Thanks, I like my new "system"

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Andrew O'Brien, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Thank you to everyone that had suggestions over the past couple of weeks as I begun to to plan something around my new receiver.

I finally got everything hooked up tonight, more of a pain that I expected. Bad cable , weird binding posts that test my poor eyesight, and not enough new speaker wire, all delayed things considerably.

Although I have not set up my receiver fully , including delay settings, it is already much better than my 10 year old surround sound system. Seems that Dolby Digital really makes a difference. Being a genuine audiophile my first DVD was Rugrats Go Wild :b , the kid's choice which was actually quite good for effects. The rears got my action than anything ever did on my old system. I'm just playing the Coldplay DVD as I type, sounds fairly good.

I think I do need to upgrade my subwoofer, the 12 inch Radio Shack passive subwoofer from 10 years ago sounds too muddy, I powered it via my old Sony pro-logic receiver. I'll add the Dayton 100 watt 10 incher soon. My Pinnacle center speaker could be improved a tad, maybe the receiver adjustments will help.

My front L&R are Infinity Reference 3's , also 10 years old. My L&R rears are EPI bookshelves that were Consumer Report "best buy" 26 years ago !!!! I really like how these four performed. As many here suggested, they were WAY better than the HT In-A-Box speaker systems that I auditioned.

Lots more fiddling around to do, but making progress

Andy.,

2. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Congrats on the new setup. It's a blessed experience the first time you turn it on. Great choice of DVD to break it in [​IMG]
    Since you have the basic setup, you can upgrade piece at a time till you're content. But now that you do have the basics, maybe it's time to upgrade the ol' DVD collection.
    About your EPI speakers you're using, are they really 26 years old? If so then thats impressive.... I hope my speakers live that long. You're probably 100% correct in saying they sound better that the HTIB speakers. How do they sound?

Have fun.
    Brian

3. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Yes they are 26 years old, bought them when I got my first "real" job after college graduation , summer of 1977. They sounded quite good last night when hooked up as rears, not as good as my Infinity R3's that I use up front but good enough for rears at my house.

Andy.