Thank you for Amelie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pierre Gagne, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Pierre Gagne

Pierre Gagne Agent

I just want to thank you american and canadian movie lovers who brought Amélie to a new record for a french movie at box office sales in USA. From what I've read in the weekend newspapers, it seems that Amélie is the biggest selling french movie in America since La Cage aux Folles.
    Amélie also received no less then 13 nominations at the Césars (the french equivalent of the Oscars) which will air on March 2nd. I am eager to see if Amélie will get the same recognition at the Oscars (maybe not 13, but at least a few).
    In this last year that we past filled with turmoil and chaos, Amélie was more than welcome. A breath of fresh air that reminds us not to give up hope that there is still good in this world.
    Everything is going so well to get that full loaded DVD special edition after all.
    Pierre

2. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Pierre:
    I have to agree with you in the way you feel about this movie. Until a few days ago, my favorite movie ever was The City of Lost Children by Jeunet (and Caro), and now he surpassed himself with my new favorite movie ever, Amelie.

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I'm Really hoping that we can get that French Amilie limited edition tin here in the US. If it were subtitled in english at all, I'd probably have bought it and a region free DVD player just to watch it.

4. Juan C Toro

Don:
    Ne soyez pas paresseux. Apprenez le Francais!!![​IMG]
    JC

5. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    Ouais, c'est si simple! Peut-être pas autant que l'anglais par exemple, mais quand même. [​IMG]
    Je suis d'accord en ce qui concerne Amélie, c'est vraiment un bon film et j'espère que le DVD va lui faire honneur.

6. Juan C Toro

Steeve:
    Amen to that!!!
    I hope the North American version has the same features as the French DVD release, although I doubt it knowing Miramax's record.
    All the extra material is in French, so they should at least subtitle the material (no need for a dub). The same with Jean Pierre Jeunet's commentary: it should be included and subtitled (a DVD like The Wings of Honeamise, where the commentary is in the original Japanese language with subtitles). Even if they do not include subtitles, the commentary should be kept (this is the case with The Crimson Rivers and the Criterion's 400 Blows as an example).
    Or even better, give us the original French commentary, and do another one in English, like he did for the release of The City of Lost Children.
    JC

7. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Amelie was one of the seven submissions for the Sound Editing Oscar. That means it was one of the 7 best sounding films last year, along with Lord of the Rings, The Fast and the Furious, Black Hawk Down, Monsters, Inc, Pearl Harbor, and AI.
    It is rare that a non-effects/ action film gets considered, or a foreign film, but to have a non-action, foreign film get conisdered is unheard of!
    Go Amelie!