Text and other sharp edges showing a ghost image on HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MattDon, May 11, 2004.

1. MattDon

MattDon Auditioning

Hi,

Text and other sharp edges have a faint ghost image (faint repetitive outlines) showing up beside beside them. At first I thought the RGB guns were out of alignment. I tried Magic focus and when that didn't work I manually calibrated it. But alas the problem is still there! Anyone know what could be the cause of this?

It is still under warranty so I can call and get someone to check it out, but I wanted to check with the people who know their stuff... you guys [​IMG]

BTW - Its a Hitachi 52" projection HDTV and I see the problem with all my inputs (dish, Xbox w/ component hook-ups, and DVD). It is just more noticeable with the component hook-ups.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The edge-enhancement artifacts you are seeing might also be due to poorly authored DVDs as well as the inadequacies of standard broadcast television.

As for the Hitachi itself, have you lowered the so-called "sharpness" setting to a reasonable level? Can you disable the SVM on the Hitachi? Use a calibration disc to work on these adjustments.

Finally, are you receiving HD material, either via the DISH system or via OTA?

3. MattDon

MattDon Auditioning

Thanks for you quick response Jack. I too thought it might be due to bad quality from the source, but it is evident from my sources using different inputs ( all DVDs, dish all channels, and Xbox). The Xbox is the only one using 480p, and the problem is much more evident at that resolution.
    I tried adjusting all the video setting to see if they were the cause, but the same underlying problem remains. This is why I thought it was an alignment issue. After doing all the focus settings to death the problem is still there which makes me think there is something else to blame... maybe a faulty bulb or something? I don't know enough to make an educated guess.
    I'm not sure what the SVM is?
    Where can I get a calibration disc?
    You can see a rough representation of my problem here:

spymac.com/gallery/show_photo.php?picid=128427&size=big

I can't add HTML links yet, so just add the acronym for WorldWideWeb to the beginning of the link.

4. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

I have looked at your example images and wanted to say that I have exactly the same problem as well with my new Tosh 65hx83. I was assuming that it is a mechanical focus problem and have been waiting for the 100+ viewing hours to pass before calling the local video re-fit shop to come in and do warranty service to fix. We don't have anyone in Winnipeg that does ISF calibration anymore. Well there is one place but I don't trust them or their businees practices. The place that used to do it that I do trust no longer does calibrations for RPTV's. They were honest in stating that they only have so many resources to devote to calibration and they want to focus on newer technologies. [​IMG]

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I couldn't get the pic to come up, but if this is a sort of faint grayish shadow line just to the right of high contrast divisions in the picture it's a common effect on most all rptvs or direct view sets I've seen in the last few years. Turning off SVM and reducing sharpness can reduce it, and it's usually less prominent the higher the quality of the incoming signal. It looks very much like excessive edge enhancement on a dvd, but shows up on non-dvd sources.

Now that you've noticed it, I'd suggest you go out looking at sets in the stores again--chances are that like me you'll see it on virtually every display set you see and it will still be there after turning down the sharpness.

I didn't notice it at all on my set until I read a thread similar to this over at the Spot. then it drove me crazy for a few weeks until I managed to get it tamed a bit. It's still there but I quit concentrating on it and don't notice it any more.

6. MattDon

MattDon Auditioning

I'll definately get someone down to check it out in case there is something they can tune up.

I didn't notice this until I had my Xbox running at 480p, but now I see it in everything and it's getting under my skin [​IMG].

What does SVM stand for? I didn't see any option for that in the setup menu.

Thanks again,
    Matt

7. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

Good plan Matt. SVM stands for Scan Velocity Modulation. On my TV the SVM is under the picture menu, 2nd page or screen. It says SVM and gives the choice of high, low or off. I have mine set to off.

Just a note to Steve. The image is not a slight greyish shadow to the right of the image. It is more like a full ghosted image just underneath and to the right top of the original image. It is much more than faint. I have calibrated using DVE and SVM is turned off, sharpness is down as well. I have only done 9pt convergence not 56. wouldn't mind trying 56pt but do not know how at this point.

Thanks,

J.