1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

TH-42PWD6UY 42-IN Panny and Yamaha DVR-S100 HTIB HDTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by philip.graham, May 25, 2004.

1. philip.graham

philip.graham Auditioning

I just upgraded to HDTV with Adelphia and can't for the life of me get any signal with my yamaha HTIB and Panny Plasma screen.

I guess the most simple question is ..can I get HDTV using this set up?

Thanks!

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Hmm. I'm not too sure I understand.

[​IMG]

That's the back of your DVX-S100, right? There is no component video input, so it's not possible to run the HDTV output from the Adelphia box to the Yamaha.

You should be running component cabling from your Adelphia box directly to the component inputs to the back of the plasma.

For instance, here is my TH-42PWD6UY (click on the pictures for bigger, more clear images):

[​IMG]

I have their DVI card in the leftmost slot. That's what I'm using for HDTV since DVI gives you the best picture with this unit. Excellent investment for $145 or so, if your HDTV box outputs DVI.

However, if you look towards the right, you'll see the Red/Blue/Green component cabling. That's what you can use with your Adelphia box.

Here's a closeup of the component cable area:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the component inputs on your plasma are built for business, so they're the BNC variety instead of RCA. You'll either need RCA to BNC cabling, or some RCA to BNC adapters (they're just over $1 each). Here's a closeup of what the adapter looks like:

[​IMG]

3. philip.graham

Gabriel, that is an absolutely excellent reply. You are right on all counts. To summarize: I can either connect the panny and the yamaha with component cables or with a DVI.

Here are two follow up questions:
    1. With option 1, I use the component cable from the Adelphia box to the pannny. Are there any other video cables that I need?

2. Yes the adelphia Box does have a DVI output, but I don't have the DVI card. Where can I get a good price for it and also is the only video cable...from the adelphia box to the Panny? Don't i need to get the video to my DVR-s100.

Thank you very very much Gabriel, this is a huge help.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

1. If you do this, then you'd need to connect your Yamaha to your Panny via S-video or composite for DVD movies. You'll have to experiment to see which one you like better (I'm guessing s-video).

2. I'd suggest first calling Adelphia to see if the DVI output is enabled. Many still are not yet. If it is enabled, you can get the DVI board from any number of places.

I got mine from CDW. They were out of stock when I ordered, but it still came in about a week.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?edc=525480

That was the cheapest place back when I purchased it. Here are another couple places to check (though I haven't purchased from them before):

http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?...84&CMP=KA18442

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=296189

The DVI board comes with a 3 meter DVI cable too, so that saves you from having to buy one.

If you go this route, you can use the component cables for connecting your Yamaha DVD output to the Panny.

5. philip.graham

Gabriel,
    Thanks so much again. I'm loving this advice...as it is very hard to get from anyone else.

So it looks like I'm going with the DVI route. The Adelphia box DVI output is enabled.

So just to make this clear, the DVI cable goes from the Adelphia box to the panny directly...then component (that is the three color cord) goes from the panny to the yamaha. Is that right...because I sometimes get confused with composite and component.

P

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You are correct.

It's important to note that component cabling is normally Red/Green/Blue. The Yellow/Red/White one is not component cabling, and not always 75ohm.

Also, be sure that your component cabling has RCA connectors on one side, and BNC (male) on the other. That's the ideal solution. You can use adaptors too (like I do), if you do not have that kind of component cabling.

RCA to BNC connectors, 79 cents each

[​IMG]

7. philip.graham

Gabriel,

Do you have a suggestion for an inexpensive place to buy component cabling? I need at least 15 feet worth [​IMG]

8. philip.graham

Damn..you were right. Adelphia didn't activate the DVI output yet.

So my option is to

1. Connect my Yamaha to my Panny via S-video or composite for DVD movies. You'll have to experiment to see which one you like better (I'm guessing s-video).

So the Svideo goes from the yamaha to the panny. but what goes from the adelphia to the yamaha and does anything need to go from the panny back to the yamaha?

9. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

For the component cabling, I have 3 suggestions:

1. Contact Vince Maskeeper, one of the mods in this forum. He makes high quality custom cabling and very reasonable prices. Uses Belden/Canare, which is great stuff. See if he's still building cable, and get a quote (he may not be, he builds in batches, to save people more money).

2. Grab it from BetterCables. They're one of the forum sponsors. I'm using their Silver Serpent component cabling for my 26' run in my home theater room. Well built stuff, and great customer service.

3. Get it from Blue Jean Cable. They're inexpensive compared to most beldin/canare using cable builders, but do good work too.

If you do any of those, be sure to ask for RCA to BNC.

If you want to simply get cheaper cabling, there's pccables and pacificable. Those are RCA to RCA only though, I believe.

I actually have a 3rd option for you instead of resorting to s-video or composite. This is probably a better way.

Use a VGA to 3-RCA cable.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/h...s.html#hd15rgb

[​IMG]

The DB15 end goes in the Panasonic, the 3-RCA end goes in the Yamaha (or the Adelphia, your choice).

This will give you higher quality than S-Video or Composite.

On your Panny, you'll simply have to switch that input signal from RGB to YPbPr.

10. philip.graham

Gabriel,

Man you are making me a HTF believer. I'm going to order the last suggested cable right away.

But of course I have a follow up question:

With the new HDTV cable box, Adelphia gave me a five cable cord. The colors are two reds, blue, green and silver. What is this and should I use this if I can?

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Hmm. Do you have a picture of the back of your HDTV box?

That cable cord, is it RCA to RCA?

It may just be a component cable with an analog stereo audio cable attached to it.

12. philip.graham

Gabriel, I don't have a server to host a picture to. The cord is I think RCA to RCA with five cables all labeled video and as I said, two red, one white, blue, and siver.

13. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Unfortunately, I couldn't really see the connectors on the back of your adelphia box in the picture. [​IMG]

Are the connectors on the back of the adelphia box labeled?

Is there R G B H V?

14. philip.graham

You're going to have to fix this url to make it work:

w w w . adelphiasocal.com/hdtv/hdtv_images/dct6200_back.jpg

This is a picture of a similar unit, except that mine has firewire and DVI inputs, both turned off.

Let me know if you can't make out the colors or labels.

Here is what the website says about it:

CONVENIENCE FEATURES
    • One-box solution for High-Definition television and digital cable
    • YPbPr component and S-video output
    • Three USB connectors (one on front panel)1
    • Smart Card interface connector (enables e-commerce)1
    • 10/100Base-T Ethernet port (RJ-45 connector)1
    • Full feature access from front panel
    • Front and rear panel L/R audio and video inputs
    • Universal remote (DRC450)

VERSATILITY FEATURES
    • Advanced convergence platform for video, audio and high-speed data services2
    • Delivers digital audio through either optical or coaxial connectivity
    • Enables high-definition cable programming Pay-Per-View, Video-On-Demand, hundreds of digital cable channels, digital music and much more
    • LED display with IR receiver for remote or/and keyboard
    • S-Video output
    • RF and Baseband Output (Video, L/R Audio) Ports
    • IEEE1394 output
    • DVI-D video output

PERFORMANCE FEATURES
    • Integrated High-Definition (HD) decoder with YPBPR component output
    • MPEG-2 digital video processor
    • Built-in DOCSIS 1.0/1.1-compatible cable modem for high-speed interactivity2
    • Full array of audio, video and data interfaces
    • ITU standard 64/256 QAM/FEC/enhanced adaptive equalizer
    • Two 54 - 860 MHz tuners
    • PCM, Dolby Digital® (AC-3), Dolby Pro Logic® II, Digital audio capability
    • DVI-D and dual 1394(DTV) digital connectors
    • Built-in MPEG analog encoder
    • Optical and coaxial SPDIF connectors

Thanks.

PS. I ordered the recommended VGA to 3-RCA cable and it should be here early next week.

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Ah, ok. That 5-RCA cable is merely a component cable with a stereo audio cable attached. You can use that cable, you just need to use those RCA to BNC converters shown above. With that, and the VGA to 3-RCA cable you ordered, you should be all set.

16. philip.graham

Gabriel, this is getting to be an involved thread. I like it.

I can't use the 5 RCA cable because it is woefully too short.

Once I have the VGA to 3 RCA cord going from the Adelphia Cable box, what do I need to buy now that goes from back from the panny to my yamaha. Can I use my normal red, white and yellow cable that I have used all along for my non HD signal?

17. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

VIDEO:

Adelphia to Panny: 3-RCA to VGA cable
    Yammy to Panny: 3-RCA to 3-BNC OR 3-RCA to 3-RCA plus 3 RCA/BNC converters

AUDIO:

Adelphia to Yammy: 1 SPDIF cable
    Adelphia to Yammy (might not be necessary): 2-RCA to 2-RCA cables (analog stereo interconnects, one red, one white).

18. philip.graham

Gabriel, I had to travel for a few days, but returned with my cables sitting at my door. I set them up without too much trouble.

I only get five HDTV channels through Adelphia - but they are pretty amazing. I love them.

One more question, of course. Four channels are in 4:3 format - with PBS in 16:9. Is there a way on the panny to fix this, or is zooming just going to screw up the picture?

- I think I figured it out - only HD signals are being shown in 16:9.

Thanks Gabriel - the set is now seeing its full potential.