Thanks for squishing the Chroma Bug

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Moran, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Tom Moran

Tom Moran Agent

First off, a lot of the feedback here seems overly negative to me. In my humble opinion DVD Etc. is nothing short of the best publication available in the category loosely defined as A/V enthusiast.
    The mag is very well written with a humorous, refreshingly honest, straight forward and no BS tone. Even more importantly the reviews cover the full range of equipment price ranges rather than wasting space with flowery, totally subjective reviews of esoteric high-end gear that are all too common in A/V publications.
    Combine this with the best art direction of any A/V magazine (why are all the rest so cheesy looking?) and DVD Etc. is one of only two magazines I've continued to buy after a month or two of buying all of the A/V publications I could find as I finally had the opportunity to build my first home theater and serious music listening space.
    So for those of you checking out this section of the HTF to see what people think of DVD Etc. ignore the whining about trivial stuff that is way too prevalent on all web forums and check out a copy for yourself.
    So, finally I'll get to the specific reason I wanted to post a message here which is to thank the Editorial staff of DVD Etc. for writing a great article on the Chroma Bug in Issue 4. After reading about this problem here and bringing it up with the sales rep at my local store I finally have something concrete to share with others so they understand more about what is driving my buying decisions.
    Sales reps in retail stores, even higher end A/V retailers, should not be expected to know it all and an informed consumer helps the sales rep meet their needs rather than trying to impress them with how much more they know than a "professional".
    The "Do You Have the Chroma Bug?" article clearly defines what the problem is, what causes it and what it looks like in a way that is very valuable to someone looking to purchase a DVD player. It is just one example of the excellent editorial content of DVD Etc.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    P.S. I'd love to see a review of the Denon 3803.[​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thanks for the nice post, Tom. I'm sure Clint and crew will love it. Constructive criticism and advice and dialogue were the intent of this and the other magazine sections.

3. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Tom, Thank you very much for the kudos. More often than not, folks are inspired to write about the negatives than the positives. Although, I must admit--we wouldn't be this good if not for listening to some of the criticism and acting on it. We're working hard to make this magazine meet and exceed the expectations of the readers and the industry--looks like it's working.

4. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I've got to 2nd what Tom said. The article on the chroma bug is what made me buy the magazine to begin with. After reading it cover to cover I subscribed. It's one of those things you hear about often enough, but never is fully explained.

5. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

Manoj's article was not the cure for insomnia that I was expecting. But his compelling review of the Philips DVD-962SA in the very same issue seems to avoid mentioning the Chroma-bug altogether. Since I was considering the Denon DVD 1600 up until I read about the Philips (the 1600 being known to be chroma bug free) I now have a question...is the Philips 962SA infected?

I am fearful of Chroma Pox, and don't trust any of the salespeople anymore.

6. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

David,
    The 962 does not have the chroma bug. Neither does the 985 DVD recorder. I will have to make sure that I mention that in the articles. And thanks for not falling asleep, that is the most rousing endorsement I could have hoped for...[​IMG]

7. DavidDon

Thanks for the quick response!

8. DavidDon

Well, now that you've got me interested in the Philips, and paranoid over chromapox, it seems the philips is not yet available. Any idea when it will be? One more question...are all Denon DVD players chroma bug free?

9. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The 962 has been out for some time and should be available, its successor the 963 has not yet become available. I was told to expect a review unit sometime in December, I would expect availability of the 963 by January(?). The 963 has the new Faroudja 2300 series de-interlacer, a 13bit/108 MHz video DAC, as well as CD upsampling for less than the 962.

The Denon 2800/3800/9000 all had the chroma bug, but the 3800 and 9000 were fixed with a firmware upgrade. As far as I know, the 2800 MKII does still have the chroma bug, but this may have changed. Denon is getting set to bring out new players this coming year also. The 1600 does not have the bug, I do not know about the 900, but I believe that it is in for review.

10. DavidDon

Wow...thanks again for the info. As much as I like the info, being informed certainly complicates the decision making process.

11. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Remember, as complex as the decision process becomes, choices are always good.[​IMG] If you want to get a Philips unit, and if you can wait a few weeks, then go for the 963 when it comes out. The 962 is already excellent, with an upgraded DAC and new Faroudja chip, there is the possibility that the 963 might even be better. If you can't wait, then the 962 should not give you much in the way of regret. As long as you get enjoyment out of it-that's the bottom line.

12. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator