Thanks for Denon 3802 lead: here's my new HT system:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Corey Holter, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

Well after nearly six months of research, I finally "pulled the trigger" and bought a plasma and Home Theater System. Thanks to the members of this forum for the lead on the Denon 3802.

After months of researching this site and the AVS Forum, here is what I've purchased. I welcome your comments, but please be gentle as I've already shelled out the cash .

The sytem:

Panasonic TH-42PWD4UY plasma display
    Denon AVR-3802 AV Receiver
    Panasonic RP-62 Progressive Scan DVD
    Samsung SIR T-151 HDTV STB
    Tivo Series 2 - 60 hours
    Onkyo 6-disk CD carrousel player
    Panasonic Stereo VCR (old)
    ChannelMaster MX-500 Universal Remote
    Paradigm Monitor 7 v3 - fronts
    Paradigm Mini Monitors v3 - rears
    Paradigm CC-370 v3 - center
    Paradigm PW-2200 - subwoofer

Thanks again to everyone on the forum for the great assistance

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Nice system Corey:

The Denon mates well with Paradigm as the speakers lean towards bright and the Denon leans towards warm. This should be a nice neutral sounding system. You have a kickass sound system that should keep you happy for a long time (that is if you stop coming here often). I am not much of a videophile so I cant comment on the video part of it. If you have a digial cam post some pictures. I am sure the system looks coooooooooooooool.

Best of luck.

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Corey consider yourself one of the lucky ones who found these forums before you made your purchase.[​IMG][​IMG]
    Enjoy your system[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Nice toys Corey. Enjoy!

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Corey is this your first system?
    If so, damn you did a great job [​IMG] Have you received everything yet? I know for sure that you will love the Denon 3802. I've had mine for 7 months now and simply love it. Good choice on the speakers. Paradigm is big fav here. This forum is the reason that I got my Paradigm Studio 60's & CC.

6. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, this is my first system. It replaces a 27" Proscan and an old Onkyo 595 that was stereo only (no 5.1).

A friend at work turned me onto this forum and the AVforum when I told him I was interested in a plasma TV. I believe that I've saved literally thousands, plus I made informed decisions rather than buying what a salesperson told me was good. It took me awhile to educate myself. When I first started I didn't even know what 5.1 surround was!

The thought process went like this:

Need a plasma TV for asthetic reasons and WAF.
    Need surround sound system - bought Paradigm.
    Need receiver to drive sound system - Denon.
    Need something to feed the Plasma other than TV.
    Discard old DVD and get new progressive Scan DVD.
    Need to have HDTV, so get a new STB.
    7 remotes is too many, so get MX-500.
    For good measure, throw in a Tivo on top of everything else!

All the equipment has arrived and I've connected it all outside the cabinet to check connections. I'll put into the cabinet this weekend.

Watched Jay Leno in HDTV tonight for the first time. Awesome. Also, I should add that I am very pleasantly surprised with the picture quality of digital cable on the plasma. I thought I'd be disappointed (garbage in-garbage out), but it is more than acceptable.

Corey

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Wow!!! That is one hell of a great first, or second, or third...system. I just love it when someone does their research before blindly buying. I've made the "blind" mistake too often. Make sure you post your impressions after you watch some DVD's and listened to some music. You won't believe what an impact the sub will have.

8. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

great system Corey and most importantly a keeper too.

You'll be good to go for awhile with your system since the 3802 is upgreadable!

9. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

10. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

11. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Very nice and clean.

12. Ricky***C

Ricky***C Extra

AWESOME [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of FIVE

13. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Nice setup Corey! Looks cool. The only thing I would suggest is to move the front speakers closer such that the equipment rack is not in between the line joining the front speaker baffles. You might also have to move the chair near the right speaker. This will improve your two channel imaging immensly. For HT it might not matter but for two channel listening its better to not have anything between the front baffles of the speakers for good soundstaging and imaging. Just a suggestion.

14. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

Yogi - thanks for the suggestion and maybe I'll give it a try. However, the setup has to meet with WAF! It was tough to convince her to go with Towers up front as opposed to Bose cubes...

I'm also about 80% HT / 20% Audio.

But I think I'll give it a try and see 1) if I notice a big difference in sound and 2) if the wife says anything.

Thanks for your comments!

15. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

When you do this comparison listen to some jazz vocals. See if you can place the individual instruments and the vocalist on the stage and see if their position changes/collapses at high volumes. Move the speakers forward and see if this improves. I think it should help to have speakers away from the walls and with nothing in between the front baffles.

Best of luck.