What's new

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
htf_imgcache_14416.jpeg

But..You..Don't Understand! I swear they just said Khannnnn!!!!!
Didn't...You..Hear that?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[ambles into frame] I see the forums currently in Invisible Ink Skin. Everything still seems to be working okay, typing is in visible ink so... I can get used to it. ;)
Dumbledore is gay, [who fainted?] J.K. Rowling decided to out one of the characters of her Harry Potter novels. So with heavy heart I've decided to sell my Harry Potter collection, including Potter dolls, comics, dvds, soundtracks, toys, posters, underwear, etc and [STOP IT STEVE!] :laugh: Some of the people on the forum did not take the news well, I mean it's her stories, her characters, she can do what she likes. I'm just glad the late great Richard Harris isn't around to hear this... I kid!! Hmmm come to think of it did our young hero Harry fancy any of the girls at his school of magic? [bites fist] Where's Ray when you need him! :D
Watched 2001 A Space Odyssey earlier today, greet mon! It did look a bit better than previous editions, this was my 3rd dvd of the film, I have two R1s and a R2. Haven't watched all the featurettes, it's great that this milestone film is finally getting some overdue attention on digital disc. The film itself holds up well and I didn't fall asleep once. No, great film, fantastic pre-cg era effects, and there's a commentary from Dave Bowman and Frank Poole on there too. :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_imgcache_14804.jpeg

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Had a busy movie-going weekend. Saw in order of preference:
Gone Baby Gone - Strong feature film directorial debut for Ben Affleck, though I'm not convinced brother Casey was the best choice for the lead. I haven't read the novel, but he comes across way too lightweight to bear the moralistic center of the film -- and his thin, raspy voice and occasionally mumbling delivery didn't help. Ed Harris and Amy Ryan steal the show.
Lust, Caution - Not one of Ang Lee's better films for me. It is much too leisurely paced and revolves around such a narrative cliche.
Things We Lost in the Fire - My love of Susanne Bier as a filmmaker trumped my dislike for Halle Berry, though honestly, Ms. Berry gives a fine performance here. (My dislike of her has more to do with how she handles her celebrity.) Benecio Del Toro crosses over into mugging territory several times, but it's a good role for him.
Into the Wild - I had a lot of problems with this film, most basically that Christopher McCandless comes across as a selfish and reckless young man. By consenting to this film, I'm sure his family wanted to celebrate his sense of adventure and bravery in shucking societal constraints -- while it may sound cruel, his actions put his loved ones through hell. If he had not met such a tragic end, would there be cause to tell this story?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Forum seems to be back to normal. :emoji_thumbsup:
And we're closing in on our 2 million views milestone. :eek:
Elizabeth, the only film I've heard of from your films-viewed list was Ang Lee's Lust, Caution. I've read reports that various scenes of copulation in this film are of the um, unfaked variety? [falls off chair]

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Steve Christou said:
Elizabeth, the only film I've heard of from your films-viewed list was Ang Lee's Lust, Caution. I've read reports that various scenes of copulation in this film are of the um, unfaked variety? [falls off chair]
I hadn't really read anything like that about the film, but I must admit that there were certain scenes and positions where I was wondering where. . .um. . .Tony Leung "placed himself" if they were simulating. . . :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Joe, I'm trying to remember was the on screen title for Them! in colour? Or did you colour that in? :P
A Clockwork Orange and The Shining double discs are on their way. And thats it for that set. I'm not that keen on the others. Only 5 Kubrick films get top marks from me, Spartacus, Doctor Strangelove, 2001, Clockwork Orange and The Shining. Alfred Hitchcock remains by far my favorite director with 14 films I'd give top marks to. Signor Spielbergo my no.2. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Steve Christ-2 said:
JA Clockwork Orange and The Shining double discs are on their way. And thats it for that set. I'm not that keen on the others.
Dude, that's 3 of the 5 films right? you sure you couldn't of gotten the set cheaper? I wanted "the shinnin'", "A Clockworks of Orange Miloko" and "Eyes so shut they're open", but found the set cheaper then ordering these separate. So I get "2001 : An Insomniacs Cure" and "Full Metal Jack-off" as bonus films. I think. What the hell is in that set anyways? :P I got the old remastered "final" collection already with "Pre-teen Nightmare" and "Dr. Strangelove : He's German, What did You Expect" in it, so I don't really want to break up that set to get rid of the dupes. I think that will mean I'll have a Kubrick Shelf of 2 boxsets and the couple of singles. I guess I like his movies... XD
oh, Barry Lyndon is in that other set too. I've only seen it once and it took me about 5 days to get through it. Man, was I rested!
I kid, I kid!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:D Russ, Kubrick is one of the greats but he can create a cure for insomnia like no other... I keed! ;)
It's true with the money I've spent on these 3 Kubricks I could have spent a bit more and got the box set. But I also would have had to fork out more dosh for customs duty and waited a bit longer for them to arrive, nah I'm happy with these. :P
I've told this story before, the first time I saw 2001 at the cinema I couldn't make it through to the end, I kept nodding off! Nothing seemed to be happening! I was about 10 years old and it bored the hell out of me, it was the only time I walked out on a film. I gave it another chance in my teens when it was reissued again at some fleapit in the 70's and I loved it. And now I consider it my favorite sci-fi film. The End. :D
Another 2001 anecdote - when it was first shown on tv on the BBC, all the space scenes were shown in widescreen but with a moving starry background on the top and bottom black bars, it was hideous! Wankers! But they made up for that years later by showing the film in complete widescreen, a rare thing for British telly. Good copy it was too. :cool:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
the first time I saw 2001 it did that. I think one of the old VHS tapes had that version on it. I remember a lot of weird stuff on VHS. Odd ball companies like "Magnetic Video" would get the rights to release movies like "Raging Bull", and the copies were always stretched or blown up.
that said, I never bitched about it. Granted, I was probably 8 years old but still. Now a DVD comes out with a scratch on the print and we all pitch a fit. XD VHS was such a novelty, I still can't believe the movies I watched from dad bringing home boxfulls of them for the weekends (A Clockwork orange and deliverance at 10 years old? horror movies mixed with Cheech and Chong and tom & jerry cartoons?) It's his fault I spend so much money collecting them now. :D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Steve, the title card for THEM! was color. I think for a time it was shown black and white, but they restored it back to color in the late 80s? My LD, and DVD have the color title. The movie is still black and white.
I was reading that the Kubrick stuff is hard to find. Is slow shipping out from the distributer, or some such thing.
My Full Metal Jacket shipped today, but not my 2001.
Hope Zen is OK by the way...he lives in San Diego.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.