What's new

Thank god the days of listing scene access as a special feature are gone. (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Do you remember, not so long ago, that the special features listed on the back of a lot of DVDs included scene access, interactive menus, english language track:eek: etc. Let's hope those days are gone forever!

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Why do you say it is dead?
I think his point was that some studios used to list it at the top of their special features list. Scene Access and Collectable Booklet were the only special features some studios offered (except for Disney, they also offered Disc Art :D ).
Now every studio is putting out VERY nice special edition DVD's and scene access is a given and not an advertised Special Feature.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Now every studio is putting out VERY nice special edition DVD's and scene access is a given and not an advertised Special Feature.
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I just checked two random recent releases: The Sandlot (Fox) and Beverly Hills Cop: Special Collector's Edition (Paramount). Both of them list "Scene Selection" and "Interactive Menus" as Special/Bonus features.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I just checked two random recent releases: The Sandlot (Fox) and Beverly Hills Cop: Special Collector's Edition (Paramount). Both of them list "Scene Selection" and "Interactive Menus" as Special/Bonus features.
The point is not that studios no longer print it on the back of the DVD case. The point is that it is no longer the only special feature on the disc. Studios have woken up and realized that people want actual special features (documentaries, commentaries, deleted scenes....) not just the ability to access scenes directly. The technically abilities of a DVD are no longer what interest people. People want "actual" special features.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
That's nothing. Last night, I watched the Paradine Case on DVD. The box listed "Fullscreen Presentation" as a special/bonus feature.

Guy_K

Second Unit
if full screen presentations are a special feature, i'd hate to see the bareboned discs! :eek:

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Check out the back cover art for "Prime Gig," a new DVD from New Line. Animated Menus! Whoopee!
43960bh.jpg

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
LOL, yep, I still get a laugh out of Disney's first animated releases. "Full color disc art!" They even tried to make this sound like it was truly special by saying that with the disc art, children would know which side faced up when they put the disc in a player.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Now if they would just stop calling the printed insert a "Collectible Booklet."

Seriously, I remember in '97 when I first picked up a DVD and read "Interactive Menus" and "Scene Access" on the box, I wondererd what the fuck is this? A video game?

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I can just see it now....

SPECIAL FEATURES

- Pause, stop, and reverse-play modes!

- Every frame of the movie freezable! See each frame frozen one by one!

- The complete movie soundtrack, similar to how it played in theatres! BONUS: Soundtrack is actually SYNCED with the actor's voices!

- The complete end-movie credit sequence!

- The title of the film, printed ON THE DISC!!!

- A gold look on the underside of the disc!

- Audio-switching! Switch between any of our two audio tracks by going back to our static menu's and starting the whole movie again from the beginning!

- A plastic protective case keeping you from having to leave the disc just lying around!

- BONUS: The ability to eject the disc at any moment! (The most cherished feature!)

Users who are viewing this thread