What's new

Testy Area 51 (4 Viewers)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that fun Elijah!

I have a friend who is using his DVD Profiler with his Media Center PC such that he is storing his DVDs on hard drives and saving the original discs and cases in storage to save space. I would love to be able to do that as well, but the size of my collection and the limits of today's PC's wont make it worth the effort.

As to your question about unique ways of using databases, DVD Profiler does allow you to make customized reports which include coffee-table style books, binder pages, etc. You can also export your database in various formats, including Excel's spreadsheet form.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
With a bar code reader you could probably add over a thousand DVD's in under an hour.
Yes, perhaps. But not the other data I stored, like the price, day of purchase, etc., etc.

Also, I cannot export the data from profiler to my own database, it seems.

Cees

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
But not the other data I stored, like the price, day of purchase, etc., etc. Also, I cannot export the data from profiler to my own database, it seems.
Actually you can do both.

Once you have scanned in your DVD's into your Profiler database, then you can export it as a tab delineated file.

With that file, you can then add the extra information to your own database and/or you can cut and paste the missing data from your old database into the file and then import that file back into your Profiler database.

That's what I did when I switched to DVD Profiler a few years ago and it worked like a charm.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've got too many films to add to Profiler Nils with or without a barcode scanner, and many of them are on vhs, though they're dwindling fast as I replace them with dvds. But some, like Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young, aren't even on dvd yet. I remember paying £42 for those two films recorded on one 4 hour tape back in the early 80's, £42! A lot of dosh for a couple of old movies back then, but I had to have 'em.:)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Okay peeking at my movie database, I find I now have a total of 3107 films on my shelves. But that figure includes doubles and triples, take them out and I have 2688 different films dating from 1916 to 2005.
I don't consider feature length documentaries as movies, they're in a seperate database.
Here's a breakdown of my films by decades and genre.
1910's - 001
1920's - 004
1930's - 127
1940's - 175
1950's - 245
1960's - 275
1970's - 296
1980's - 545
1990's - 644
2000's - 376
Science Fiction - 411
Horror - 414
Fantasy - 162
War - 83
Western - 120
Historical - 138
Musical - 77
Animation - 170
Comedy - 294
HK & Japan Cinema - 188
Thriller / Drama - 631
Whoa! I didn't realise I had so many horror films.
Science fiction is my favorite genre btw.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Great...

I mention that my signature link is updated and everyone goes on a binge about online DVD databases...

No wonder why I've been lurking lately.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Something like that...but not in Testy!

The most important rules in Testy Area 51 are:

(1) Never make a post with a hansom looking (serial) number unless your name is Steve Christou.

(2) In Testy your post count per page must be set to 30, or else we won't understand you.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Cees. :D :emoji_thumbsup: If it's not the DVD Database Wars it's the Format Wars if it's not the Format Wars it's the PAL/NTSC Wars if it's not the PAL/NTSC Wars it's the Peloponnesian Wars if it's not[STOP IT STEVE!]

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hey wait a minute!
I thought the first two rules of Testy Area 51 were:
1) You do not talk about Testy Area 51
2) You DO NOT talk about Testy Area 51!
;)
BTW: Plushy Bunny for the first one to correctly list all the official rules of Fight Club.
boxing_smiley.gif
smiley_rules.gif

Elijah

Supporting Actor
(2) In Testy your post count per page must be set to 30, or else we won't understand you.
Yeah, but im not going to read this until months from now since im not on page 90 Kagilion like you guys. No wonder testy seems so big with 2.3 posts per page :D Its all smoke and mirrors I tell ya

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.