Thank you all so much

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMA, Mar 19, 2003.

1. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but this seemed like the most appropriate forum to me. Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum and the moderators for all of the useful information I have gathered here in order to set up my humble home theater. I couldn’t have done it without you guys. I was on a tight budget of $800 and the info here allowed me to stay within that budget and get a system that sounds awesome! I upgraded my speakers, receiver, and also purchased a new universal remote. Here’s the before and after for each.

Old Receiver: Yamaha RX-V590 (2.0 Dolby Surround)
    New Receiver: Yamaha RX-V630 (6.1 DD EX/DTS ES compatible)

Old Front Speakers: Cerwin Vega RE38 Series floorstanding speaker (15" woofers on these)
    New Front Speakers: JBL N24

Old Center: None
    New Center: JBL N-Center

Old Surrounds: Cheap Yamaha bookshelf speakers that I had for years
    New Surrounds: JBL N24

Old Subwoofer: None
    New Subwoofer: Used one of the Cerwin Vega RE38’s powered by the Yamaha RX-V590 I had left over. Budget did not allow for a new sub, but it sounds great!

Old Remote: RCA RCU810
    New Remote: Home Theater Master MX-500

My home theater room is about 9’ x 18’ with slanted walls on 2 sides because it’s in an attic. My TV is a 36" Toshiba. I didn’t go with a rear center because it seemed a little much for this room, but we’ll see where I go with that in the future. I hooked everything up yesterday and I am extremely happy with the way everything sounds. I can’t even explain how much better the remote control is, but most of you already know. Can’t wait to actually sit down and watch all of my DVD’s in glorious 5.1 digital sound!

My apologies to anyone reading this that doesn’t really care about what I have, but I just wanted to thank you all and I had to tell somebody!

Here’s a breakdown of what everything cost for those looking to upgrade on a similar budget:

Yamaha RX-V630: $350 at Tweeter
    JBL NSP1 5 Speaker system: $224.50 shipped form Harman Audio through Ebay auction
    HTM MX-500 Remote: $120.50 shipped from Bluedo.com
    Total: $695

The rest of my budget was spent on speaker wire, an optical cable, a s-video cable, and a subwooofer cable.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jason, you are welcome.

Your detailed post is going to be helpful to many others considering the same upgrade for about the same budget.[​IMG]

Please make sure to stick around and help encourage others. And you still have lots of fun ahead of you positioning your speakers, level adjusting, and eventually adding an external sub. So the fun is not over...[​IMG]

3. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

Believe me I do plan to stick around for quite some time. The info on this forum is invaluable for anyone with even a slight interest in home theater.

As for the comment about the external sub, I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean a powered sub connected to the sub pre-out on my receiver for the .1 LFE channel? I don't have a powered sub per say, but the way I hooked it up it's basically a "powered sub."

I hooked up the "Subwoofer Out" on my new receiver to the CD input on my old receiver (No subwoofer input on the RX-V590). I then hooked up my Cerwin Vega speaker, which has a 15" woofer, to the old receiver and I use that receiver as an amp for the speaker. Since I am sending out the LFE channel to the old receiver all of the high frequencies are removed and only the woofer in the old speakers are really outputing sound.

The Cerwin Vega website claims that the driver in these speakers can go down to 27Hz. While it may not go that low if I were to actually measure the output, it still sounds pretty darned low to me. I realize it's no SVS, but after a bit of tweaking to the bass and volume of the old receiver, this "powered sub" is shaking my house from the attic through the second floor, and into the first floor. For those that are in my situation and are going to have some leftover equipment, especially some decent sized old stereo speakers, this may be an option at a low priced powered sub substitution until a decent powered sub can be purchased. I actually like the way this sounds so much that I don't think I'll be looking for a real powered sub anytime soon. Plus with the second speaker I have a backup speaker just in case I get a little too ambitious with the output and blow the one I'm using.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ahhhh I did not read your post closely enough. Yes, the receiver + passive sub does equal a "powered sub".

You are using a SPL meter to level adjust your speakers and adjusting the subwoofer volume to something like +8 above where you set your speakers? The "HTF Primer (link from the Basics fourm) has info on this calibration.

A laser pen is also a handy tool to see where the speakers are pointing. There is also the trick of trying to get the tweeters on all the speakers at the same height, or putting rubber door-wedges under the center speaker to get some tilt.

So you have lots of fun ahead of you, if you decide you want to play with your equipment on a cold, snowy day.