texas chainsaw massacre r1 vs r4

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonathanSimpson, Jan 17, 2002.

1. JonathanSimpson

JonathanSimpson Stunt Coordinator

has anybody done a personal comparison of the two version's i understand that the r4 has (excuse the pun) quite a meaty documentary 71 minutes i believe. i obviously have the pioneer special edition r1 and was wondering if to have the ultimate edition of chainsaw is to have both version's, it is specifically the documentary that i am interested in as the comparison at michaeld states the film print is awful so i can enjoy the r1 print of the picture and soundmixes but to see the documentary r4 is it worth another purchase just for the 71 minute piece.
    jonathan

2. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan,
    Seen as your're in R2 land heres a link to a British release of a documentray on Texas Chainsaw called 'Texas Chainsaw:The Shocking Truth'. From the running time I'm assuming its the same documentary. I haven't seen it myself so I can't comment on the quality. Hope this helps!
    Richard

3. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

For the R4 version, both the film, the extras and the doco are pirated from the Pioneer R1 and the UK R2 DVD's respectively. Buying the R1 and R4 discs might comprise some sort of 'ultimate' edition for some, but only one of the two discs will actually be legal. Force Video in Melbourne are the culprits here, bless their greedy hearts.

'The AV Channel', a Melbourne-based company run jointly by staff from Madman Video and Siren Entertainment, also has Roeg's WALKABOUT out here with the same commentary track off the Criterion DVD, but I sincerely doubt that it was officially licensed.

4. JonathanSimpson

anyone else have an opinion to my initial post?

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

6. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I won't belabour the point, but the MichaelDVD review link that compaes the various DVD releases is pretty funny. The reviewer quotes the fact that the film was mastered from a High-Def source, and then indicates that he has 'contacted Force video' to get an explanation for the various artifacts he sees in their transfer.

The Hi-Def transfer was done by Don May Jr. for the Elite Entertainment LD a number of years ago. A slightly inferior version of this transfer was used for the Pioneer Region 1 DVD (inferior as it lacked various frame repairs and the like - see the review at The Digital Bits for more on this). Force Video (not a particularly quality-conscious company if you're familiar with their output) have taken the NTSC Region 1 DVD and converted it to PAL. I'm not surprised that Force aren't keen to discuss the ins and outs of their transfer, when they don't even own the rights to it, or the additional supplemental material that they've grabbed for their release.

Ultimately, I doubt that any of the original rights owners will take action over this, and I doubt that many people here in Oz will know or care. When Diamond Video in the States can make a living illegally rehashing video transfers from companies like EC Entertainment, I doubt that sleazy pirate operations like Force Video have much to worry about.

7. JonathanSimpson

guys the posts that you have made are not really what i am looking for i am looking for personal opinions on the documentary only before i purchase, i have read most of the comparisons and so forth, really wanted to know what everyone (and there surely must be some) on the htf thought of it.

jonathan

8. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

well, the one thing that really bothers me about the R1 transfer is some weird artifacting in the darker scenes. It's like there's a scrolling black bar slowly scanning the screen. Looks more like a video anomaly than anything from the original film source.

9. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

The documentary is exellent,well worth getting the R4 disc for that alone.I like how it goes into detail on the sequels with behind the scenes footage and interviews.And its a much better docu than A Family Portrait...