Texas Rangers double image....transfer problem or film problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle McKnight, May 25, 2002.

1. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

In this scene, you can see a double image of the house in the background. I assume that this was an error that the director didn't catch when filming, with the bright house reflecting off the camera lense making a ghost image appear in front of the actors. Is this correct, or was this ghosting caused by the transfer? I'm really clueless when it comes to this stuff. Ron, if you read this, did you view this movie? I'd like to read your opinion on it.
    [​IMG]

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

My guess is it is in the film
    Similar things was in Saving private Ryan, fires especially made streaks that appeared before other object, but in that case it is more obvious because the streaks are continous, another similar thing to that are other light sources especially during night scenes, in which the light streaks. But the one example that is quite like this, is Full metal jacket. During the ending battle, there are quite a few examples of fires which reflect and then are seen above actors in the foreground, without streaks appearing as well. Because of the similarities with Saving private Ryan, I automatically assumed that was some kind of flare caused by the camera lense in FMJ, and that is also what I would think this is, although it was kind of strange to see it appear so sharply.
    This is just speculation and free associaton by a total amateur by the way (although that probably is painfully obvious [​IMG] )

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I should also state that it's not just a frame or two, but the 'double image' starts when the house is about in the middle of Dylan's body, until it gets a tad past his shoulder. When you watch the movie full screen, it's very easily noticable.