What's new

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation - Canadian DVD (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
During a recent bargain sale on Playcentric, I bought Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. Although I hadn't realized that a Canada-only DVD existed, the Canadian Lion's Gate disc arrived (as opposed to the U.S. disc released by Columbia). Upon further inspection last night, the disc appears to contain the original, uncut version of the film. While the U.S. only got a cut release (running at ~84 min.), the film was originally longer. I've not had a chance to inspect the disc in great detail, but I can confirm a few things that indicate that the Candian disc is the longer cut:
1. The disc runs at ~93 minutes (the U.S. version runs at 84 min., and IMDb claims that the original cut ran 95 min.)
2. The film opens with a "1994" title card, as opposed to the "1996" date given on the U.S. release
3. Early on in the film, Jenny (Zellweger) gets harrassed by her father as described on IMDb.
Anyway, if this was common knowledge already, please ignore. I had previously thought that the Japanese LD was the only way to (officially) see the original cut. It should be noted that the Canadian DVD is open matte, but this is of less importance to me than owning the original cut on DVD, given that it's the only way for me to do so.
edited to add: the U.S. DVD appears to have a running time of ~95, as well. Any light that can be shed on what version of the film is on that disc would be of help; if the Columbia DVD actually contains an anamorphic widescreen transfer of the original cut, I'll be happy to ditch my Lion's Gate disc.
a further edit: the DVD Maniacs review says the running time of the U.S. Columbia disc is 88 min. and that it contains the edited 1997 version. Hmmm...
DJ

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I just bought the US release. It has an anamorphic widescreen transfer, (full-frame on the flipside, but who cares...) and the trailer.

The opening reads 1996, and there's no scene with Jenny's father.

I was wondering about this other DVD and if it had those scenes, I heard the quality isn't too good, but that doesn't matter to me, as long as I can see those scenes.

I also read that the music is different in some scenes.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I confirmed further that the Canadian DVD contains the original cut, as it has a misspelling of Matthew McConaughey's name in the end credits (there are 2 n's). Anyway, in order to get the Canadian disc: Playcentric has it for $7.99 (where I got mine, even though it claims it's the Columbia release)..

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks