Thanks, Everybody

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Keck, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Well, after lurknig here for well over a year, I decided that it would be time to act this spring. I wanted a new sub and used what I learned here and elsewhere to design a sub witha Quatro 15 driver, four inch Precision Port, and 240 PE plate amp. AS it happened, the driver went on sale as a DOTD before Christmas, so I got it and the Port. The 500 watt amp went on sale thenext day, and two members of anothe forum convinced me that it would be worth it. I wound up with the time off from Christmas eve through Jan 10. We got some breaks in the weather. So I designed a box with a program called BOSX CAD from this site http://www.audiodiycentral.com/tools.shtml The design was 31H X 22.5 D X 18.5 W. The sub is 9/16" shorter because the lumberyard cut one side 9/16" too short. I trimmed the other sides and made sure that my less-than-even cuts were on the bottom. I wonder how much mdf one has to cut to get enough sawdust to make a full sheet of the stuff.

I put in a brace paralell withthe front and back and one from the brace to the front. I lined the box with poly-foam seat cushion filling. It came in convienient slabs, much like foam. I used Gorilla Glue to attach everythiing. I had some black enamel, so you know what I painted it with.

I installed the goodies, placed the sub in the left front corner. That's the only front corner I have in the room. I used my Stryke test tone CD and venerable RS meter to calabrate it. (These were purchased to calibrate my original Tiny Mity.) I got it reasonably flat to 17.5 hz. (=/-5 from 17.5 to 80, where it crosses ove to my Polk RTi 38s). I could hear noise even at 12.5, but it didn't register on the meter.

I haven't played a movie through it, yet, but most of the music I've played through it has been stellar. Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony was a real treat. My "The Bass and I" by Ron Carter did not fare as well. I plugged the port, which seemed to make everything blend better. It looks like I'' have some more adjusting to do.

I wanted to thank everyone who posts here, especially about subwoofers, for the information AND inspiration.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Great job Jack! Got any pics?

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I need to find a friend with a digital camera. I would have liked to get some pics while I was building it. I figured you guys could use a good laugh.

4. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Make a minor investment in a BFD (search this site)[​IMG]