What's new

Tex Avery's Droopy-Complete Theatrical Collection coming 5-15-07 (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Directed by Tex Avery

Dumb-Hounded (1943)
The Shooting Of Dan McGoo (1945)
Wild And Woolfy (1945)
Northwest Hounded Police (1946)
Señor Droopy (1949)
Wags To Riches (1949)
Out-Foxed (1949)
The Chump Champ (1950)
Daredevil Droopy (1951)
Droopy's Good Deed (1951)
Droopy's "Double Trouble" (1951)

Directed by Dick Lundy
Caballero Droopy (1952)

Directed by Tex Avery

The Three Little Pups (1953)
Drag-A-Long Droopy (1954)
Homesteader Droopy (1954)
Dixieland Droopy (1954)

Deputy Droopy (1955, directed by Avery and Michael Lah)
Millionaire Droopy (1956, remake of Wags to Riches, supervised by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera)

Directed by Michael Lah

Grin And Share It (1957)
Blackboard Jumble (1957)
One Droopy Knight (1957)
Sheep Wrecked (1958)
Mutts About Racing (1958)
Droopy Leprechaun (1958)

24 titles, covering the complete theatrical run of Droopy, the question is will the non Avery’s' be included, I don’t see them putting out a set with the remaining 8, so I think they will be included, that leaves the following question if this sales well enough, what are the possibilities of getting a Tex Avery at MGM set for the rest of his shorts which is like 50 more titles, only the MGM ones, the WB ones need to stay where they belong on the LT GC sets. Now if we could get the next set of Tom and Jerry Vol 3.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jerry Beck has dropped a pretty strong hint that if the Droopy set sells well, Warner will consider doing a complete MGM Tex Avery set in the near future. For the sake of completeness, it would likely also include all of Avery's Droopy cartoons. I would gladly double dip on those cartoons if it helps get the rest of them out in R1.

Regards,

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I hope they include the rest of Droopy. No sense in leaving off eight shorts.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I read that over at the GAC forum as well, and I would end up double dipping for that as well, the only problem that I have, is I truly love the MGM cartoons, and it just doesn’t seem to be getting the same treatment as the LT sets are, I know that they are going to blow us away with a cronicoligical Popeye set at 2 a year. And then we have a yearly LT set to look forward to. So is there ever going to be a T&J Vol 3, or 4? Will it only include the Hanna /Barbara shorts? If we continue when are the Gene Deitch's or Chuck Jones shorts going to be included? If that happens then the problem becomes what happens to Characters that are not T&J or Avery cartoons, don’t know about you but I always liked Barney Bear! So does that mean he is left out in the cold?

And while there have been some problems with the T&J set, at least WB is not going in and removing simple little things, I can guarantee that Popeye, will have his pipe, I just wish that Disney, would be willing to fix or better yet un-fix what they are removing, in the name of political correctness.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Warner needs to put out a series of MGM Cartoons sets that will include the miscellaneous shorts made by MGM. I especially want Screwy Squirrel on DVD, call me crazy.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It's not crazy to want Screwball Squirrel. He was probably the looniest cartoon character of all time. Compared to him, Daffy Duck was the picture of mental health.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

I know that Tex Avery gets all the credit (as did Hanna/Barbera for Tom & Jerry), but I really wonder how much involvement the man really had.

Consider.

-The stories for the shorts were written by Heck Allen or Rich Hogan or somebody other than Tex.

-The animation was done by Michael Lah or Grant Simmons or somebody other than Tex.

-The shorts were produced by Fred Quimby. Tex Avery directed these cartoons --- and what of that? What does a director really do for a cartoon? Yell "cut" or give the cue to the voice talents?

Personally, I think the director is the most overrated part of the crew, whether for an animated feature or an actual film. Granted, he gives the direction of how the pace of the story should go, but isn't that really the extent of it?

I'm not knocking Tex Avery. I LOVE the shorts as much as ANYBODY, but let us not think he is the brainchild behind the genius of the shorts. Personally, what makes these shorts so special, to me, are the stories. The stories are so deliciously twisted and somehow moral, and I have to give credit to the storywriters.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Wow. I don't think you understand how these animated shorts were made. They were collaborative efforts between a lot of creative and super-talented people, but Tex was the driving creative force, and the sensibility behind them is primarily his. Check out any of the shorts he made later in his career for Walter Lantz with a different crew of animators and collaborators, and they are just as unmistakably his work as any of the MGM stuff.

Regards,

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
best case I can make for the importance of a director is compare a Tex Avery cartoon to a Chuck Jones directed one.

Nuff Said!
:)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
If that's the real cover and if it's correct, then it's all 24 Droopies -- so "Tex Avery's Droopy" is a designation along the lines of "Walt Disney's Donald Duck" -- i.e., they're not all Avery cartoons, but Droopy is Avery's creation (or the creation of guys working under Avery at the time).

Whatever, I'm glad it's all 24. And the CinemaScope ones better be letterboxed.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad this has all of the Droopy cartoons. It would have been odd to just include the Avery cartoons since only a handful were made by others.

If I recall, Fred Quimby was a theatrical promotions head who was promoted to producer for the cartoon department. I'm not sure how big his involvement was, but he had no real animation background. Leon Schlesinger was pretty much the same... just making sure cartoons stayed on-budget, on-schedule, and had appropriate content for production code guidelines. Not exactly like the Fleischers and Walt Disney, who were actually animators before producers.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
What sucked was that Fred Quimby was the scumbag who accepted the Oscars. Everytime Tom & Jerry won an Oscar, it wasn't William Hanna or Joseph Barbera who got to accept, it wasn't even the animators...it was the freakin' producer, who really had nothing to do with it!

Talk about travesty. Why was Quimby even allowed to accept is beyond me (must be politics - keep Quimby happy, let him have the respect, and you can continue to have a living making cartoons for MGM).

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
What also boggles my mind was that none of Tex Avery's brilliant shorts ever won an Oscar (I'm sure some were nominated, although not the obvious ones like Magical Maestro, One Cab's Family or Little Johnny Jet).

As much as I love Tom & Jerry for its beautiful attention to detail in their scenery backgrounds and Bugs Bunny for its wise-guy humor, Tex Avery shorts beat them all in sheer originality of material! Even Droopy has its moments of brilliance (although Droopy is probably the weakest of the Tex Avery MGM shorts) and was never recognized by the Academy.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
It is ALWAYS the producer who collects the award when it is an overrall prize for the title and not a specific contribution - that's why the producer collects the award for best film - he may take a few friends with him up to the podium and most major directors get a producer credit nowadays of course, but the producer is the nominal figurehead and so that is the person to whom the award is given.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That's great news that we're going to get ALL of the Droopy cartoons and not just the Avery's.

As for Avery's credit for this cartoons, I couldn't disagree more strongly. I don't have one ounce of doubt that the genius behind these cartoons belongs almost entirely to Avery. Sure, the animators and the writers deserve huge props, but Avery was the genesis behind most of them. I have read several books on the man, and they are highly informative. He was essentially fired from WB, because he wanted more outlandish animation which immediately started happening upon his arrival at MGM. Coincidence? - I think not!! He was known to openly participate in gag writing sessions and was very specific about the the timing of the gags. After all, if Avery was just a figurehead, why do the cartoons that feature his name stand head and shoulders above all of the other MGM animation (including T&J!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks