What's new

Thanks for help here. I have Paradigm Performance speakers. (1 Viewer)

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I relied on the forum a lot for speaker questions and help. However, now I don't check in to the forum very often.

Just for reference, I have Paradigm Phantom (Phantoms), Atom (Atoms), CC-270, and PDR-12. I have these connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX receiver with Liberty Cable Ultra Cap 12 ga. speaker wire for the front 3, Liberty Cable Extra Flex 14 ga. speaker wire for the surrounds, and Liberty Cable Z-300 subwoofer interconnect.

Please don't hesitate to contact me by email for info about my equipment.

Sorry to clutter up the board, but I just wanted to be a resource for those that are interested.

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Andy, how big is your room?

I'm in the process of setting up my HT with:

Center - CC170
Mains - Phantoms
Surrounds - Titans
Sub - PDR-10

My room is 12x18. Do you think this setup is adequate?

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I believe my room is about the same size. However the "back" is open to the dining room and the side is open to the entry way and I have vaulted ceilings. It's a pretty open family room.

For the sub, I keep the dial set at about 90% volume. But, I have my receiver set for -8 db offset for regular TV and set it at around -4 db offset for movies (mains and center at 0 db and surround at +2 db). At -2 db offset while watching LOTR EE in DTS, pictures fall off the wall ... in the next room! So, I definitely think that the PDR-10 is enough sub. When I purchased, the price between 10 and 12 was like $30, so I ended up with the 12.

I demoed the Titan with CC-170 and Atom surrounds at my local store using my own source material. They had neither the Phantoms nor the CC-270. I thought the 170 was rather average. Also, the Phantom is supposed to be mated to the 270. So I went with the 270 and it's larger drivers. I thought the Titan sounded awesome, so I felt comfortable ordering the Phantom without actually hearing it (I needed floor-standing to please the wife).

So, the sub should be fine. The Phantoms are just amazing and they sometimes make me want to listen to movies in stereo! No worries there. The Titans are overkill for surrounds, in my opinion (not necessarily a bad thing). For the money (I think they were $25 more than the Atoms when I was buying) it's a good deal. I'd have done it too, but they were just too large (physically) for my room to use as surrounds (wife likes speakers to be as hidden/transparent as possible and this is easier accomplished with the Atoms).

So mains, surround, and sub should be great. I'd consider looking at the CC-270 over the 170, though. I didn't actually do a side by side, though. My comparison is using the 170 with Titan mains, Atom surrounds, PDR-10, and a Denon receiver AND using the 270 with Phantom mains, Atom surrounds, PDR-12, and a Pioneer Elite receiver ... in a different room more than a month later.

So, you see that my comparison between 170 and 270 is skewed. However, my ears and memory tell me that I like the 270 much better ... worth the added cost. BUT, if you like the 170 in your room, then that's all that matters.

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with the Phantoms and Titans and your sub should do the job just fine. Center isn't the one that Paradigm recommends, but it will most likely be just fine for you and your room, too.

Good luck.

BrendanG

Agent
hey andy, how would you say your sub performs with music? I have a similar set up with paradigms and i am looking for a subwoofer. Thanks. By the way, sick '67 camaro. very nice.

KenE

Grip
I was able to compare the CC-170 and 270 in an A/B environment exhaustively. Until you do, you won't realize the details your ears are missing. Go bigger $$ with the center- it does the lion's share of the work. I'm seriously afraid to listen to the 370 or Studio/CC.. I know I'll want them. =)

Also, the Paradigm web site has semi-wrong specs for the CC-270. It says 25mm/3/4" tweeter when it's actually a 25mm/1" tweeter. The 170 is 3/4". If you were to match up voices, you'd want the Focus-->Esprit-->Phantom-->Legends.

Ken

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
20's and studio cc accross the front. Once you listen to that in home, you won't settle for less.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I'm afraid I'm not a very good judge on music. My ear isn't very discriminating and I don't listen to very much music on my system.

I have listened to some radio (country and Top 40 stuff) and a few CDs, that include Paul Simon, Jimmy Buffet, Neil Diamond, Dixie Chicks, and Amy Grant. All sounded great to me.

All I can say is that I didn't notice the sub at all ... until I turned it off. Like with TV, the sub can overpower the source material, so I think I keep it at around the -8 db offset with music.

Regarding cost, I bought my 6-speaker system for a shade under $1,200. I forget the exact breakdown on cost. If you skip the sub and go with the cheaper 170, then I guess that would save around $350 for a price of $800 - $850?

Dave_La

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

CC-170 - $179 (local retailer)
Titans - $218pr (local retailer)
Phantoms - $300used on ebay
PDR-10 - $349 (local retailer)

I still haven't set it up. So that would be $700 minus the sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have Monitor 5s, CC-370, Titans and I paid ~$760. Smoking deal :D

I also have a CC-170 for a rear center, but it is not being used right now because there's nowhere to put it in my new room.

I have been thinking of upgrading to a Studio-CC and 40s for the front stage, but after some auditioning, both in store and at a friend's house, I am still not 100% sold. I have heard DIY speakers that sound as good, if not better, for a little less $$ Not to mention, that I question whether I really need to upgrade every time I listen to my system. I am quite pleased with it right now, for everything I ask of it. I have a separate 2ch system for music already.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
I put together this system at the only Paradigm shop in the city:

2 Esprit
4 Atoms
1 CC170

All for $900. Anyways, I found some pretty good deals on used Monitor series stuff so I think I'm going that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks