Thank God for CBC's Olympic coverage!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Over the weekend I was trying to catch the Men's Downhill. I had looked online for the schedule and knew it had started. I checked all three NBC networks and found that none of them had the Olympics. One was showing Infomercials! NBC had something on regarding the upcoming NBA All-Star game (yawn) I finally made it over to CBC and was able to watch nearly the entire downhill event LIVE.

I checked the listings and found that NBC was tape delaying the event. WTF?!?! Its not like its in Nagano or Melbourne! Why can't they cover the events live on MSNBC or CNBC and provide tape delayed coverage on the main network? The whole situation is disgusting!

For those of you nearby the Canadian border, checkout CBC if you haven't already. Great coverage and not half as many "special interest" spots. I hate when the special interest spots take up 1/3 of the time and you end up ONLY seeing the US athletes and whomever else won the medal!

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Mark - I don't know if I was clear enough, but just in case, I completely agree with you! The extremely limited coverage is terrible.
    As for hockey, anyone who has been exposed to Hockey Night In Canada knows that there is only one network that does a good job with hockey - CBC!

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I don't understand NBC's philosophy as well. They pay megabucks for the games and then they tape delay everything so they can package it to their customers. Problem is their customers are very knowledgable and want to see things as they happen as sports should be seen. NBC has three channels covering it but no live coverage. Makes you shake your head.

Patrick

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Everything said here is SO true. Although CBC has been funded for years on the back of the taxpayers they actually get some things right.

NBC doesn't expect the #s I guess. The Story goes that Fox couldn't even sell all the spots for the SuperBowl ... something strange here.

Hockey Night in Canada is an institution, even if you miss the first period DON"T miss Don Cherry, he's always entertaining.

Brent

6. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

I have enjoyed having CBC for the olympics for quite a few years now. At least it seems like NBC is trying to show some hockey live on CNBC, but I don't know what they have going on on MSNBC (don't have that on my local cable). CBC just seems to cover things better, like showing more of, if not the entire event, and more events, not just the ones the north americans seem to do well in. I wish ABC/ESPN/Disney would pony up the cash to take the olympics away from NBC, we might actually get some decent coverage then.

Aaron

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

8. Shaun Lynde

Shaun Lynde Auditioning

I don't know about NBC, but CBC also shows the concerts each night, saturday night was Dave Matthews Band, tonight its the Foo Fighters.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I've gave up on NBC's Olympic coverage several years ago. CBC is the only way to go. As stated above, they show the events live, tell you exactly when they will be showing an event, keep the "up close and personal" segments to a minimum, and show a balanced number of competitors from different countries. NBC could learn alot from their colleagues to the north.

The only NBC coverage I plan on tuning into is the one day tape delayed HDTV broadcasts. While it's not live, they have a reduced number of commercials and no human interest segments (so far, at least). Last night they replayed the Slovakia - Latvia hockey game. There were several instances of play without any commentary, when the original live broadcast had cut away for commercial breaks.

I also agree that Hockey Night In Canada is the best way to watch the NHL. I've been tuning in for over 30 years.

10. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Is it possible to watch the CBC network in america without bing 10 miles from the canadian border since NBC has too many taped delayed events.

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Does anyone else here question the validity of the judging at the Olympics? I watched the pairs ice dancing last night and could not believe that the Russians took gold for that performance: while they were stylish and graceful, they blew one tandem jump completely, and had sketchy landings on both throws. They may be good, but that performance wasn't.
    The Canadian pair - even after the girl had had a collision with the Russians during warm up - were perfect. They hit every jump, all their landings were strong and the crowd loved it. They gave the gold medal performance, yet they lose to the Russians. A BIG [​IMG]

12. Ryan L B

I have noticed that NBC decided a while ago that every person would rather watch the afternoon events when they get home from work in prime time. And also when they could be doing live coverage, it is either soap operas or some kind of talk show where ever you live.

13. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Flicking through channels the other day I stumbled upon the women's hockey match between Canada and Khazakstan. CBC was showing it live, of course, while MSNBC was delaying it by about 20 minutes. What kind of messed up logic is that?

14. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    I agree, Jeff. They were simply robbed! Stupid judges, what were they doing during the performance? Taking a nap? [​IMG]

15. Chuck Frady

Chuck Frady Second Unit

Gotta give a big thumbs up to Canadian tv coverage of the Olympics.

I cannot beleive NBC's taped coverage of the games.

And what the hell is that LIVE icon NBC puts up now and again, when EVERYONE knows that the particular game has already been completed.

sheez.

16. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I pretty much agree of course, however, the bumped up contrast of the NBC image made the snowboarding look cool.
    Of course, living in Canada, I know how good CBC's coverage has been for years, but if I miss something live on CBC, I have NBC as a backup, so in a way, I personally am glad that they tape delay [​IMG]
    Plus, we also now have TSN showing Olympic coverage (they work together with CBC) so we could possibly have 5 channels showing olympics.

17. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

18. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    With all due respect, the CRTC does not allow directv dishes because of canadian content issues. We are flooded with american programming. they want to keep at least 30% canadian content (not sure of the exact percentage).

I don't think the US is exactly flooded with Canadian programming so this is not an issue for them, and CBC is probably available on most sat systems....

19. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

I wish...

I'd watch CBC in a second.. love that network, I used to get it when I was in college, on my cable system there... it qualified for "international programming". If we in the US want to get CBC, etc.. we have to gray market ExpressVu, or BellSat (think that's the name). DirecTv or Dish don't offer Canadian stations that I'm aware of.

There are address brokers in Canada who will "move" you to a province, but I don't feel like walking on that knife edge of legality. Though I may change my mind if the Summer Games are going to be tape delayed for the same extemt.

On another note, having a Tivo takes the sting out of NBC's decision. I tell it to record everything Olympic, and poof, I've got 14 hrs of events to watch as I speak. Glad I upped the storage capacity of my Tivo (grin). With the DirecTV feed, this is living! hehe... from all three channels. I do have to give the NBC networks props on showing events that are not commonly seen... for example, biathlon, and curling...

Jim

20. Ryan L B

So does that mean when NBC has that LIVE symbol, people in canada will already know what happened. How far off is NBC's coverage compared to the CBC.