TH Construction questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ray2R, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Ray2R

Ray2R Auditioning

I am new to this forum and have a few questions about the contruction of a room for HT viewing.

I am building a house and unfortunately won't have a separate HT room. The HT will be in the Family Room. My wife is concerned about the sound being heard from my woofer from concerts and movies. My questions are about the possible installation of Density Mass loaded Vinyl Barrier on the walls of the Family room. If I have the builder properly install this product on the walls of this room:

1. The room's ceiling is two stories. If we install this 1 lb product for the entire vertical span, will it put too much weight on standard wall framing? If not, will the 2 lb. product? Is ist worth upgrading to the 2 lb. product?

2. I live in Houston, Texas where outside humidity is high. Does this product create a problem in exterior walls with the traping of moisture within the walls?

3. Also if I go the extent of installing this product on the walls yet the room has windows on opposite walls, if these windows have regularly installed doubled paned windows, how much sound will be escaping though these windows.

Is there a site that best addresses these questions and those not yet thought of?

Thanks for the help.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I certainly can't answer all your questions, but here goes . . . I would use the 2lb material if you like to listen at fairly high volumes. Since the house is still in the building stages you should read up on building a "room within a room." This involves building two sets of studs for the room and the studs are staggered so they don't transmit the vibrations. You could then put the vinyl material between the sets of studs. You'll also want to make the room air-tight, so at doorways, use a solid door and some weather-stripping material found at Home Depot. Additionally, you might consider some bass traps inside the room if you have a subwoofer. I say this because loud bass waves tend to find their way through the vinyl material. Using the bass traps does not keep the bass from penetrating, but often allows you to turn down the volume on your sub thus allowing fewer penetrating waves.

You could also hang some very heavy lined drapes over the windows, but if the windows are air-tight I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

3. Ray2R

Ray2R Auditioning

How do I create a bass trap? Also, does anyone have any personal experience with the product I'm considering?

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer