thank you........SVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Meissner, May 3, 2002.

1. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for offering the driver upgrade. I just bought one of the original drivers off this board and got to test out my first DIY sub tonight. So that is why I am thanking you.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I cant imagine how bass can get any better. I cant seem to wipe the smile off my face.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    well cant wait until you offer another upgrade.[​IMG]

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

What are the specs for your diy unit? I kept the spare driver to build a clone 20-39 to accompany my original SVS.

3. Joe Meissner

you can go to this thread to see a picture of my sub in its early stages http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=66651
    it is a 3.20^3 box with a 19 1/2 inch long 4" port. tuned to 21ish.
    I just finished the basic box and tested it out before i do all the painting and i can tell you it is awesome. I thru in JP3 and was just blown away by the improvement over my old sub. i will get more pictures when its all done and post them too. should be about a week before i can bring it in the house for good.

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Joe,

While we didn't offer the upgraded ISD woofers to old customers with an intent to flood the parts market with our original woofers, it's not a problem for us either. We sort of expected folks to snap them up (those not returned to us for a rebate anyway).

We just wish we could offer more assistance in DIY use of them! The new ISD (not really new, we've been using them since Dec 01) is so good it surprised even us, but the original SVS driver was no slouch by any means. If you have a hankerin' to get your hands busy with a DIY bass project you could have picked a worse place to start.

It's nice to see folks "recycling" SVS components like you are. Thanks for the report from the trenches. The creativity of DIY'rs is something that still runs thru our veins you know ;^)

Ron

5. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

It comes full circle.

I joined the HTF in 1998. Met Tom (and his car(s)here) and benefited from his bass experimentation. My eyes wide at the HUGE sonotubes in his pictures. I remember when he and Ron hooked up and the loooong wait for the first units to get shipped. I got a 25-31PC (serial #16-2 month wait to ship) and sold my old Klipsch sub to a co-worker.

After 14 months of bass bliss; I got onboard with the ISD special. My old driver sat in the ISD's shipping box in a spare bedroom's closet for a month or so while I decided what to do with it, ship it back or what.

Then I saw poor Joe trying to get one on the Hardware for Sale forum; each time, he just missed out. My original driver's fate was sealed; I put it up for sale and Joe was first email (I think it was 5 minutes after my posting). I think I was as excited as he was watching the UPS site as it went from NY to Ohio (it's birthplace and Joe's home). I tried to get it to him before the weekend since he had his DIY sub box built, just waiting to fill with a driver and he had an out of town wedding over the weekend. I wanted him to have a chance to play a little before he left.

Well, he got it Thursday and I see he got a chance to hear it before the weekend.

Cheers, Joe!

6. Joe Meissner

that wedding this weekend was a killer.. [​IMG] All i thought about was getting home to get some work done on the sub.
    so i got some work done on the box today. it is all painted and and ready for the wood trim. then a little staining and varnishing . which i will be able to do at night before i go to bed. [​IMG] ( that way i can be using it sooner. [​IMG] ) than it will be a matter of getting it dialed in and adding some acoustic foam to the walls as needed. as you can tell im very excited about this project.
    thanks again.

7. Joe Meissner

its done[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jeffrey Johnson

Jeffrey Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Hey Joe, nice looking sub!! Where in Ohio do you live? I'm up in Toledo.

9. Joe Meissner

I am in Cuyahoga Falls. which is by Akron. thanks for the compliment.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Looks killer to me. Good job. Does the port bend upwards? Just curious as to the specifics of how you tuned it and accomodated the port length etc for the enclosure.

11. Joe Meissner

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    yes the port has a 90degree elbow in it. with a total lenght of 19.5 inches to tune it to 21hz. this is my first DIY project and I still have a smile[​IMG] on my face this morning. i finished it last night at 1:30AM and listened [​IMG] till 2:30am and had to be up at six. [​IMG] I am just in awe of how much better this sounds than my old sub.

12. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

As said above, VERY nice job Joe.
    You have a promising career should you ever want to settle in NE Ohio! ;^)
    Flexible hours, competitive wages, that's SVS all over ;^0
    P.S Can't quite tell, did you put a grill over the driver?
    The bent port was inspired. I did something simular once with this experiment. Thanks for sharing your's with us!
    Ron

13. Joe Meissner

thanks Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yes the driver has a grill over it. [​IMG] I didn't want to but when you have a 3 year old and a 1 year old you have to protect your investments.[​IMG] maybe some day i will have a dedicated theater and i can just lock the door.[​IMG]

14. Joe Meissner

you can see an early construction pic here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...8750#post648052
    i didnt have time to do photo's every step of the way like some. But the box is pretty basic. It was a lot of fun to build and if anyone is wondering "no I cant make another one. the wife would kill me"!!!!! [​IMG]
    Again thanks all for the compliments. It feels good to make something that turned out this well.[​IMG] it exceeded my expectations big time.

15. Joe Meissner