I've never before been taken so in-depth into an old movie and its making. The best thing about this is that Robin Hood will never die.

By the way, if you want some constructive nitpicking... Claude Rains' surname is misspelled on the front of the packaging.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD is my favorite film of all time, and I also want to thank WB for such a wonderful release. I hope to see THE SEA HAWK, THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN and CAPTAIN BLOOD released sometime soon!

Brian E

Screenwriter
Agreed, way to go Warner! I'm very impressed with both Adv. of Robin Hood & Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Thanks

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Yes, easily my favorite disc of the year thus far. This is the treatment true classics deserve. Warner gets a big :emoji_thumbsup: on this outing.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful job on the disc, beautiful job on the packaging.
i'm so impressed and delighted with it, that i'm planning to go out today and pick up Treasure Of The Sierra Madre- a film i had previously had no real interest in purchasing at the moment.

i don't know any better way to express my appreciation at the fine job your doing with your catalog titles, and i look forward to dropping much coin on your releases in '04

also- i just want you to know how much this film buff appreciates you trying to incorporate the original exploitation art whenever possible.
it defintiely sets your product out from the pack on the store shelf and is a buoy of class in a sea of cheesy photoshop cut and paste, big head jobs.

kudos!

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed the Technicolor documentary on the second disc. What a great DVD!!

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks