What's new

Thank You, Universal, For Your Recent Catalog Blu-rays! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, shoot! The HDMI circuit on my receiver went out this morning meaning everything that feeds through HDMI is non-operational at the moment. I have a "new" Atmos receiver I bought a few months ago on sale to replace this current receiver once it bit the dust, but I dread the thought of switching everything out. The equipment is in a tight corner and not easy to navigate. I may wait until the weekend to deal with it. The optical in/out still works so I'll stream things over the TV and use that optical plug on a disc player if need be in the meantime.
It may just be the cable so check that out first. This happens more often than you think with HDMI cables. Unhooking and hooking up the same cable works at times too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, unfortunately, that was the first thought I had and the first thing I tried, but no soap. [sigh]
Just so you know, I had the same experience then I change cables and it cleared up. Later on that same day, I installed the old cable I previously replaced and it worked fine. At times, I think with all these HDMI equipment, stuff gets out of whack at times.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I agree with you, and in years past, when a receiver died, the whole thing died. With this, it's just the HDMI connections that don't work any more. The optical connection works just fine.

Anyway, I'm going to have company tomorrow afternoon for a visit before I drive him to the airport (thankfully, movie watching was not on the agenda), but when I come back I'll start thinking about tackling that installation of the new equipment.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, I agree with you, and in years past, when a receiver died, the whole thing died. With this, it's just the HDMI connections that don't work any more. The optical connection works just fine.

Anyway, I'm going to have company tomorrow afternoon for a visit before I drive him to the airport (thankfully, movie watching was not on the agenda), but when I come back I'll start thinking about tackling that installation of the new equipment.
HDMI stands for Highly Disappointing Multi-media Interface.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just so you know, I had the same experience then I change cables and it cleared up. Later on that same day, I installed the old cable I previously replaced and it worked fine. At times, I think with all these HDMI equipment, stuff gets out of whack at times.

I believe the technical term is "gets a bug up its ass" -- at least that's what my mother always said!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Have their been any recent announcements for more of their catalog? I really enjoyed the Cleopatra release and it was very unexpected...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the Region B Blu-ray of The Blue Dahlia tonight. Universal didn't put quite as much work in on this one as they did for The Glass Key. There were patches where dust specks and dirt took over momentarily and took me out of the storytelling. But it's such a good movie. I didn't watch any of the bonuses since I had other things I wanted to watch, but I'm glad to have them for another time.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I wonder what the condition of the original negatives are and if they are financially worth restoring? After Warner's disastrous Silk Stockings it makes me fear for Flower Drum Song.

How ironic Warner's has failed to transfer one of MGM's all time classics the '51 Showboat mentioned above along with so many other great 'Glorious Technicolor' musicals.

Come September is another visually splendid widescreen brightly lit Universal comedy with a cast from heaven that should be added to the list. Not that I have much hope.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I think if it was solely up to George Feltenstein at the Warner Archive, we'd have all of those glorious MGM musicals out on blu ray by now.....but they have to make business decisions to keep the label afloat. Fortunately, like all of the major studios, Warner is showing some flexibility in licensing their titles to other distributors (Criterion, Shout!, maybe more in future), so perhaps we'll see those released some day.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Fortunately, like all of the major studios, Warner is showing some flexibility in licensing their titles to other distributors (Criterion, Shout!, maybe more in future)

"Some" flexibility maybe -- but not enough. Why don't they do a deal with Kino Lorber so 3D Film Archive can help them monetize their remaining classic 3D titles?

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
People shouldn't be deterred from posting their wishes. I'm just suggesting folks shouldn't get their hopes up or hold their breath -- in contrast to independent labels, for example, who post here and elsewhere. This observation is based on Universal Home Entertainment's track record (or lack thereof) in this decade, after a spectacular run during the prior decade.
I have written to Universal asking whether they intend to release FLOWER DRUM SONG on to blu ray format pointing out that it is the last of the Rodgers & Hammerstein films not to be on it. Even State Fair 1962 is now on blur ray from Twilight Movies.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I love some of those beautifully colored Universal musicals and Come September for its pre tourist invading gorgeous Italian vistas but outside myself and 10 other people who would buy them?
Unless a classic color film has Monroe in it forget it. Warner's does Mame when they and their MGM catalogue have so many wonderful films yet to be transferred? Insane. Maybe what has been released just isn't selling. Deep in My Heart? It's Always Fair Weather? We're lucky we got them but did anyone want them but me?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I love some of those beautifully colored Universal musicals and Come September for its pre tourist invading gorgeous Italian vistas but outside myself and 10 other people who would buy them?
Unless a classic color film has Monroe in it forget it. Warner's does Mame when they and their MGM catalogue have so many wonderful films yet to be transferred? Insane. Maybe what has been released just isn't selling. Deep in My Heart? It's Always Fair Weather? We're lucky we got them but did anyone want them but me?
I bought both Deep In My Heart and It's Always Fair Weather as soon as they came out on Blu-ray. I've watched both more than once and I wouldn't be without them. My guess is that several hundred people at least, and possibly a few thousand, buy discs like these. I don't think Marilyn Monroe makes much difference to most people.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Man's Favorite Sport? seems an odd one, not one online review or comment about it. People post that they've ordered it & it's arrived...& then nothing. My own take on this is: It doesn't look brilliant, or some very happy campers would have posted, it doesn't look really dire, or there would have been even more posts, it just looks a wee bit disappointing & no need to update if you already have the DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If I had to narrow down to two my Uni requests, I'd say THE HEIRESS and FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks