What's new

Thanks all (1 Viewer)

Pete P

Auditioning
At the risk of sounding too touchy-feely, I wanted to thank all of those who contribute to this forum. When I recently started visiting (as a neophyte), I learned about the default “torch mode” and have subsequently reduced the contrast (and made other adjustments) on my older 27” Panasonic. Just with these simple adjustments on this marginal television:
- Colors are more lifelike with more discernible differences between colors
- I can now really tell the difference between cable channels. Some appear too dark, while others appears really gorgeous. Watching the Oregon – Wisconsin game today showed some excellent colors. My wife has even commented.
Again, thanks to all who contribute. Your advice and comments are really noticed.

Pete P

Auditioning
As I understand it, "torch mode" is the setting where contrast is turned all the way up to the highest level. Supposedly, this will make the set stand out on a dealer's floor compared to others and is the default setting on many brands when they come from the factory. I guess this is also a good way to shorten tube life.
When I first turned down the contrast (to ~60%) everything seemed too dark to me. I left the setting alone and gave myself a couple of days to orient myself.
Now this setting seems normal and a high contrast setting makes the colors all washed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks