THANKS!!! Got My Receiver, Speakers, and DVD...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Saturday I went to make my final decision on my receiver, speakers and DVD... After plenty of hmmmmm's.... I ended up getting an Onkyo 595, Panasonic RP56, Jamo 310 Bundle's... AND WOW!!! sounds GREAT!!!
    I definatly had a bit of trouble deciding between the Kenwood 509 and the Onkyo 595... So, I decided on the one that I auditioned the speakers with... I know both were really nice receivers... I've always bought Kenwood, I got my Grandfather a hi-end kenwood back 5+ years ago, and my dad bought one a few years back... But seeing every time I heard the Jamo's, they were hooked up to an Onkyo (Jamo Distributes for Onkyo in Denmark, and Onkyo Distributes for Jamo in Japan), so I decided to go with my gut feeling...
    Then I decided to get the Panasonic RP56 because it got plenty of nice reviews... Looks and Sounds great with my Onkyo... I was going to get a Onkyo 5 disc changer... But I decided that I would go with the best bang for the buck!!!
    The speakers... I LOVE!!! these sound great!!! the 9" powered sub is going to know pictures off the wall... These have to be the best speakers I have ever owned....
    So, my set up
    Onkyo 595
    Panasonic RP56
    Jamo Apollo's 310 bundle
    32" Toshiba (no composite or HDTV)
    Sharp S-VHS (I don't know the model but VHS isn't as pretty as DVD's anyways!!!)
    Thanks for everyone's help!!! And pro's and con's... My only bitch is that the Onkyo remote is backlit on the top... but the bottom IS NOT... Just like everyone kept saying... [​IMG]... Maybe I should go to circuit city, buy a 696 and switch the remotes... hehe... j/k...
    Bill

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Excellent! Enjoy your new system for a long time to come! (Not that you won't get 'upgraditis' in a day or two. [​IMG])

3. Bill Johnston

I hope I don't get upgraditis in the next day or two... haha... I set up a few people with new systems... and I've been living with Dolby Surround for 10 years... YUCK!!!

Bill

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Can I tempt your upgrade-itis genes with a Denon 2802 that has DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and Dolby Digital-EX compatible decoding? [​IMG]
    Dan

5. Bill Johnston

DON"T DO THAT!!! I barily fit the 5 speakers in my living room... hehe... not to mention... the 9" sub was HUGE, can't imagine what people do with anything larger... This thing rattled my house!!! my pictures might even fall off the wall...

YIKES... hehe...

But I am very much happy with my decision... Other than I hope i made the right decision NOT getting a 5 DVD Onkyo changer... But, I don't think I'll use it...

Bill

6. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I think you made a wise choice on the DVD player. While I have a 301CD jukebox, I'm not sold on the idea of having a carousel or jukebox for DVD's at this point. My family only watches a movie or two a week, so manually changing disks is not a problem. CD's are a different matter however!!! My CD moods change drastically from minute to minute. Having all my CD's accessible at the touch of a button is great.

I've never had the pleasure of demoing Jamo speakers, but they are nice looking!

Enjoy!

Pete

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

You know what? Every time I hear of someone on this board getting a new system and being so happy with it, I too feel joy vicariously, as I'm sure a lot of us do. You did it just right. No rash decisions. No impulsive buying. Taking your time to put a system together just the way you like it. I really feel sorry for all of those who walk into a chain store and just buy whatever the salesperson tells them is good. Really, I do.

8. Bill Johnston

It's definatly tough buying a reciever... Even the place that I bought the Receiver and Speakers from didn't have EITHER the Kenwood 509 or the Onkyo 595 hooked up to them... I heard the speakers to a $1500-$2500 Kenwood... But, Luckly The Great Indoors had the Jamo's hooked up to a Onkyo 595... They sounded GREAT... I almost bought the speakers... then went to circuit city and bought the kenwood and the onkyo... Go home... hook up the equipment... see which amp sounds best with the speakers... It's like... WHAT THE HELL?
    Oh well... Maybe one day these people will learn to properlly allow you to audition the systems!!! But untill then... I guess we will have to struggle...
    [​IMG]