What's new

Testy Area 51 (3 Viewers)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Greetings, my fellow droogs.
I've received the other day, or the day before now, I nice shipment of DVD's of which all were blind buys. They're all Region 1 and here they are:
Warriors Two (FOX/Fortune Star)
Knockabout (FOX/Fortune Star)
Gallipoli: Special Collector's Edition
Quest For Fire
The Sugarland Express
All purchased from www.dvdpacific.com for all great prices. Three 1970's films and two 1980's. At least my next shipment will have loads more 1980's films if I choose wisely.
And of course, here is what I'm most eager to buy (Asterisks are the titles I've seen):
Dead Poet's Society: Special Edition *
PLATOON: Collector's Edition 2-Disc *
Bachelor Party
The Great Escape: Collector's Edition 2-Disc *
Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Special Edition *(Repurchase)
The Frisco Kid
The Iron-Fisted Monk (FOX/Fortune Star)
DUEL: Collector's Edition
WILLOW: Special Edition *(Repurchase)
And my internet is down for a bit too. I'll post again as soon as it's taken care of.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Free sex is going to be so much better in Hi-Def
I think you're referring to a variation called BDS (Blu ray Disc Sex), although some insist adding an "M" for masochism.

In Canada it will often be a 2:1, even for those suffering from HDDS (HD DVD Sex), because you're forced by law to use a Frenchy.

Note that they may suddenly revoke the licence of your play-thing, if you went fooling around too much.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
...and it'll get even worse in the future when Holographic sex discs arrive on the scene, you'll have to be careful where you point that thing, what am I saying?! Cees fault! Cees and his bawdy humour! ;)
Ray, I use DVD Pacific too, very good prices and a huge selection of films and documentaries.
Gotta love Robert Harris, motion picture restorationist (or is it archivist these days?) and respected HTF member. No snoot he. Robert's a fan of Van Helsing and The Perfect Storm, two films that few people here would admit to liking. A couple of years ago I and a couple of others were seemingly the only people on the forum who enjoyed Van Helsing and saw it for what it was, a fun ride in the ghost house. Now with Robert saying "the film is not only remarkable, but can easily become a guilty pleasure" and "For those with a bent not only for the history of the cinema, but for just having fun, I cannot recommend this film more highly." a few members have popped into his thread agreeing with him, where were these VH fans 2 years ago? :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The city is palled in smoke. The odour suggests range-fire ; in any case, the sky is the colour of lead, and the air is chokingly foul.
Been trying to make that into a haiku, but "nou-en no nioi" seems to have 8 syllables, and I can't recall the word for lead.
I'll be off until Monday beginning soon. Going out of town a little ways, though unfortunately I doubt far enough to escape the smoke.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Pixar's films so far have mostly been fun, although I found the gags in the second "Toy Story" to get a little tired. I'll probably go to see it, if only because that's the only way to get a short with your movie anymore.
I do appreciate the beauty of hand-drawn and -painted cels. It's one of the great pleasures of classic Japanese animation, although a lot of the newer stuff is computer-generated. Of course, there has been plenty of cruddy cel animation over the years!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I find I can't get too excited for CARS, the first Pixar film I've been "meh" about. It looks like a NASCARS fans wet dream.

I would love to see more 2D animation. The CGI stuff is starting to get a cookie cutter quality with all the studios apeing PIXARS look. I've pretty much completly givin up on Dreamworks stuff, with all the pop culture jokes substituting for story.

Interesting that RAH like Van Helsing. I saw it in the theaters and thorughly hated it. I re-visited it a few months ago and guess what? Still hated it. not even Kate in a corset could save it. Tragic film, just tragic.

I do however enjoy "The Perfect Storm". Mark Wahlberg, George Clooney and John C. Riley, easilly the most likeable actors in Hollywood, how can you not like a movie with all of them in it?

What I'd love to see is RAH post something like "A Few Words About Emanuel and the Cannibals", just to see it blow some of the memberships minds.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Cees Alons said:
I think you're referring to a variation called BDS (Blu ray Disc Sex), although some insist adding an "M" for masochism.
In Canada it will often be a 2:1, even for those suffering from HDDS (HD DVD Sex), because you're forced by law to use a Frenchy.
Note that they may suddenly revoke the licence of your play-thing, if you went fooling around too much.
Is that the BCT (Bobbitt Constraint Token) feature I've heard talked about? Where you still get to use it, but at only 1/4 of its original size.
:D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
1 more thing:

I saw the new Bond trailer at X-Men 3. It's the first time I've been excited for a Bond film since "A View To A Kill" kicked me in the guts, smothered me with gas rags and dumped me in an alley with my pants off with it's awfulness back in the 80's. The new Bond looks like he's ready to kick everyones ass sideways at any givin moment. Very cool. It actually reminds me off having the feel of something like Dr. No, which can only be a good thing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I like Brosnan as well, but he was always a little to suave. I think a more edgey Connery type Bond (Suave, but still ass kicky) well be a nice change of pace. The trailer also didn't come off as Tech drivin. Or maybe I should say, as completely gadgety as some of the other Bonds (the last Brosnan film, while fun played more like a commercial than an actual spy story for me, with the watches, anbd cars and whatever elese was in it that escapes me at the moment, hell personal appearances of Brosnan seemed to be pitching items as much as the film), but a little more naturalistic. For a bond film of course, I dooubt too many spys are flitting around in $100,000 dollar cars.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
proposition_ver5.jpg

I just saw a screening of this film.... :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
It's been too long since someone has released a really good western... and this film exceeded all my expectations!
proposition.jpg
proposition_ver6.jpg
proposition_ver4.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Never heard of it Nils, but I love westerns, particularly old westerns. I'll keep an eye out for it on cable or dvd.
New York - The Future. The shot was taken from the trailer, it's not the correct ratio. Any guesses? :cool:
HAL-9000-19.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been waiting for "The Proposition" Great to know it gets a Droogy thumbs up.

So who's everyone cheering for in the World Cup? Being as my family are all ex-pats from Scotland and England, and Canada performed in it's typical manner, I have to side with England this time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Steve,
That's not a pic form Bi-Centinial man is it? I've never seen it. "Heartbeeps" was enough of a "Comdians I Respect Done Up Like Robots" film for me.
06.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Russell, you are correct, it was Bicentennial Man. I thought the ratio of the shot might be confusing. It's been a while since I saw the film, which was based on an Isaac Asimov story. I remember liking some of the effects, interesting concept, sort of a sci-fi variation on Pinocchio, or was that A.I.? Anyway the basic premise was "Robot slave wants respect, wants to be human" but like a lot of Robin Williams films it does get bogged down in sentimentality.
Yay the World Cup has started, as one of the commentators accurately stated:
"Welcome to Planet Football". :D
Cyprus to win! Sorry I mean Go England!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
interesting concept, sort of a sci-fi variation on Pinocchio, or was that A.I.?
I think that was A.I. A not terrible picture, actually, a pretty good one. Is the Asimov story the oft quoted "I Robot"? I've never read it, but did really love the EC comics adaptation called "Adam" (I think) in Weird Science and Fantasy. I tried to read Asimovs' "Foundation" back in grade six, but it made my head hurt so I ditched it. It's actually turned me off of Sci-Fi fiction, although I'm dipping my toes in the water with the recent purchase of Robert Howards original Conan and Soloman Kane books. I know those are fantasy as opposed to Sci-Fi, but they're kitty corner to the Sci-Fi in most book stores, so it's still toe dipping.
Soloman-Kane.jpg

This is a mans book. So testosterone filled it would grow a pair of balls on Scarlet Johanson. I couldn't help but think it would make an awesome set of TV movies on HBO or something.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rolls into frame] Scarlet Johnson?! Russ who's... oh you mean Scarlett Yohaannssenn! ;) Me kid.
I read Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane & Conan & Kull many many moons ago Russell. If you enjoy heroic fantasy I'd recommend giving Michael Moorcock a go. Moorcock's Eternal Champion series of novels are must reads in the genre, and the albino Elric of Melnibone with his famous black sword Stormbringer is probably the most popular protagonist of the Moorcock multiverse. I also enjoyed a lot of David Gemmell's work.[slides out of frame]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.