What's new

Tex Avery Box Set!?! (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I'm looking at the picture on the amazon website linked out at the top of this thread. If that's not the actual box art (the one with Droopy, the wolf and the dame), then I apologize for any misguided notions. If it IS the box art, I just think it looks altogether too patched together and, thus, quite week from a design point of view (unfortunately, that's my career of choice, so I'm probably just being anal). I suspect it's NOT the actual box since I can't even see a DVD logo or any other wording beside the words "Tex" and "Avery" on the picture. Packaging like that seems to be common among bootleggers who hope you might be satisfied with any kind of packaging at all since you're getting such a "good deal."

That said, I'll throw in my quarter with those who know the box is legit. Perhaps I'm looking at a simple illustration thrown together for the website? If so, can anyone link out to the real deal?

By the by, I'd say over half my DVDs come from areas besides the USA, so I'm not only aware that other countries release DVDs, I'm grateful!! Thank GOD for region free players! ;)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I don't think it looks "patched together" at all. It's a very nice, professional simple design. Much better than if it had a bunch of critics' blurbs pasted all over it and a big splotch with the bulleted list of bonus features.

Perhaps you're not aware that it's not required by law to smack the DVD logo on the front of everything. Take a gander at a Criterion cover sometime. Or do you think their covers are also "week"?

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Okay, okay. I stand corrected. Looks like the real deal. Thanks for the links.

Nevertheless, I still think the design is weak. Tex Avery's cartoons are so joyous, so furiously inventive and often so over the top insane, that I guess I'd hoped for something a little more snappy in honor of the man and less...subtle. Still, agreed, it is a clean, simple design.

And the bit about the DVD logo not being present was more a slip of the mind than anything. Many disc packages don't include it, and i know this, so I guess I must stand chastized for my fading memory on that one. I guess you're right, Martin: I did half expect the thing to be plastered with blurbs and stickers since it's something I've come to dread everytime I walk into my local DVD shops and peruse the new releases. Quite frankly, good design or no, it is nice to see something this clean and simple, even if it's not to my taste.

Criterions? Well, I've seen very few sleeves I don't like, but they nearly always look like something more than just two or three photos of cast members against a flat color background, and may, in fact, represent an interesting graphical/thematic approach to the film contained therein. I thought Throne of Blood, to cite just one example, was a striking artistic interpretation, as was the photo-layered technique used to "paint" the film's basic theme on the sleeve for Hitchcock's Rebecca.

Again, this is all just subjective opinion, of course, so no one's really wrong...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Ted, I dont have any further information other than - it will be coming and it will be worth the wait! Sooner than later. The restoration process has begun and I'd assume that production will be underway once WB gets through the first T&J set later this year, which I'd also assume would come soon after the Flintstones / Jetsons collections. I would say that we will almost for sure see this released before the end of 2004 and at the very least, have an official statement from WB concerning it's status. I would really hold out for the official R1 sets, there's no point jumping the gun with these unrestored prints when something so much better is in the works...

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
But, will they be uncensored? I'm holding out hope that they'll be uncensored, because if Dizznee can release their beloved Mickey 'toons uncensored, then, dammit, WB can release the Tex 'toons uncensored. Hopefully they will.

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator

Sold the Avery LD set for $200 and there are loads of Tom & Jerry out in Japan on perfectly legal packages at a very reasonable (for Japan) price.

BTW, I’m a graphic designer myself and really like the packaging.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, amazon.fr does not list this as "out of stock" it lists it as available to ship in 24 hours. I just ordered it.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Nice to know there are legit releases of the Tom & Jerry cartoons, although the prices I saw on ebay seemed ridiculously low for imported product, particularly that from Japan, so I have to assume the ones I saw might be illegitimate, as a lot of Japanese stuff seems to be macrovision free and, I assume, easily copied. Is it safe to assume the Japanese DVD's are expensive? Are they complete? Chronological? Nice transfers?

Also, the price for the French DVD set works out to around $122 Canadian, which is within my budget, but I think I'd have a hard time justifying it to my bank account, conscience, girlfriend, etc...(not neccessarily in that order). Guess I'll just fire up the lasers for now ($200 on ebay, eh?) and try to sell it before the region 1 set shows up. Hopefully the price here to be in line with the Looney Tunes 4-disc set, which was about $55 CDN. If it's a little higher due to Avery's lower profile among folks who don't care much for animation outside of entertaining the kids, that's OK.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Oops - I didn't even pause to look and see which set. I amended my order, but my point was someone said it was "out of stock". It is not. And knowing amazon.fr as I do they'll try to get it here before Christmas. That said, the four disc set does have all the cartoons on the five disc set, yes? The fifth disc is the two documentaries if I remember correctly.

Considering one enterprising seller on eBay has Buy it Now prices for close to two hundred bucks for the four-disc, and two twenty for the five-disc, I'd say getting it for half that price via amazon is a better way to go.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why you guys would be looking for Asian import sets of T&J when an uncut R1 collection will be released this year..?

Maybe I'm in the minority when it comes to spending unnecessary money on DVD's that you'll eventually be double-dipping on.

Also, as for the Avery sets being edited... what would be the logic in that? WB knows it's demographic for these cartoons, they are not marketable to children and their soccer moms, they will undoubtedly be uncensored and complete. These are being produced for the animation fans, that's who will purchase these sets. With Jerry Beck on board and the recent context of the Looney Tunes collection, I can already guarantee that WB would not dare release edited prints of any of these shorts.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I can't justify the price of the French Tex Avery set, let alone overpriced Japanese imports of T&J stuff that will be out here in the future. Since it's American product, I can't really see anyone but the Americans giving any of it the treatment it so richly deserves.

My curiosity about the Japanese T&J sets is mainly to see how they compare to the LD sets from years ago. I can't see forking over for them just to satisfy a craving, that's for certain.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Oops - I didn't even pause to look and see which set. I amended my order, but my point was someone said it was "out of stock". It is not. And knowing amazon.fr as I do they'll try to get it here before Christmas. That said, the four disc set does have all the cartoons on the five disc set, yes? The fifth disc is the two documentaries if I remember correctly.
But the LE is "out of stock" and I'm very annoyed considering I ordered it on the 1st December, and others ordering it on the day of release have been sent their copies. :angry:

Also, considering it's a new release, it's already taken 6 days to restock, an unusual occurance. I wouldn't be surprised if the LE 5 disc set doesn't come back in stock. I'm giving it 2 more days and then cancelling - it's unlikely I'll get it for Christmas now.

I suppose I will end up waiting for the R1 set. But not through choice.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Well, again I'm telling you I ordered it last night and it was NOT listed as "out of stock" and the e-mail confirmation listed a delivery date of between 12/23 and 12/27 via chronopost (express) shipping.

Have you, for example, dropped them a line to find out what's happening. The listing page says shippable within six or seven days. And I'm talking about the LE.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can you guarantee they don't release a few 'best of' discs in R1 that leave off a few of the more controversial shorts?

And can I get that guarantee in writing?
Um... yes.

You can get it in typing.

Hence, the referance... box-set... complete collection.

Coming soon.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, again I'm telling you I ordered it last night and it was NOT listed as "out of stock" and the e-mail confirmation listed a delivery date of between 12/23 and 12/27 via chronopost (express) shipping.
It's out of stock. When it's in stock it says ships with 24 hours, not 6 or 7 days. It's been listed as shipping in 4-6 days since the release date. The site has never shown shipping within 24 hours (like the normal set does).

Being as this is a new release, and Amazon.fr have already sent copies out, it seems strange it would take over a week to restock. I don't think Amazon.fr will get any restocks.

RichSL

Agent
Had mine on order with Amazon.fr since the end of November and was still being listed as 5-6 days...i also had pre-ordered the French LE of Dogville however come the actual release date it was being shown as a 12-14 day availability.

Anyway..my patience ran out yesterday and i cancelled my orders with Amazon.fr and placed new orders with FNAC.
Both were shipped out today!!

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Rich: Thanks for the FNAC lead - I ordered the LE Avery today and it's on its way via chronopost, hence I should have it by Monday. Hoo and ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks