Thank you HTF, from a first time poster!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike>Mob, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Mike>Mob

Mike>Mob Auditioning

I just wanted to thank everyone for providing the advice I needed in purchasing my very first HDTV and progressive scan DVD player!

I had a budget of about 1500 so I went with the Panny 47" (pt47wx53). Bought it for around $1375 at One Call including tax and shipping. These models do have DVI so I can at least feel safe for the future. I can't wait to start watching my DVD's in anamorphic widescreen!

I've been previously watching my movies on a 25" television with no AV inputs. I was watching my DVD's through an AV to Coax converter! Talk about an upgrade!

I just wanted to thank everyone again, and I'm excited to hop onboard the HT experience!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You're welcome! But . . .

Please don't post the same thread in multiple forums. Thanks!

M.

3. Mike>Mob

Mike>Mob Auditioning

My apologies. I'll be receiving my television next week. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Hmm, what shall be my first movie to watch? LOTR maybe?

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

First movie should be Avia.... ok not really a movie, but it does make all your movies look like new movies [​IMG]

5. Mike>Mob

Mike>Mob Auditioning

Ahh yes, I will most definitely will have my Avia disc handy after installing the set. I've also learned that I will probably need to have the set "warm up" for a couple of months, and reconfigure again. panny.tv is a good website to get info on configuring the panny HDTV's as well.

Thanks for the info!

I haven't gotten the progressive scan DVD player yet. I will start looking to see if there are any inexpensive DVI sets out there. If not, I will just go ahead and use component. Going from coax on a standard set to component on an HDTV will be a mind blowing experience. [​IMG]

6. JohnSch

JohnSch Extra

Hi Mike - I have your set's big brother (53") and mine is a whopping 2 weeks old.

Don't forget you need to converge (setup) on each input - you will want to go ahead and do the user mode converge right out of the box (afer a few times it hardly takes more than a minute or two) for whatever inputs you are using. Then re-converge again in a few days, then a week, then as needed. Mine was all over the place the first couple days, it has settled down since.

And as you already know from the panny.tv site, turn down those settings (picture, brightenes, and contrast) at least below 30, before you do anything else [​IMG]

You're gonna love it. I would not worry about DVI input for the DVD too much, component/progressive at 480p isn't going to look a whole lot different, and you have lots of choices well under $100 for those.

7. Mike>Mob

Mike>Mob Auditioning

Thanks for the info John! I will most definitely take heed to your advice. Congrats on your recent purchase as well!

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mike:

Also let your set warm up for at least 30 minutes to an hour before calibrating it. Also, if you are ever in the market having your set calibrated by an ISF tech is the way to go to really bring out the bang from your set.

Congrats on your purchase.

Parker