Testy Area 51

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hi Ray, you look just like Ray Charles in your signature photo, or should that be 'avatar'.

I still have the prettiest avatar on the forum. :)

Do you remember the signature photos we used to have under the comments? Is that still allowed? I think Zen still has his. I used to upload a different picture every few weeks, mostly screenshots from movies.

I haven't upgraded to 4k. I wonder how long I can hold it off. 12 years ago I was adamant that DVD was good enough and didn't need to jump into HD. Until I went to a friends house and he showed off the clarity on his HD TV, I think an episode of Family Guy was playing and it did the trick, it was crystal clear. When I went home and watched some shows on my TV I soon noticed a strange fuzziness around objects and general lack of sharpness, damn damn, take my money you bastards! :3dglasses:

the right to arm bears.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
No 4k for me yet either, Steverino.

Still using my big bad 55" Panasonic plasma. And will continue to do so until I can't use it no more! It is starting to do a thing in which once or twice a night it will shut itself off. But I can turn it right back on without any issues and it stays on for hours. But that might be a sign that it's starting to near its end (but aren't we all?).

I might go up to a 65" if I can convince Peg that such a move won't trigger the end times. :D

I am constantly amazed as I walk through electronics stores how absolutely cheap 4k displays are.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Mike, I know 4K tellys are cheap over here too. But if we switch to 4K we'll be mighty tempted to buy our favorite movies again for the umpteenth time in 4K format, and 8k is on the way. It never ends! :D

I still have my trusty 42inch 1080p TV, I haven't got the heart to retire it. I love the colors. What if I upgrade and the new TV has muted colors?
I know excuses excuses. Next year I'll jump to 55". (I say that every year)

Last edited:

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't made the 4K jump yet either. I well when my TV conks out, which may be sooner than later. Then eventually I'll have a console of some type that will play a 4K disc. I own three 4K discs:

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Tammy And the T-Rex

Rad

Guess which one out of the three I actively sought out! :lol:

My physical media purchases have dropped off significantly. We're not supposed to talk about it here, but I set up a Plex server on a NAS to play files and I'm good enough using those for 99% of the new stuff that comes out. I'll slowly transfer my non-essential DVDs to it once I get my music sorted out. I was selling off a bunch of the collection, but covid put a hold on it.

1597184904765.png

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Russ, looking at my movie files I do have some 4k movies in the collection, blu-ray disc was included and the price was good -
The Martian, The Revenant, Close Encounters, Oblivion, Deadpool, Alita Battle Angel and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Not a bad start eh? Nope, still not tempted. :unsure:

Perfect Sense 03h.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Russ, looking at my movie files I do have some 4k movies in the collection, blu-ray disc was included and the price was good - The Martian, The Revenant, Close Encounters, Oblivion, Deadpool, Alita Battle Angel and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

View attachment 76849
The Martian in 4K justifies the existence of 4K all by its self. It is fabulous. This is from someone who loves 3D and has the Martian in 3D and the 3D is quite good. I imagine it would be even more spectacular with an OLED set.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Russ, looking at my movie files I do have some 4k movies in the collection, blu-ray disc was included and the price was good - The Martian, The Revenant, Close Encounters, Oblivion, Deadpool, Alita Battle Angel and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Your Kubrick 2001 trumps all of mine haha! The last film I saw in the cinema before all this stuff was 2001 A Space Odyssey. sigh

??? Why is this obscure title part of the 3 you own?
I have a subscription to the company that put it out, Vinegar Syndrome. It was there first 4K disc. Rad was their second. Tammy is actually pretty great,they did the disc off the uncut negative. Before it became a kiddy VHS shelf filler that no one rented, it was a gore filled comedy that was actually pretty entertaining if you like stupid gore filled comedies. Star Denise Richards actually sat down for an interview for the special features, what a gal!

1597186004845.png

1597186042866.png

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Your Kubrick 2001 trumps all of mine haha! The last film I saw in the cinema before all this stuff was 2001 A Space Odyssey. sigh

I have a subscription to the company that put it out, Vinegar Syndrome. It was there first 4K disc. Rad was their second. Tammy is actually pretty great,they did the disc off the uncut negative. Before it became a kiddy VHS shelf filler that no one rented, it was a gore filled comedy that was actually pretty entertaining if you like stupid gore filled comedies. Star Denise Richards actually sat down for an interview for the special features, what a gal!

View attachment 76850

View attachment 76851
Denise Richards, well then, how can you go wrong? ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Martian in 4K justifies the existence of 4K all by its self. It is fabulous. This is from someone who loves 3D and has the Martian in 3D and the 3D is quite good. I imagine it would be even more spectacular with an OLED set.
That's another thing, my LG TV is 3D and they seem to be going the way of the dodo. I like 3D. I still watch movies in 3D when I can. I have over 200 movies in 3D. If I upgrade the new TV has to include 3D. Otherwise I'm stuck with my 42 inch stereoscopic tv until it eventually blows a gasket. (hmm do TVs have gaskets?)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I haven't upgraded to 4k. I wonder how long I can hold it off.
In North America the time is arriving. See my post in Displays.

ATSC 3.0 is being deployed this year. It supports 4K OTA, and later 8K OTA. After 2025 ATSC 1.0 will be switched off and you will be required to have ATSC 3.0 capability.

Boise already has its first ATSC 3.0 station. Low-tech NYC lags behind us once again.

Beats me what's going on in the EU and UK (I have to mention them separately these days).

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Star Denise Richards actually sat down for an interview for the special features, what a gal!
She's a trooper!

Would that left side be his liberal side?
Ya see...and it wrecks 'em when you have to explain 'em...if they cut off his entire left side, then he's only got a "right" side--making him "all right."

If I upgrade the new TV has to include 3D. Otherwise I'm stuck with my 42 inch stereoscopic tv until it eventually blows a gasket.
NO new TVs have 3-D capabilities, Steve. All the manufacturers have cut the legs out from under 3-D tech.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outreacher