What's new

Teufel M7000/M8000 subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
Any impressions on this subwoofer, I'm particularly interested in any views on the special port/vent used by this design?
Espen

JohanK

Second Unit
Do you have a link? Personally, I've never heard of it.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Those are Subwoofers from a German manufacture placed in Berlin. And they are good, very good.
Go to www.teufel.de
[Edited last by Oliver on July 29, 2001 at 01:49 AM]

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
Teufels english homepages is at Link Removed
Teufel M7000 is described on this page: Link Removed
I'm still interested in any views on this unit as I consider to pick up up some on my trip to Berlin next month...
Espen

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Espen:
Are you going to the IFA? In case, I am going to see what the future will bring.
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Is there anything a little more technical on it?
I mean, it's got a 12" driver, and it's THX...but it's hard to tell much else from the webpage I saw.
TV

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
We should meet than to do some small talk togheter. We will visit Sunday 26 and Monday 27. Would be the first time I meet someone from this Forum at a show.
------------------

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
You can download the users manual (in german) at the german website http://www.teufel.de
There really isnt much to say; its a THX approved passive subwoofer with a 12 inch driver, and it delivers the required 110 dB / 1 meter with one unit only. It's a vented/ported design with a special slot used for the port. I have never seen this design before so I would like to hear from someone who actually has one - if possible.
In any case I plan to visit the Teufel factory outlet / showroom in Berlin for a closer look and perhaps a purchase of a couple of units.
Unlike many users I prefer passive subwoofers with outboard amplifiers; but this is not as common to find anymore. Teufel M7000 offers this as well as a impressive performance (judging by the reviews). (Teufel also offers the M7000 with built in amplification: its called M8000.)
At present I use two Boston Acoustics 595x subwoofers. While I plan to use all four in a future listening room; at present the two Teufel units will (at least in theory) offer considerably more SPL output for the same enclosure volume and the same amplifier power.
Espen

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
Oliver,
We can meet on sunday 26th. While I'll return home in the evening I'll be at the show all day. We can perhaps meet for a lunch. I'll give you my GSM celluar number if you contact my by e-mail. You can perhaps do the same?
Espen

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>There really isnt much to say; its a THX approved passive subwoofer with a 12 inch driver, and it delivers the required 110 dB / 1 meter with one unit only.

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Here it goes again. Spec do say nothing, but realy nothing about sound quality. I am like espen, using passiv Sub's beeing able to chose the amplification that I need. Also because most of the activ subs have an electronic I wouldn't take even for free. Maybe this is because of 10 years diy speakers and elektronic, but it is like this.
As far as I can tell about Teufel, the speakers they use to build there subs are first choice, like all of their high end products. They have been given a lot of awards by the press and still hold awards in Homecinema reproduction as far as Germany is concerned. But there speakers do fit better for Homecinema than for Stereo, this should be known.
------------------
[Edited last by Oliver on July 29, 2001 at 11:38 AM]

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
>>>There really isnt much to say; its a THX approved passive subwoofer with a 12 inch driver, and it delivers the required 110 dB / 1 meter with one unit only. If so...that's not much of a gauge of high quality.
If it goes down to 30 Hz with 110 dB it is more than enough to create a impressive HT performance!
>>> It's a vented/ported design with a special slot used for the port. I have never seen this design before so I would like to hear from someone who actually has one - if possible. slots in their CT series,and the WHISE slots too. some
> ARs...it's not too uncommon. This (7000)slot might be
> unique though...but I can find anything real specific on > it.
I have seen the Whise, but did not know that Velodyne also uses a sloted port design on some of their cheaper models. Externaly the slit on the Teufel look similar to the one found on the Velodyne subs. They have a special name for it of course "differential phase inversion" and claims that a patent has been applied for (however they don't have one yet - I have checked for patents).
Espen

Espen Braathen

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm PW2200? You must be kidding!
First of all the technical specifications are WORSE than the Teufel, also it weights much less than the passive M7000. Its probably a rattle shaking cabinet...
Also, it dos not meet my basic requirements: THX approved and passive design.
Espen

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>First of all the technical specifications are WORSE than the Teufel,>>Also, it dos not meet my basic requirements: THX approved and passive design.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, far be it from me to play the "know it all" because I am definitely not one. However, Espen, it almost sounds to me like you believe that if it is not "THX certified" then it must be crap. Of course, I could be wrong here so feel free to let me know. There is A LOT of non-THX certified equipment that can be classified as outstanding, perhaps even better than certain "certified" units. Take SVS for example. I have a hard time believing that the hundreds of HTF members that give them their thumbs up could all be wrong. And with Tom Nousaine saying "This is serious bass. Easily the best current value on a dB per-$ basis." And "...a fantastic deal." I have to wager that they are great subs. THX certified? Nope.
As for weight, I have a Technics receiver and a Sony receiver. The Technics ways a TON more than the Sony. But listening to them side by side I would have to use the phrase "dynamite comes in small packages".
Now, of course I'm not saying that weight is never a factor, nor am I saying that THX certification (which I hear costs a pretty penny, thus adding to what you have to pay for it) is a bad thing. But by all means, don't rule something out just b/c of that. Take it home and listen to it. Let your ears tell you rather than some companies marketing department. That being said, your requirements are of course your requirements, not mine. I certainly do respect that. Enjoy whichever route you choose. :)
Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks