What's new

Thank You, Universal, For Your Recent Catalog Blu-rays! (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am very grateful to Universal for the work they have done over the past few years bringing classics to Region A Blu-ray consumers.

However, I watched this afternoon the superb mystery The Glass Key on Blu-ray, but to have it, I imported it from Germany on a Region B disc. The picture quality was gorgeous and the sound was excellent (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono), so care has been given to this terrific movie. But why did I have to "go to Germany" to get it? I love the Universal monsters, and the Marx Bros. and Dietrich sets are magnificent, but the Paramount mysteries and dramas of the 1940s (also their comedies and musicals) are equally worthy of Blu-ray consideration for this side of the Atlantic. I hope the classics that already have an HD master ready on Blu-ray will be released in Region A (or better yet all region) so EVERYONE regardless of their equipment can experience these great films.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I am very grateful to Universal for the work they have done over the past few years bringing classics to Region A Blu-ray consumers.

However, I watched this afternoon the superb mystery The Glass Key on Blu-ray, but to have it, I imported it from Germany on a Region B disc. The picture quality was gorgeous and the sound was excellent (DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono), so care has been given to this terrific movie. But why did I have to "go to Germany" to get it? I love the Universal monsters, and the Marx Bros. and Dietrich sets are magnificent, but the Paramount mysteries and dramas of the 1940s (also their comedies and musicals) are equally worthy of Blu-ray consideration for this side of the Atlantic. I hope the classics that already have an HD master ready on Blu-ray will be released in Region A (or better yet all region) so EVERYONE regardless of their equipment can experience these great films.
I would love this and The Blue Dahlia (also released in Germany on Region B disc) to be released in the US.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Tammy and the Bachelor, pretty please.
Also Thoroughly Modern Millie ans Sweet Charity. Flower Drum Song too, though not quite as much.
Uni needs to fix the edge enhancement on Anne of the Thousand Days. I have both the Spanish and German releases - both region free - both suffering from some horrendous edge effects that, by now, ought to be antique.

Will back anyone who wants more of the Uni/Paramount catalog - The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific, The Major and the Minor, The Heiress, Midnight, The Blue Dahlia, The Glass Key, This Gun for Hire, Criss Cross, etc. Too much good stuff still MIA but available in Europe first and exclusively. Dumb! Really dumb! I don't really have a problem with Uni making stuff available in Europe, so long as it is a region free offering I can import at will. No reason at all to limit such deep catalog to Europe only.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Will back anyone who wants more of the Uni/Paramount catalog - The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific, The Major and the Minor, The Heiress, Midnight, The Blue Dahlia, The Glass Key, This Gun for Hire, Criss Cross, etc. Too much good stuff still MIA but available in Europe first and exclusively. Dumb! Really dumb! I don't really have a problem with Uni making stuff available in Europe, so long as it is a region free offering I can import at will. No reason at all to limit such deep catalog to Europe only.

The German release of the Gary Cooper western Unconquered (1947) looks fantastic, as does The War Lord (1965) UK/Germany/France, but all these European releases are licensed out from Universal to various companies. I don't know why all these titles aren't turning up in America, it has to be, 1/US companies don't want to license them from Universal, or, 2/Universal doesn't want to license them out in the US for some reason, or release them themselves (or maybe some legal reason why they can't).

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long

Matt - can you tell me what other Paramount mysteries from Germany you've seen/recommend? I just put this one on my order list (you're an expensive friend:D)
It's so hard to fill my projector with quality grey movies.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, shoot! The HDMI circuit on my receiver went out this morning meaning everything that feeds through HDMI is non-operational at the moment. I have a "new" Atmos receiver I bought a few months ago on sale to replace this current receiver once it bit the dust, but I dread the thought of switching everything out. The equipment is in a tight corner and not easy to navigate. I may wait until the weekend to deal with it. The optical in/out still works so I'll stream things over the TV and use that optical plug on a disc player if need be in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks