What's new

Thanks Warner Brothers - waiting for Feb 5th (1 Viewer)

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
I just preordered, Summer of '42, The Bad and the Beautiful, Klute, A Touch of Class, and Designing Woman. Great DVD's to add to my collection. Keep the good ones coming.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a major problem with Warner's dvd release schedule of classic films but I must give them their due in regard to the recent "Now Voyager" dvd release. What a gorgeous transfer! Also, I want to commend them on "The Dirty Harry Series" dvd releases. So far, I'm very pleased with the transfers of the dvds I've sampled at this time. Tomorrow, I will check out "Little Women" and I expect that transfer to be similar in quality to "Now Voyager".
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Also, big thanks to Warner Brothers for finally deciding to release "Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird" on DVD. I hope for it to have some decent special features like the "Wonka" and "Goonies" discs, but even if it's just OAR and a theatrical trailer, I'll buy it.
Thanks again, Warner.
Sincerely,
John Kilduff
------------------
"Who makes it happen?"
"I make it happen"-
Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the FABULOUS transfer of Now, Voyager!!! And of course Dr. Zhivago, Citizen Kane, I could go on and on. I have to say that Warners rarely disappoints me with the care and quality in using the DVD medium to best represent the classic films in their library. Starting with North By Northwest, I can only hope that other studios will begin to be as consistent and use the same advances in the technology and resources (Lowry) as Warners.
[Edited last by Brian W on November 16, 2001 at 11:01 AM]

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
I, too, must join in the accolades for Warner's sterling transfer of Now, Voyager. Just spinning the disc tonight, my jaw practically fell to the floor! The single best-looking transfer of a vintage b&w film on DVD. Positively blemish-free, pin-sharp, and picture-perfect gradation of gray values.
Let me emphasize this last point. I have had the disconcerting misfortune of encountering a plethora of recent classic b&w releases from various studios which exhibit a markedly flat and depressing rendition of overall contrast--disappointing, to say the least. The logic seems to be that a low-contrast image preserves superior detail--at the expense, it seems, of deep blacks and a pleasing separation of gray values. The result can often be a strain to watch. Warner and LDI prove with Now, Voyager (as well as Citizen Kane) that a rich, boldly-contrasted gray-palette can do the job just as well, if not better, without losing precious shadow detail. An infinite gradation of luminous gray values straddle bold, bright whites (replete without unwelcome blooming or moire effects), and pure, pitch-like blacks. The single best job yet of suggesting digitally the sparkling gray palette once possible with nitrate-stock film. Please, all other studios take a lesson (and, please, Warner, provide us soon with an equally-beautiful edition of Kings Row looking this good!).
While I am in agreement with one of our members that overprocessing has unfortunately drained much of the "punch" from Max Steiner's AA-winning score (this hopefully will be an example which will not become a trend), the visual simply cannot be faulted. The new benchmark, in my judgement, for assessing quality b&w transfers on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks