Testy Area 51

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thar she blows! From hell's heart I stab at thee. For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale! "That ain't no whale cap'n, that a great white god." Shut your hole Pip.

How's everyone? Christmas 2020 might be canceled. Damn this virus.

Here in the UK there was a big ruckus recently over the patriotic songs 'Rule Britannia' & 'Land of Hope and Glory' being too offensive for non-Brits living in our country and that they weren't going to be sang as usual at the yearly Proms. Luckily they changed their minds. F*uck this sh*t.
I hate all this politically correct woke crap. If you're easily offended by British history don't live here! It's that simple.
Can't wait till we're out of the EU.

Christopher Nolan's Tenet has had mixed reviews which gives me a good excuse to skip my planned cinema trip, and there's no way I'm wearing that damn mask for more than 2 hours. But I'm not missing Bond or Dune. (Thats what you said about Tenet Steve) shurrup you!

R.I.P. Diana Rigg

Diana Rigg tt.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Is that an authorized publicity photo?

Maybe they should perform Thomas Arne's entire opera Alfred to put that song in context. I have a recording of the opera.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Here in the UK there was a big ruckus recently over the patriotic songs 'Rule Britannia' & 'Land of Hope and Glory' being too offensive for non-Brits living in our country and that they weren't going to be sang as usual at the yearly Proms. Luckily they changed their minds. F*uck this sh*t.
I hate all this politically correct woke crap. If you're easily offended by British history don't live here! It's that simple.
Can't wait till we're out of the EU.
Amen, brother. We're having the same difficulties in the states.

That clip Dennis posted of Rule, Britannia was so much fun to watch. To see such an exuberant patriotic crowd is absolutely uplifting and a wonderful thing to behold. I wish we would see that kind of excitement by a crowd in the US when hearing The Star Spangled Banner.

Just after the Boston Marathon bombing, this spontaneously happened at a Boston Bruins ice hockey game:

The Proms, itself, is a grand tradition.

Reactions: Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Good stuff guys. Couldn't help noticing a sea of white faces in both videos. [snickers] :)

Covid 19 cases are on the increase here in the UK though the death count is low. 9 covid related deaths in the past 24hrs. Seems its hitting young people mostly. Raves and parties are being outlawed, family get togethers of more than 6 are not allowed. Hundreds of years ago England's 'Lord Protector' Oliver Cromwell cancelled Christmas, and he didn't have a deadly virus as an excuse, now Boris Johnson will be deeply unpopular if he does the same this year. My feelings? Stop telling people what do. Stop making up rules. Let us get on with our lives. Common sense will prevail.

Mike Frezon

Premium
We're expecting the Governor of NY to cancel Halloween Trick-or-Treating at the end of next month (where kids go door-to-door in costumes collecting candy from neighbors).

Who knows anymore?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I shouldn't visit here.

I'm getting a new set delivered Friday from BB. Same price as Amazon with nicer delivery. It's the TCL 55S535, a 55" 4K set with Dolby Vision. I'm not sure how much better it will be than my 2015 1080P Sharp but at $450 I won't be out too much money.

I seem to recall spending about $300 for a 13" color set about 40 years ago.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
TCL's upscaling is really good. I watched the scene in Jurassic Park BRD where they are flying in over the ocean, and the water really looked real for the first time.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
4k tellys are getting cheaper all the time, they'll be falling out of your morning cornflakes packet soon (if the packet was big enough). :D

Problem is people still buy DVDs, they're only £4 or £5 cheaper than blu-rays but the masses out there don't think it's worth the upgrade despite everyone having HD TVs.

Meanwhile my nephew has gone full retro, he has been busy collecting 'rare' VHS movies and laser discs from ebay and elsewhere the past 12 months, sending me photos of his proud collection. What are you going to do with all that junk? I tell him. I don't think he knows. Have to admit though the laser disc covers with their original poster art look great. I wasn't an LD collector but I came close back in the 90s, luckily DVD popped up just in time to save me from another huge costly collection. I still have all my DVDs here, hiding behind my blu-rays, I have deep shelves. They do get played occasionally, I don't have every film on blu-ray.

GIL ELVGREN - Napa Auto Parts Pin-Up.jpg

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16