Thank God It's Friday

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary->dee, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

That's not just a senitment I feel at the moment because the weekend is upon us, it's also a 1978 movie I want on DVD. This disco movie is a slice of the 70's that would evaporate within a couple of years of its release. But while the care-free times were around there were disco's to visit, drugs to do, and women to bed and this movie captures the decadent spirit of the late 1970's. Perhaps it's not as tastefully done or as important as Saturday Night Fever, but it wasn't trying to seriously capture that moment in time as much as have a good time showing it. I have this flick on an old VHS tape I purchased many years ago, but I'd like the DVD! It's perfect Friday night fodder as far as I'm concerned.

Thank God It's Friday!

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    I too have an old VHS tape of this film that I would trade in for a DVD. It's not as bad as the criticism it got. Certainly no masterpiece, but it is a definitely a time capsule, a movie that captures the rhythm and attitude of the era.

The best thing about this film may just be the dancing Columbia lady in the opening logos for the film. I always get quite a chuckle out of that.

I'm just afraid Columbia will decide to release this MAR.

Jon

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Yeah the dancing Columbia lady is a hoot! The music isn't bad either. I remember having the double LP soundtrack record before I'd even seen the movie. I also remember as a kid riding past that disco on La Cienege here in L.A. It was called Osco's. Then in the late 80's I remember seeing it abandoned right before it was torn down and replaced by a big Lohman's store. Whenever I drive past that store at the intersection of La Cienega and San Vicente I remember the Osco's disco that used to be there, where they filmed TGIF.

Yes TGIF is very much a time capsule. That's why I cherish some of these smaller movies. Perhaps they weren't blockbusters or are absolute classics, but they shed light and point a camera at things that are no longer there. Whether it's a building, a way of life or in this case, both.

4. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

I just recently got the CD,
    Love Pattie Brooks "AFTER DARK"
    and Donna on "LAST DANCE"
    Let's see ANCHOR BAY brought us "Can't Stop The Music"
    With a great transfer, come on who has the rights
    to "TGIF" ?? Turn it over to ANchor Bay !!!!!!!

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Has anyone heard anything on a possible release?[​IMG]
    I would love to have this since I don't have VHS or Laser.