What's new

Thank You Great Britain (1 Viewer)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I was moved to tears last night when I saw on U.S national news the moving tribute at Buckingham Palace when they played the United States National Anthem during the changing of the guard...
------------------

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Here's something weird...I had just finished listening to "London's Calling" by the Clash when I saw that. Weird...
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I originally posted this in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/005042.html but gladly repost it here.
I would like to offer my personal thanks to the non-American members of HTF for their words of comfort. This is a tough time to be an American. The first night after the attack was a very emotional and difficult time. I guess I felt a little isolated, I felt that it was them-against-us; until I saw video of people in countries all over the world leaving flowers and lighting candles outside our embassy gates. It brought tears to my eyes. The out-pouring of sympathy and support from our allies and from all of Europe and the world is incredibly meaningful to me, and I'm sure, to all Americans.
Before this tragedy, our news programs only showed citizens in other countries protesting against America, or American interests. If you watched enough of it, and didn't know any better, you'd think the rest of the world hated America and Americans. The comfort, consolation, and solidarity we have seen from our global neighbors the last three days have disproved this beyond any shadow of the doubt.
I am especially grateful to our two closest allies, The United Kingdom and Canada. Our Canadian brothers opened their very homes to those Americans stranded in airports. This, and Canada's continued promise of unconditional support will always be remembered. It is good to know you can count on your next-door neighbor when the chips are down.
Tony Blair and Parliament have made it more then clear that the British are with us one hundred percent. Where would the US be without Great Britain covering our right flank? In times of trouble, Great Britain has always been the first, to offer the largest share of support, when we needed it the most. And you just know that you Brits will be with us, side-by-side, to the very end. That is heartening, and for that I am eternally grateful.
Thanks again,
Dave
------------------
"When you call me that, smile!"
My DVD Collection

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i have seen or heard the playing of The Star Spangled Banner at Buckingham Palace several times, both on radio and on television, and every time i have been moved to tears. as noted in the "worlds reaction" thread, the outpouring of support from the other nations is inspiring.
i'm saddened even more in reading the report at cnn.com concerning the loss of hundreds of people from other countries who were either in the planes of in the buildings.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if you guys get to see 'Last Night of the Proms' across your side of the Herring Pond, but for the first time ever, the patriotic British songs ('Rule Britannia', etc - which to be honest, nauseate a large proportion of the British public) have been dropped and will be replaced by more appropriate music (including Barber's Adagio for Strings - the really mournful piece from Platoon, if I remember correctly).
Incidentally, I was walking round town this morning, and not only were churches open for prayers and meditation for what's happened, but the local fire service was making a collection for the relief fund. I have never *ever* before seen people queuing up to give money to a charity collection.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
It was very moving.
This tragedy has really brought the civilized world together. People have realized that if this isn't dealt with in the correct way, it will continue and get worse.

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if you guys get to see 'Last Night of the Proms' across your side of the Herring Pond, but for the first time ever, the patriotic British songs ('Rule Britannia', etc - which to be honest, nauseate a large proportion of the British public) have been dropped and will be replaced by more appropriate music (including Barber's Adagio for Strings - the really mournful piece from Platoon, if I remember correctly).
Incidentally, I was walking round town this morning, and not only were churches open for prayers and meditation for what's happened, but the local fire service was making a collection for the relief fund. I have never *ever* before seen people queuing up to give money to a charity collection.

Andrew, I agree entirely with that (including the nausia bit!). It is so strange to see every flag at half mast and flowers by our town sign. I think this whole tragedy has shaken the world VERY hard.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I don't recall when I first heard that the UK's Changing of the Guard ceremony was going to be replaced with the playing of the US National Anthem. However, I will never forget the fact that instantly my eyes filled up with tears. Same effect the second and third time I heard about it too. What a terrific and generous tribute.
Thank you Great Britain, Canada, and other countries for your thoughts, prayers, and terrific suppport during this trying time.
------------------
Scott

Marianne

Supporting Actor
One of my neighbors travels to Europe from the US on business quite frequently. He was flying back from London to Orlando on 9/11 on Virgin Atlantic (8-9 hr flight).
About 5 hrs after take-off the captain announced that they were returning to London because of a "serious incident in the US which had closed all airports". He did not go into detail. My neighbor did not know the full extent of what had happened until he landed in London and saw TVs in the terminal.
He was stranded in London until Saturday. He said that, as an American, he was very impressed with the British response to the tragedy.
------------------
Marianne
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here,
this is the War Room Home Theater Forum!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks