What's new

Thanks MGM for Dressed To Kill + a suggestion for all Studios!! (1 Viewer)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I was a a store today(can't say which) & found a copy of Dressed to Kill one week before it's release date for only $15 :)
While i have'nt watched the movie yet(will soon when i have time),but did skim through the extras. This is a great set & well worth the $$$.
The best part about it & this is where the studios need to pay close attention is MGM did the smart/right thing and included BOTH the R & Unrated versions :)
While certain studios are more uptight that others(you know who you are) & just will not release unrated movies aka the Director's Cut(sounds nicer to), i got a idea from looking at the packaging of the movie.
While dual rated discs have been released before & yes i have seen them at the dreaded Blockbu$ter & Wal-mart ect even with it clearly labeled R & Unrated versions included on the packaging!
Still most studios won't budge & only release the censored & even have the disrespect to release so called S.E.'s of censored movies(again you know who you are!).
Since your'eso scared at releasing anything that states Unrated/Uncut/NC-17 ect anywhere on the packaging & hide behind pointless "rules" prohibiting there releases which is really childish i might add.
Heres a "solution".........
Why not have the unrated version as a special feature since they're not rated anyway ifyou're so scared to state it's unrated on the packaging?
On the Dressed To Kill box,it's offically rated R-yet in the feautures list says Unrated version option!
+ you could also do what MGM has been doing to plenty of there cult titles by releasing the uncensored versions of the movie(s) yet put a R or whatever it's officially rating was on the packaging & walla you don't have to worry about BB ect not carrying the titles? Fans are happy,the true version of the movie can be seen & everyones happy!!
So come on already- Paramount stop making excuses for not releasing the unrated versions of the Friday The 13th series, My Bloody Valentine,Hellraiser 3,Jade,Sliver ect. Miramax with Scream + any & all of there other censored movies. WB with NBK-yes a directors cut was released(by another studio) thank god since it's a much better version. But what if that goes OOP & Trimark looses the rights? Then the fans are out of luck & stuck with the heavily edited R rated version. Also Eyes Wide Shut-without those dam "digital" figures,this could easily still be R rated!. Give us the uncut version already!!
That goes for all studios as well. Support uncut/uncensored(aka director's cut since it may sound better) releases & start including both versions at the very least on the disc(for comparisons sake).

Will K

Screenwriter
I couldn't have said it better myself. Even though MGM's DVD's are not always perfect, they at least score huge, huge...did i say HUGE...points in this department. I was particularly impressed with their decision to hold off on Last House On The Left so that they can prepare an unrated version next year and I have no qualms in supporting their releases because of it. I would not have purchased a censored Dressed To Kill had they chosen to go that route. The Unrated/R option on the disc represents what should be a standard when it comes to with ratings issues: choice, which is something most of the other studios are shamefully not giving us. (Though I can't imagine why a fan of DOT would prefer the R version anyway.)
As far as unrated discs go, there is something funny I've noticed about Blockbuster and the retail chains. When there are two seperate versions out there, R and unrated, BB and stores like Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, et. al, all carry the R version. However, when only one unrated edition is made, they all still seem to carry it. My local BB unrated titles such as Evil Dead flicks, Lord Of Illusions(with no less than a red band at the bottom sporting "Unrated Director's Cut"), and Ed Gein(which simply doesn't have a rating). I've ran into the same exact trend at the aforementioned retail outlets. Get it? These places will carry what they think will sale/rent, but if you offer them a censored version, they're going to go for the "safe" R one, which is pretty darn silly if you ask me.
Though this rhetoric has been done to death, and sometimes to deaf ears, films should be released the way the directors intended them, whether the MPAA approves of them or not. Period. I believe studios have an obligation to provide this to home theater enthusiasts and movie fans who have nurtured and supported the DVD format since its inception. I, for one, am ready to for all of this "political climate" garbage to blow over and studios can rethink their policies on this issue and quit worrying about the little MPAA stamp of approval on the cover. I still contend that offering an alternate cut as a special feature would work for all studios, since value added materials allegedly doesn't have to be rated. Universal has made steps in the right direction by offering unrated versions, but major offenders in this area are Warner, Paramount, and Buena Vi$ta simply by refusing to release uncensored versions at all, or worse yet, blowing off any consumer feedback like a bad habit.
Right now, my hat is off to MGM. Thanks!
------------------
unratedbanner.JPG

"We'd better not risk a frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur 93.2 AD

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I agree entirely that DtK - SE is a spectacular package, and I can't wait to see it! I've often seen the R version on cable back in my young-adult days, but I've never seen the unrated cut. I'll now have my chance. And for only $15; ***wow*** to say the least!
MGM, congrats on a very nice special edition at an extremely nice price. THIS is the way to do it! I hope we see more quality like this in the future, especially if you can bring it to us at that price point. THANK YOU! I can't wait.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I have to totally agree with you on your post.
I myself have discovered that Blockbuster will carry unrated titles, if they don't have a choice to choose between. My area Blockbuster most recently flabbergasted me by only getting in for rental the Pan and Scan version of the latest edition of Silence of the Lambs. The only letterboxed edition is that of the bare bones original release.
Though the company's do have the access to feature unrated versions via the seemless branching. I really don't think that the true reason why most studios won't release unrated versions isn't really because of political climate. I believe that most of the reasoning is 'why take the time?'
My local Blockbuster has even gone to the extent of slapping a parental advisory sticker on the orignal Universal title "Creature From The Black Lagoon." Such platent stupidy on films amazes me. But yet this is what the mainstream public wants. The people who first of all don't normally see the film in the theater to begin, or would even know that their films are being tampered with. The true movie fans are the forgotten ones.
I applaud MGM for the release of Dressed To Kill and for them giving birth to the Midnight Movie Dvd series. Unlike most studios, MGM, though they have some faults, doesn't seem to be ashamed of their horror past. Much less that fact that these are catalog titles that they are releasing at a DVD fan friendly price and not a full manufactor retail price. Though I admit that I own many catalog titles from it seems every studio, I still resent paying a full price of 25 to 30 dollars for a catalog title.
On my way to pick up the Special Edition of Carrie...Thank you MGM!

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I myself have discovered that Blockbuster will carry unrated titles
Another oddity is that my local BB has Requiem for a Dream the rated version for rent, but sells the unrated version. I thought that was kinda strange.
------------------
Dear WB : Release Wonka in Widescreen!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
btw- i have never seen Dressed to Kill before,the whole thing anyway.
It's come on basic cable a few times + the R version on premium cable. Yet after seeing a few scenes on tv in heavily edited form, i just wasn't into the movie and thought it was stupid,so i never bothered sitting through the whole thing,not to mention it looks horrible in pan & scan!
Yet after seeing alittle of some great scenes like the subway chase ect. I started becoming more interested in the movie & when i heard the dvd would include both versions + in widescreen!!!! I had to buy it & give it a chance & i'm sure i'll love it.
As for NBK- i bought the unrated dvd of course. After seeing the R version a few times when it were came out on video. I thought it was a great movie,but hoped to see it uncut after hearing so much about how heavily cut it was. After veiwing the uncut version. I have no reasons for ever seeing the R version again since it just doesn't do the film justice & censorship sucks anyway.
To bad other studios are to "ashamed" to ever release a movie in it's proper version because of so many trivial excuses.

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
btw- i have never seen Dressed to Kill before,the whole thing anyway.
It's come on basic cable a few times + the R version on premium cable. Yet after seeing a few scenes on tv in heavily edited form, i just wasn't into the movie and thought it was stupid,so i never bothered sitting through the whole thing,not to mention it looks horrible in pan & scan!
Yet after seeing alittle of some great scenes like the subway chase ect. I started becoming more interested in the movie & when i heard the dvd would include both versions + in widescreen!!!! I had to buy it & give it a chance & i'm sure i'll love it. + to point out how censorship & no OAR can hurt a persons initial veiwing of a film & why OAR + uncensored versions are very important.Especially if the movie is butchured beyond recognition. The cuts lesson the impact of the scene(s) changing them dramatically
As for NBK- i bought the unrated dvd of course. After seeing the R version a few times when it were came out on video. I thought it was a great movie,but hoped to see it uncut after hearing so much about how heavily cut it was. After veiwing the uncut version. I have no reasons for ever seeing the R version again since it just doesn't do the film justice & censorship sucks anyway.
To bad other studios are to "ashamed" to ever release a movie in it's proper version because of so many trivial excuses.
[Edited last by Christina_DQ on August 22, 2001 at 08:39 PM]

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Thank you, MGM! I can't wait to pick up Dressed to Kill and Carrie, and next year The Fog and Last House on the Left. You really know what we horror fans want and we're gonna pay you back out of our wallets.
Movies like My Bloody Valentine and the Friday the 13th series deserve to be released in their theatrical cut as well as their Unrated, Director's cut versions. Why don't more studios do this? I would've already purchased the current 4 Friday DVDs if they had their respective director's cuts on each. If I wanted the R cut, I'd just watch my old VHS tapes, which are still holding up pretty well. :)
I really hope the other studios are paying attention to this thread. Placing both versions on a DVD is really the best and most sensible way to take advantage of the medium, and gives both sets of fans exactly what we want. Once again, thanks MGM! :)
[Edited last by Wes Ray on August 22, 2001 at 06:30 PM]

RayG

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if Warner is going to include the extra gory scenes that were on the unrated Blade Runner VHS when its released on DVD next year. You would think Scott would want them in his difinitive cut since he shot them.
[Edited last by RayG on August 22, 2001 at 07:15 PM]

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the double post,the web disconnected as i was about to post it.
As for Blade Runner. I read in the book by Paul Sammon called Future Noir:The Making of Blade Runner. That the violent scenes were cut not because of ratings reasons,but just to (try) pleasing test audiences who didn't like them!
btw-thats a great book,both highly informative & entertaining. Definatly pick it up!
I hope those scenes are included in the new cut/release of the movie as well as the voice over option or better yet as stated with this post- mutilple versions such as.......
the uncut theatrical version
the so called Director's Cut
& new definitive cut.
(& work print scenes as extras!)
+ you could easily use seamless branching to fit the different versions on the disc. Since the differences are small between the theatrical version & so called DC-you could have a option to watch that version with or without the VO,happy ending & dream sequence.
Then also include the new defintive cut.
Just some suggestions but i wonder if anyone will give it a shot?
Hopefully the studios see this thread.
[Edited last by Christina_DQ on August 22, 2001 at 08:55 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks