What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Any Schwarzenegger movie Elijah? Even 'Junior' and that Xmas one he did? [bites fist] ;)
Okay, my favorite Arnie movies, let me think... Conan the Barbarian is a favorite, a part Arnie was born to play, directed by John 'Red Dawn' Milius and a magnificent score by the late great Basil Poledouris. Terminator 1 & 2 of course. Total Recall was bloody good, wore out that video tape. Commando and Red Heat were fun actioners. Running Man was okay. Twins had its moments. Eraser was a decent actioner. Terminator 3 I wasn't that thrilled by. End of Days was a guilty pleasure, Arnie vs Satan, like some big comic book event. Any more? um... there was that clone one er... Sixth Day or something? That had some good moments, a good time passer. What have I missed? um oh yeah Last Action Hero, not great but I liked it. I'm sure I'm missing a biggie... er oh yeah True Lies! Mega action by Jim Cameron and funny too, I lurved it, watched it twice at the cinema, something I rarely do. Crom! What a ramble! :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
"It's NOT A TUMOR!"
Best movie ever made by Schwarzenegger was "Kindergarten Cop". It totally kicked off the genre of "Tough guy is overwhelmed by too many kids" and man, was it classic! The Rock, Vin Diesel and Ice Cube all owe Arnie a huge thank you, as they would not have careers without that film. KC (as I like to call it) will go down as one of the most influential films in film history, and is bound to eclipse such drivel as "2001" and "Lawrence Of Arabia".
htf_imgcache_28406.jpeg

"By CROM! Someone let me kill these F*ckin' KIDS!"
:P

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:laugh: Kindergarten Cop was one of his biggest hits. For a few years in the late 80's early 90's Ahnuldt was the most popular movie star in the world. He was the no.1 bodybuilder, no.1 movie star and now governor of California, if it was a movie no one would believe it. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've seen his movies, and witnessed it with my own eyes and I don't believe it!
The only movies of his I really like are:
Terminator 1&2
Conan The Barbarian
True Lies
I think that's it. I used to love more, but after re-watching "Total Recall" and "Raw Deal", I don;t think I'll like other faves like Commando that much. They're just too cheap and corny. I remember Predator being pretty good too, maybe that one still holds up. I always hated the comedies. He's jsut too much of a crap actor to pull off comedy, and lets face it, his action movies are funy enough unintentionally without him yucking it up. :P

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"If it bleeds we can kill it!" Forgot to mention Predator, one of my favorite Arnie films, another video which got worn out pretty quickly. I don't do that any more, watch the same movie over and over within a short space of time. Back in the day when it was a film I liked repeat viewings were a must, now unless I get a friend or relative visiting and wanting to see the film, some time has to pass before I get the urge to see the same movie again. Or maybe... movies back then had more replay value... ;)
htf_imgcache_28411.jpeg

Well well it had to happen sooner or later, The Guardian newspaper is giving away free dvds of the Japanese classic Gojira (1954) on saturday. Just saw it advertised on tv. I'm telling you newspapers here have gone nuts competing with each other giving away freebies. The Daily Mail has been giving away a free classic war movie dvd every day this week and continues into next week, they include films like Heroes of Telemark, Battle of the River Plate, In Which We Serve, Reach for the Sky and A Matter of Life and Death.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm just saddend that they get free DVDs in there newspapers! Never mind the DVD exclusives they get in the stores! So not fair!!
I got "The Mist" (one of my faves from last year) *Steve cringes* and "Sweeney Todd", I might give them both a spin this weekend though it looks like plans are piling up.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey Russ, does the dvd Mist have a better ending? Or are they still going with the infamous word-of-mouth nullifying finale? :D
I will buy The Mist eventually, no worries. I buy almost anything when the price drops. The cheapest dvd I've ever bought was The Trollenberg Terror which cost me £2. To rent it would have cost me £3.50. :P
Oooh Godzilla tomorrow, but is it the Raymond Burr version? [bites fist] I've bought it already on dvd but I still have to check this freebie out, might look completely different, er was there a colorised version? ;)
Remember this old classic?
htf_imgcache_28467.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28468.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28469.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28470.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28471.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28472.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I sure do remember it! One of my fave monster films of all time!
I'm not sure of an alternate ending on "The Mist", but it has a black and white version on the DVD? Not sure why, have to see the intro.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Russell G said:
I got "The Mist" (one of my faves from last year) . . .
Yay! I got it recently, too. :)
I'm thinking of seeing David Gordon Green's "Snow Angels" this weekend.
Had a bit of a scare with my PS3 last night. There's a new update which lets the machine decode DTS-MA. Anyhow, after downloading the update, an error occurred during installation and the thing kept going in a loop, trying to install, error message, etc. I couldn't stop it or turn if off with the power button -- finally had to turn off the master switch. Got up early this morning to call tech support, but when I tried it, it looked like all was well. The tech was all ready to tell me to pack it up and send it in before I told him it was working this a.m. He'd never heard of one stuck on a loop working after that. When I put in "The Covenant" Blu-Ray just to try it out, it wouldn't load. Stuck in "Crank" Blu-Ray, which loaded up and started to play. (My machine likes Statham, too.) Popped that back out and reinserted "The Covenant", which played this time. Strange! Hopefully, all is well, because I would hate to have to ship such a heavy thing in for repair and I would miss watching my Blu-Rays.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Ohhh...i love The Thing, great movie. we watched it a few weeks ago. Yea, id buy it on Blu-ray too.
I bought The Mist, as a blind buy when it came out. I loved it! The ending is not how i would act, but it didnt bother me.
Watched Dr. Who season premire, the Chritmas one with the space Titanic. It was OK, not great. Now its time for Galactica.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Best movie ever made by Schwarzenegger was "Kindergarten Cop".
I loved the line in KC where Schwarzenegger goes up to the wife beater and tells him "You hit her. Now I am going to hit you!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing I loved about Sneakers was the James Horner score with the great Wynton Marsalis. Very subtle but effective.

Some interesting facts.

The name "Werner Brandes" was inspired by Dr. Werner Brandes, an associate teacher at Phillips Exeter Academy in New England.

Mother wears a T-shirt bearing the name "Aleka's Attic", a band formed by co-star River Phoenix.

Mother wears a t-shirt from the Kingston, Ontario-based band The Tragically Hip, whom Dan Aykroyd loves and promotes. He had them as his musical guests on an episode of "Saturday Night Live" (1975) that he hosted.

The access code entered at the very beginning of the movie ends in 1138, most likely in reference to George Lucas's first film, THX 1138 (1971).

When Liz goes to the Dim Sum bar with Werner Brandes under the assumed name of Dorris, there is a group of singers singing the song "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" in Chinese. In the English version of the song, Leroy Brown gets in trouble over a girl named Dorris.

Robert Redford's jacket is the same one he wears in The Natural (1984).

In Three Days of the Condor (1975)" starring Robert Redford, a CIA building is hit. Subsequently, a list of the casualties is displayed, the final two names on the list being Martin and Bishop, which is Redford's alias in Sneakers (1992).

The term commonly used to describe "information phishing" (e.g., trying to get a person to divulge her password) as applied by hackers, is Social Engineering.

The computer in the room off of Cosmo's office in the PlayTronics building (the one that looks like a circular bench) is actually a Cray Y-MP, a multi-million dollar supercomputer that was one of the worlds fastest computers at the time the film was made.

The movie deals with the impact of a factoring breakthrough on encryption, an obvious reference to the RSA algorithm, the most popular public-key encryption algorithm in use today. 'Prof. Len Adleman' , one of the co-inventors of the RSA algorithm, provided some technical guidance on the film in exchange for giving his wife a chance to meet lead actor Robert Redford.

The warehouse set that the characters are in having a party after getting the device is modeled on the set of the warehouse party in The Conversation (1974).

James Craven is billed in the credits as "FBI Agent". His character introduces himself as "Special Agent Bestrop". Juel Bestrop was casting director for this film.

'Prof. Len Adleman' is one of the three mathematicians who invented the RSA (he's the "A") cryptosystem, currently the preeminent method of encrypting any form of data in the world. Adleman served as a mathematical consultant on the film, and spent several days constructing the slides Janek displays at the college symposium on "unbreakable codes" (which took Adleman a considerable amount of time to create using primitive early-'90s computer graphics technology). In the end, director Phil Alden Robinson had the slides transposed as oil crayon scribbles, on account of the notion that "that's what a regular mathematician would have done". Adleman later remarked that this was indeed true and what he would have done, and would have saved him days if only he'd known.

The maroon Volkswagen Karmann Ghia convertible driven by Robert Redford in the Embarcadero area ("The Handoff" scene) is the same vehicle driven by Mike Myers in So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) - also filmed in San Francisco - the following year.

To prevent the project from being thought of as a kids' movie by being rated G, the directors intentionally added profanity to the script.

James Earl Jones' character, Bernard Abbott, was named after Robert Abbott, a charismatic technical consultant for the film. In addition to being about the same age and complexion as Jones, Bob designed the first time-sharing (multi-user) operating system for the Cray CDC-6600, the predecessor of the Y-MP seen in the film. He is also often referred to as the "Father of Information Security" by seasoned veterans of the computing industry.

Whistler is seen eating a box of "Cap'n Crunch". In the 1970s, "Cap'n Crunch" came with a small whistle in the box. A "phone phreaker" called "Captain Crunch" (John Draper) discovered that this whistle could be used to get free phone calls (one of many components in the practice of "phone phreaking", which digital phone switching-systems has made almost totally obsolete). Whistler is patterned after Joe Engressia, a blind telephone expert born with perfect pitch who was one of the original phone phreakers.

Director Phil Alden Robinson once did an internship at WRGB-TV in Niskayuna, New York. As a favor, he has former WRGB news anchor Ernie Tetrault cast as the news anchor in this film.

Martin Bishop and the crew get paid $2250 for the job at the beginning of the film. The secretary remarks that its "not a very good" living as she types his name on the cashiers check.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wow so much love for Sneakers here, I'll have to give it another spin. Got to admit I was never much of a Robert Redford or Paul Newman fan. Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson were my action heroes 30 years ago, gosh I'm getting old. :)
htf_imgcache_28683.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28684.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28685.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28686.jpeg

htf_imgcache_28687.jpeg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well done chief. I was rummaging thru past 'issues' of Testy and found a few pictures to display on a lazy sunday afternoon. Amazing how many images there are in this tome of a thread, thousands!! :eek:
Steve watched Ghost in the Shell Innocence! Is it dubbed only in R2, like it is here?
er wait a sec Rick... [looks at back of case] um... [squints] ...dubbed in English... and Japanese with subtitles... wait there's more... disc 2 is the film again... but in dts. Good film, spectacular animation but I liked the first film more. The series was pretty good too.
Picked up Godzilla yesterday, it was the subtitled version, I wonder how many Brits grabbed the paper thinking it was in colour and dubbed, or worse case scenario, starring Matthew Broderick. :D
Escape to Athena was todays freebie war dvd, starring Roger Moore, Telly Savalas and David Niven, haven't seen it in ages. Widescreen and anamorphic, nice. Shame it's in a crap cardboard case though.
Forbidden Kingdom, starring Jackie Chan and Jet Li is the no.1 movie at the US box office this weekend. The last martial arts movie to top the box office was Hero 4 years ago.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Stargate???? I only ever saw it once, the uniform looks familiar.
Escape to Athena?? Never herad of it! :frowning:
I was never much for Robert Redford either. I don't mind his work as a director, but his acting always left me flat. I do like Paul Newman though. the Hustler is one of my favorite films.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Stargate the Video Game?? XD
Wing Commander? Wing Commander is the only thing I can think of with that type of uniform. I used to love the game. It had a bunch of really primitive cut scenes that were like watching "Thunderbirds". Cool stuff. Too bad I suck at any type of driving/flying simulator... I could never finish it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.